Theoretical query re NIF files & CBBE Bodyslide

TJHinSkyrim

I note that although Bodyslide is a very good tool, it doesn't appear to allow much variation in the height of the mesh or changing the ratios of body part heights within the mesh.

As it stands now, the only sections with an adjustable height are the sections between the ribs and waist and the waist and upper hips. Even then, the total of the section between the ribs and upper hips is constant.

Assuming that Bodyslide will continue to keep the height of the body mesh constant, is it theoretically possible to adjust the ratios of heights of certain body sections?

I appreciate that Bodyslide doesn't have this functionality just yet, but I'm curious as to whether it would be possible at all.

Technically it would depend on what particular body sections you're concerned with, but generally speaking if the body section is a part of the body that moves very much the answer is going to be no, because the skeleton and the skeleton's animations want joints in specific locations relative to the rest of the mesh. For example, you could shorten the legs, but the skeleton is set to have a specific distance between the hip and the knee and the knee and the foot, so it will actually stretch the mesh back to its original length to preserve the distance. It's why stuff like this happens:

game_glitch_fallout_4.png

The game thinks the NPC is wearing power armor, so it applies the Power Armor skeleton and stretches the mesh to fit. I haven't actually looked at the default FO4 skeleton because NifSkope hates me, but I'd guess that the reason you can alter those particular ratios in Bodyslide is because the skeleton for the torso is very simple and, unlike for arms and legs, the movement joints in that area don't need to be very specifically located since motion there is not nearly as pronounced; the changes you are making to the body in Bodyslide are only altering the part of the mesh you actually see while the bones for the skeleton remain stationary so long as the distance between the top and bottom of the torso remains constant.

Now when we get the GECK and F4SE is developed enough, it may be possible to make certain changes to the skeleton on-the-fly like we can in Skyrim, but the changes won't be able to come via BodySlide-produces meshes.

@zippy57 - thanks very much for getting back to me.

What you've said makes sense to me and I really appreciate that you included a picture to help illustrate your example.

It took me a couple of read-throughs to get that a skeleton was separate to a mesh, but I'm with you now.

I guess the pipedream is that Bodyslide can have a skeleton add on that will allow the creation of matching skeletons and meshes with altered ratios. As someone who'd like different proportioned people in game, a second pipedream would be to have FO4 modded in such a way to allow the use of multiple skeletons.

Hopefully, the GECK and F4SE will allow this to occur.

@zippy57 - thanks very much for getting back to me.

What you've said makes sense to me and I really appreciate that you included a picture to help illustrate your example.

It took me a couple of read-throughs to get that a skeleton was separate to a mesh, but I'm with you now.

I guess the pipedream is that Bodyslide can have a skeleton add on that will allow the creation of matching skeletons and meshes with altered ratios. As someone who'd like different proportioned people in game, a second pipedream would be to have FO4 modded in such a way to allow the use of multiple skeletons.

Hopefully, the GECK and F4SE will allow this to occur.

Acturally the BS has a ref skeleton system (see the ref folder) and BS has even more potential on skeleton like weight maping

Another fact is FO4 the game itself can handle different skeleton files (for different races,each race can have 2 skeletons), and the game has an ingame skeleton morph system like the Nioveride mods in skyrim

Check the mod named "busty"

Archived