SKSE hates japanese

Robert_jj

Hi,

so apparently SKSE is not doing great alongside the japanese version of the game. I recently deleted Skyrim (not just the game, all related folders and entrys aswell) and wanted to reinstall it. So what i do is:

1. download via steam

2. launch the game for the first time via the vanilla launcher.

3. install SKSE (drag&drop).

4: launch SKSE: "Please update to the latest version of Skyrim." and insta-close.

If i switch the language to english in steam, it redownloads a bunch of files and it works fine just like before deinstallation. I'm not new to Skyrim modding and normally i know what i'm doing but this one leaves me completely puzzeled.

I tried other suggestions from other forums, such as exchaging the japanese .exe with english ones but so far nothing seems to work, same error.

The game is running just fine if i launch it normally, but Skyrim without SKSE is kinda pointless.

Any thoughts, am i missing something obvious?

It is well-known that SKSE cannot handle 'official' Japanese version of TESV.exe, so you have to 'overwrite' it with English version somehow. 

I assume that very few Japanese Skyrim players on PC actually play Skyrim in 'official' Japanese version .exe.

Have you tried as stated the following link (in Japanese)?: http://wiki.skyrim.z49.org/?FAQ%2F%C6%FC%CB%DC%B8%EC%B2%BD#u14f48b7

It can be summed: 

1. Back up your copy of English version of TESV.exe

2. You have to download japanese version of Skyrim at least once by switching the language setting on Steam, in order to extract 3 kinds of Japanese strings of DG, HF, and DB from each DLCs' .bsa file (by some .bsa extractor like MO), like dawnguard_japanese.dlstrings, dawnguard_japanese_strings, dawnguard_japanese_ilstrings.

3. These extracted strings files should be placed into Skyrim>data>strings directory. Otherwite: CTD on Title.

4. Overwriting Japanese version of TESV.exe with back uped English ver.

4. Be sure to check the language setting in Skyrim.ini as [General] sLanguage=Japanese

It is well-known that SKSE cannot handle 'official' Japanese version of TESV.exe, so you have to 'overwrite' it with English version somehow. 

I assume that very few Japanese Skyrim players on PC actually play Skyrim in 'official' Japanese version .exe.

Have you tried as stated the following link (in Japanese)?: http://wiki.skyrim.z49.org/?FAQ%2F%C6%FC%CB%DC%B8%EC%B2%BD#u14f48b7

It can be summed: 

1. Back up your copy of English version of TESV.exe

2. You have to download japanese version of Skyrim at least once by switching the language setting on Steam, in order to extract 3 kinds of Japanese strings of DG, HF, and DB from each DLCs' .bsa file (by some .bsa extractor like MO), like dawnguard_japanese.dlstrings, dawnguard_japanese_strings, dawnguard_japanese_ilstrings.

3. These extracted strings files should be placed into Skyrim>data>strings directory. Otherwite: CTD on Title.

4. Overwriting Japanese version of TESV.exe with back uped English ver.

4. Be sure to check the language setting in Skyrim.ini as [General] sLanguage=Japanese

Hi, yes i tried the .exe swap with no succes, however the wiki article was very helpful, thanks!

For anyone interested and to lazy to read the wiki:

Yes it's basically as you said, copy the jpanese strings and rename them as english ones, but you also have to download an extra file that does some kind of patching work, don't know what happens if you skip that step. Also, in the skyrim.ini the language setting should be english (because you troll skyrim into thinking it is the english version, just with jp strings). I have kept the original exe, maybe the downloaded patch does swap them. And for japanese voices, copy paste the voice files from the japanese folder.

Archived