List of Well Known Skyrim Bugs/Glitches & Their Solutions

bjornk

This is a list of well known Skyrim Bugs/Glitches and their solutions. It's not a complete one, but I'll try to update the list as I remember more and also on other people's input. The bugs/glitches listed below should give you an idea what the list is all about.

Disclaimer: The list mostly covers the bugs that are related to game mechanics and the engine and does not include quest, dialogue and other bugs related to the game content in Skyrim.

• Inverted SHIFT key function

Description: When you hold down the SHIFT key, your character is walking instead of running, because the function of the SHIFT key has been inverted in the game.

Solution: To revert the SHIFT key function back to normal, open your inventory by pressing I and then close it again by pressing SHIFT+I. Opening another menu and closing it while holding down the SHIFT key does the job too.

How to Avoid: Try not to activate anything (open load doors, start dialogue with NPCs) while holding down the SHIFT key.

Mod Solution: See here.

• You cannot quit Skyrim using ALT+F4 keys

Description:You may have noticed that you can not quit Skyrim using the ALT+F4 key combination.

Solution: ?

How to Avoid: NA

• Windows mouse pointer appears in the game after ALT+TAB (aka. double cursor)

Description: You see the Windows mouse pointer along with Skyrim's mouse pointer when you ALT+TAB in and out of Skyrim.

How to Avoid: Open the console by pressing ~ key before doing ALT+TAB.

Mod Solution: See here and here.

• Low prices for player enchanted items

Description: Despite being a master enchanter you get very low prices for the items you have enchanted.

Solution: The low prices you see do not reflect the actual values of these items. Save your game, quit Skyrim and reload the save in order to get the actual values/prices for them. Yes, this is a bug, not a game feature.

How to Avoid: ?

Mod Solution: ?

• CTD upon casting "Bound Sword"

Description: Skyrim crashes upon casting "Bound Sword" with your right hand.

Solution: To fix this use player.resetinventory console command (read more here).

Mod Solution: ?

• CTD while saving the game

Description: The game crashes to desktop when you attempt to save the game. Often happens with script heavy mods and/or mods that save additional data along with the normal save data, with support of a SKSE plugin (a DLL file).

How to Avoid: Waiting a few seconds before clicking on [NEW SAVE] helps.

• CTD on showracemenu

Description: The game crashes to desktop when you use showracemenu console command.

• CTD while loading a save after game launch

Description: The game crashes to desktop when you attempt to load your save for the first time after you've launched the game.

Solution: ? (Not a solution, but as a workaround, try starting a new game, or load an earlier save that works and then load the save you want).

• Player's eyes glowing blue (aka. draugr eyes) or other strange FX attached to player

Description: At a certain point in the game you may become infected with a strange FX such as the draugr eyes effect which makes the PC eyes glow blue, or a steam FX from a Dwarven Centurion etc. (Some links discussing the issue: 1, 2, 3.)

Solution: Try using player.dispelallspells console command or using player.addspell <SPELL_ID> add the related spell (see below) to the PC and then remove it using player.removespell <SPELL_ID>.

SPELL_ID for blue Draugr Eyes FX: F71D1

SPELL_ID for Dwarven Centurion steam FX: 30FBE

SPELL_ID for ice wraith FX: CAF8A

See here for more detail.

• Player's eyes become glitched/bugged

Description: Sometimes your character's eyes may become glitched after using invisibility spells, or after sleeping etc.

Mod Solution: There are several causes of this problem and several solutions you might want to try.

To fix the eye glitch caused by invisibility spells:

Eyes Glitch Fix by bellwood2206

Invisibility Glitch - Eyes Fix by KingsGambit

To fix the eye glitch caused by sleeping:

Try using the eye meshes and textures that come with Fair Skin Complexion by HHaleyy.

• Player character no longer blinks

Description: You may have noticed that after the last official Skyrim patch (1.9.32.0) your character's eyes no longer blink. This is one of the things that the last official patch broke.

Mod Solution: Use either MFG Console or the Sexlab Animation Framework which comes with MFG Console. You don't need to use both.

Low prices for player enchanted items

Description: Despite being a master enchanter you get very low prices for the items you have enchanted.

Solution: The low prices you see do not reflect the actual values of these items. Save your game, quit Skyrim and reload the save in order to get the actual values/prices for them. Yes, this is a bug, not a game feature.

Try that one:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52717/?

I will include the mod solutions as alternatives, but I prefer solutions that don't require additional mods. I will also avoid including issues caused by mods.

I'd say the alt+tab double cursor is best solved by that mod I linked. The reason is because sometimes the game might alt+tab out by itself (some other program in the background wants to update, virus warning, etc). If that happens, you will get the double cursor. From my personal experience, it is so good that I found that mod, I never have to see that annoying double cursor again.

Then again, this is your list, so it is up to you what you include here. :)

CTD while loading a save after game launch

I have 2 solutions for this. The one you mentioned and also if you can, save in a small area, in a house or cave.

You can also try to use safetyload  (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/46465/? ) , but what really works is the 1st solution. I personally always have a Start another life save for this reason, when all the mods are already initialized.

Low prices for player enchanted items

Try that one:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52717/?

Unfortunately, this mod doesn't fix the item value/price problem. The low value/price for the high level enchantment is kept after quitting and reloading.

In fact, the author sees the high prices as a bug, so he doesn't even aim to fix this bug.

You may have noticed the game engine bug that causes weapon enchantments to drain more charges

after you save and reload the game. The price of enchanted weapons also jumps significantly higher.

Those higher prices are the real prices and also what they should be. If you compare those to prices of vanilla enchanted items they'd make sense too. For instance, if a vanilla sword that absorbs 20 health costs 5000 gold, a player enchanted one that absorbs 40 health should cost about double.

CTD while saving the game

This happened to me when I was using mods that prevent death, like Death Alternative.

The solution I was using is to:

1. Load a savegame where the bug is not present.

2. Use console (~) and type: player.kill

3. Immediately hit escape and load the game where you have the bug.

4. Use console and player.kill again.

5. It should be fixed now.

Windows mouse pointer appears in the game after ALT+TAB (aka. double cursor)

As already pointed out earlier in the thread everybody needs to use OneTweak. It's a gamechanger.

CTD while loading a save after game launch

This happens to me relentlessly. My only CTD these days are usually when loading a save to begin a new session. A couple of solutions:

1. Load an earlier save and then load the later save once the game is loaded. Lower chance of CTD.

2. Use Save Game Script Cleaner and kill "active scripts". Should load now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest toymachine

@marv4791

I stopped using OneTweak, It's not reliable for me. Often times I cannot atl+tab to another window. The only way it will always work is if I load a save from the start screen and tab out and wait for it to load, then go back to the game. Otherwise I will try and alt+tab to another window and it won't work.

I went back to his Borderless Window and Double Cursor Fix mods because they always work 100% for me.

I think it's always nice to provide more than one link to a mod that does the same for those that may not have a solution from one. Just a suggestion.

@bjornk

I had a question for you. I was going to ask in the eye glitch help post someone recently made, but I figured it would be better to ask here.

Do you (or anyone for that matter) know if the right eye glare bug on followers is a vanilla bug or caused by a mod? My current two followers I have recently made have this problem but the thing is, they aren't using any special eye mesh. Using eyes of beauty and I'm using the Eye Normal Map Fix, which can't be the cause of it. People have reported this bug before that mod even came out.

And you may want to add this to the list. Probably not a bug just something they didn't add within the ini config file. Not sure but SKSE - Elys- AltF4 lets you use media keys on your keyboard for volume, mute control and even forward/back track if you are listening to any mp3 tunes without having to alt+tab out.

Do you (or anyone for that matter) know if the right eye glare bug on followers is a vanilla bug or caused by a mod? My current two followers I have recently made have this problem but the thing is, they aren't using any special eye mesh. Using eyes of beauty and I'm using the Eye Normal Map Fix, which can't be the cause of it. People have reported this bug before that mod even came out.

Don't know, never had (or noticed) such an issue, but I've stopped using the Eye Normal Map Fix as it really doesn't look right to me.

I'm going to add the eye glitch issue to the list though.

And you may want to add this to the list. Probably not a bug just something they didn't add within the ini config file. Not sure but SKSE - Elys- AltF4 lets you use media keys on your keyboard for volume, mute control and even forward/back track if you are listening to any mp3 tunes without having to alt+tab out.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it.

For the inverted shift key problem: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58246/?

Heh, someone attempted to create a fix for it a month after my post, I didn't see it naturally. :D Not sure if it really works but I'm gonna add it as a mod solution anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm having the CTD on trying to load a save game problem. An the listed work around isn't working. I'd load up a game that was working an it's still close out the game.

The same thing happened to me very recently. The solutions above may not work for every save. Sometimes you just have to discard the save and go back to a working one I'm afraid.

I had a "magic effect stuck to player" problem several times with the death hounds from Dawnguard. The black cloud effect from a dead death hound would sometimes be stuck on my player character. My personal solution was to find and disable the corpse, and the effect would disappear.

Maybe this is something else you can add to the list (http://www.loverslab.com/topic/42462-camera-zoom-not-working/page-2). Though, it seems to be a hardware related issue with Skyrim. I was looking up a problem but mine had to do with changing poses in tfc mode that causes my mouse wheel to not zoom in/out and my rmb lmb to not engage in magic or weapon.

Yes, I sometimes have that TFC problem too, never found a solution though. I don't think it's hardware related but I'm going to try setting bMouseAcceleration to 0 in SkyrimPrefs.ini and see if it fixes the problem.

These are my current settings:

bGamePadRumble=0

bMouseAcceleration=1

bUseKinect=0

This problem/solution concerns the Creation Kit and something that I had to deal with recently.

If CK crashes after a few minutes (about 5-10) even when nothing is being edited when the crashing occured, have a look at the crash alert pop-up window.  If it shows the root cause is:

Fault Module Name: XAudio2_6.dll_unloaded

the solution is to open 'SkyrimEditor.ini', go to the AUDIO category and look for 'bEnableAudio'.  If it's there, change the value from "1" to "0" (bEnableAudio=0).  If it's not there then add 'bEnableAudio=0'.  Save the changes and start up CK.

Thank you for this list. I was thinking of doing the same some time ago and already have small list but I'm glad you did it first since you did great job, muuuuch better that I will ever do. :)

Archived