Recently came back to modding, so yeah I'm so amazed with blockhead and I understand the concept, however im such a newbie regarding implementing it on my own created race.

Can someone shine me the light or show me the path on how to create a blockhead unique mesh mainly upper and lowerbody meshes (only meshes) for my custom race?

Thank you very much

If you want a scripted race (that is its entire racial assets are not defined in CS, you want to manipulate it through script) yeah I can help you. The example is in one of my recent mods called HiyokoGeneratorGeneForge. That's kinda headachy though.

Otherwise if you simply want to assign an unique body set for your race that is independent from the default fe/male upper/lowerbody in the _male folder, it's explained in the blockhead's documentation. You'll use the tier 3 per-race override mode.

I think the Blockhead documentation only gives hints to be honest. Practical examples would be better.

You probably want to use Tier 2 for race, and this is the simplest way to use Blockhead.

So:

To overide breton female upperbody meshes:

~Data\meshes\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\breton_upperbody.nif

Note that the mesh name is NOT femaleupperbody.nif as you might expect.

To overide male drenai lowebody meshes:

~Data\meshes\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\M\draenai_lowerbody.nif

One of the things that Blockhead DOESN'T mention is that with most body replacers you might be using, the only texture you want to override is the 'foot' texture.

Best person to ask would probably be movomo as they probably have lots of knowledge on the inner workings of blockhead and how to use it for what you need it to do. Here is a post from them from awhile back helping elalquimista to use blockhead the way that they wanted to use it. http://www.loverslab.com/topic/39936-blockhead-help/?hl=blockhead

I'll check it own, thank you :)

If you want a scripted race (that is its entire racial assets are not defined in CS, you want to manipulate it through script) yeah I can help you. The example is in one of my recent mods called HiyokoGeneratorGeneForge. That's kinda headachy though.

Otherwise if you simply want to assign an unique body set for your race that is independent from the default fe/male upper/lowerbody in the _male folder, it's explained in the blockhead's documentation. You'll use the tier 3 per-race override mode.

No scripted race, just a custom race that has his/her custom texture/mesh without the use of setbody. I have a hard time understanding the documentation, I tried really hard but failed, can you explain or guide a noob here? pretty please :)

I think the Blockhead documentation only gives hints to be honest. Practical examples would be better.

You probably want to use Tier 2 for race, and this is the simplest way to use Blockhead.

So:

To overide breton female upperbody meshes:

~Data\meshes\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\breton_upperbody.nif

Note that the mesh name is NOT femaleupperbody.nif as you might expect.

To overide male drenai lowebody meshes:

~Data\meshes\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\M\draenai_lowerbody.nif

One of the things that Blockhead DOESN'T mention is that with most body replacers you might be using, the only texture you want to override is the 'foot' texture.

Would i need to open up CK for that? or its purely ini and scripting work?

Thanks

Thanks

Neither.

It's just name the meshes for the race correctly and place them in the right directories (which you might need to create with Explorer).

Probably the simplest modding you can do.

Be aware that if you are using another Blockhead mod that uses scripting, this body mesh change will be over-ridden by any scripted body change. It won't cause a problem but it can/will over-ride the race specific meshes defined this way.

Thanks

Neither.

It's just name the meshes for the race correctly and place them in the right directories (which you might need to create with Explorer).

Probably the simplest modding you can do.

Be aware that if you are using another Blockhead mod that uses scripting, this body mesh change will be over-ridden by any scripted body change. It won't cause a problem but it can/will over-ride the race specific meshes defined this way.

Which directory? Data/Characters/Meshes/MyRace/(the 4 nifs)?

Blockhead looks in 'its own' directories.

Data\meshes\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\ (or \M\ for males)

Name the 4 mesh parts as per the documentation. e.g. MyRace_upperbody.nif

You can replace any or all of foot/lower body/upper body/hands

You can replace e.g. just the upper body if you need, no need to replace all 4 parts.

Blockhead looks in 'its own' directories.

Data\meshes\Characters\BodyAssetOverrides\PerRace\F\ (or \M\ for males)

Name the 4 mesh parts as per the documentation. e.g. MyRace_upperbody.nif

You can replace any or all of foot/lower body/upper body/hands

You can replace e.g. just the upper body if you need, no need to replace all 4 parts.

Thanks very much for the info, i'll try it now

Archived