[ASK] DirectX 12 vga card? Kepler? Maxwell?

GECK.O

I'm not a 100% positive on this, but my semi-knowledgeable user assumption/thought so far , which I've formed purely through osmosis... has been that it's basically DX11 = "Hey video card, good buddy! Render this frame would you please! Thanks!" vs DX12 = "HEY VIDEO CARD, I NEED THIS FRAME RENDERED, KAPIECE?" Which is to say the new DX basically provides a more direct interface to the video card, rather than acting as the middleman that it has in the past. 

In a more fundamental, helpful, sense, Kepler is old... Maxwell is at the tail-end of it's support life now that 980 TI is out with the cheap version of GM200, but the successor to Maxwell, Pascal, is still a year off or so according to nvidia. If you're still on Kepler, this more than ever is the time to start considering upgrades if you're an enthusiast.

By the time a significant amount of DX12 games come out you will be able to find a better DX12 card than you can right now. Intel processors are in the tick phase right now and the tock phase is next year according to some leaked documents recently posted today!

So next year then for the card and if possible a better cpu mobo etc.

I read both Kepler and Maxwell will support DirectX 12. But only Maxwell will fully support dx12.

What is the different between fully support and not?

Some of the basic function from what I hear will work with the older card however some of the features might not be fully implemented in the older card. Will it break the game.. shouldn't.. will you get the best bang for the buck.. probably not.

AS one of the above poster stated I would wait a bit if you can to get a card for both more comparable versions and lower prices (or better more powerful cards) The GTX980ti should be drop shipped soon to the store near you :D and I hear from some gaming friends (real life .. yes I have a real life.. :dodgy: lol) is it is a very choice card. One person is already set up to get two.. Nice. Most others are waiting for the price drop from the regular 980s either from the Ti release or more likely when AMD sends out their answer to nVidia in the coming months. They usually greatly challenge nVidia and their prices.. Yea..

One feature I am particularlly waiting for real life testing is the (forget the name of the function) capability of using the memory from both cards when run in SLI.. Imagine cheap cards in SLI and getting an automatic boost. :D. I believe that feature would only work with the newer architecture. Or getting 980 or even 980TI (6gig vram) and ending up with 8gig/12gig vram.. Epic.. :D

I suppose it would be pointless to buy a DirectX 12 graphics card if you're not going to upgrade to Windows 10, as DirectX 12 is Windows 10 exclusive.

Of course that I'm going to install Windows 10. As it free too.

My target is a laptop with geforce GT940M. Maxwell architecture and some websites said, it's a DirectX 12 card.

But I'm low on budget. May be a gt840m or even gt850m. But it's a Kepler architecture.

Yeah, Win 10 is offered as a free upgrade, but there might be a reason for that, most likely an unpleasant one. Even so, it wouldn't be too bad on a "gaming only" PC. I'd avoid it for business and daily use.

Archived