Do you still play Oblivion?

Skyrim's environments basically are the frozen mountains and the temperate plains in the middle. That's about it. There's no any other variation in environment. Remember, Cyrodiil is smack dab in the middle of Tamriel, so when you go to the north, you shift from the perfect silly forested areas to snow-covered peaks. When you go to the East, it shifts to swampy lands. When you go south, it generally shifts to a more tropical vibe. When you go west, it changes to fertile, rolling fields full of tall grass. There's a variety in Oblivion that I definitely miss in Skyrim. Even Morrowind had a bigger variety. Skyrim is just boring. Even the lore is boring. Plus like I mentioned like twice already, Skyrim's gray and brown puts me off.

The combat is Skyrim is just deadlier, but that's about it. You devolve into full-attacking spamming eventually, when you invest enough perks in 1h/2h to be able to spend less Stamina per Power Attack. Since they both deal more damage and completely obliterate defenses, NOT using PAs after a certain point is eventually a stupid idea. Either that, or you'll spam Shouts which IMO are useless unless you get all three words of a shout. Unrelenting Force is about the only shout that stays consistently useful throughout the game, but that's because it's essentially a Power Attack that doesn't damage. Fire Breath and Frost Breath are horribly overshadowed by Destruction Magicka, when you take into account that, while Magic depends on Magicka, there's Perks and even enchantments that allow you to spend LESS Magicka per spell AND allow you to restore it quicker, PLUS when you cast a spell with both hands, you just flat-out destroy anything. The combat IS more fun, especially because of how dynamic and deep dual-wielding is, but Oblivion's combat IMO is pretty damn challenging. They REALLY lay the smackdown on you and quick. You have to be quick, and usually you have to rely on reflexes in order to evade attacks. How often was I running around the map, Casting Healing while the enemy chased after me in Oblivion? Make it worse with the Potion use cap, and IMO Oblivion's combat, while a tad boring, is more challenging. This isn't even mentioning the fact of how stupidly easy it is to get Healing Potions in Skyrim, and how many Alchemy ingredients have the Restore Health attribute to them. My main character, a Bosmer Sneaky Alchemist has SO many potions, they literally account for over 300 of his 400 something carrying weight capacity. Armor doesn't weigh nothing for me if I wear it, and I'm still forced to use Lydia as a mule, because all the damn potions take up so much space.

tl;dr Wall of text. Sorry for that :/

Oh man I would love to play more of it, but my piece-o-shit alienware computer can't handle the poorly optimized game (even if Oblivion is poorly optimized, don't get alienware. Don't make the same mistake I did!) I can run New Vegas and even Skyrim on medium settings with around 30 frames or more but Oblivion just goes down the dumps. I'm still buying parts for my dream computer so until then I can't play. Even with skyrim out, Oblivion (especially with mods) is an astounding game and even if great mods are being released for skyrim, I'll still definitely play in Oblivion. (I even plan to mod Oblivion first).

So...I was right not to get skyrim then...not that I won't eventually,but i will wait till there are a good amount of mods...maybe even till they make a lovers type mod for it...I mean what's the point of saving generic world number XXX if you can't get some lovin? ;)

You find Skyrims environment more boring than Oblivions? Wow that is hard to believe...Oblivion is pretty much the same thing the whole game' date=' including dungeons. It's variety of environments is pathetic compared to Skyrim. Now granted Skyrim is a lot darker and a little more bland, but I like that. Also Skyrims environment may not be as big as it seems but it is bigger than Oblivions, and it actually has different scenery, instead of the same damn thing in every area.

[/quote']

One link: http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=19370

Even with FCOM Convergence' date=' which adds thousands of items and hundreds of enemies it still doesn't fix the core problem of Oblivion which is a bad combat system that is very bland. Deadly Reflex fixes this a bit but it's still flawed and why I can't go back. Now sure Skyrims combat isn't much different but there's just something about it that I like. I think it's because the animations are pretty damn good for being made by Bethesda and they just feel more fluid than they did in Oblivion.

[/quote']

Oh shit! there's a 2nd one!: http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=40310

KABAM!

You find Skyrims environment more boring than Oblivions? Wow that is hard to believe...Oblivion is pretty much the same thing the whole game' date=' including dungeons. It's variety of environments is pathetic compared to Skyrim. Now granted Skyrim is a lot darker and a little more bland, but I like that. Also Skyrims environment may not be as big as it seems but it is bigger than Oblivions, and it actually has different scenery, instead of the same damn thing in every area.

[/quote']

One link: http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=19370

Don't forget Better Dungeons. Can't wait for the Ayleid Ruins version :)

This fellow' date=' David Brasher, built tons of unique and very tough dungeons (etc). His (plus other designers) huge vampire quest extension of Order of the Virtuous Blood has to be one of the best mods out there. Especially if you like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=30568

This fellow' date=' David Brasher, built tons of unique and very tough dungeons (etc). His (plus other designers) huge vampire quest extension of Order of the Virtuous Blood has to be one of the best mods out there. Especially if you like Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Wow, you're right. His mod collection is awesome. Thanks for the link! :)

I still play Oblivion because of two things.

1. I still find it fun to mod

2. the faction quests are much better then in Skyrim (mages guild, thieves guild, dark brotherhood) and not to mention the Si questline.

yes skyrim looks way better but after playing it for a while I got really bored with it and have problem motivating myself to even mod the game now these days.

Wow, you're right. His mod collection is awesome. Thanks for the link! :)

I highly recommend (besides OOTVB) his extended Mage, Fighter and Knights of the Nine quests. There's...ohhhh....several hundred hours of game play even if you fast travel. Better plots than yer vanilla main quest...

His Healer quests adds a new elemenet, altogether. Plus, if you have Elsweyr/Valenwood installed, he has adventures for that, too. Note he made Skyrim before it came out.

:D

Ah yes, Mr David Brasher. He's the fellow that made the obsidian armor that my character uses. He's definitely good at making unique dungeons, which, as I have noted before, I am a massive sucker for.

My only gripe with some of his maze mods is that they weren't quite as trap or critter-filled as I thought they would be, and the reward for mehrunes' maze was, as far as I know, nonexistant. Still, he's definitely one of the best modders in there right now.

I just reinstalled Morrowind...

Morrowind is always a classic too. For me personally, a game's playability is always #1 most important, and I honestly don't understand why someone would ever abandon a fun game just because of out-dated graphics. Look at Diablo 2, for example: Old graphics, but hella addictive gameplay. Sometimes it just feels like some people stop playing older games just because its the "popular" thing to do, which frustrates me so much lol.

I don't know about anyone else here, I read through the posts and see most people tend to prefer Skyrim, but I can not stand the game. It's just. so. boring. I might be acting like a child, but I stopped playing 10 minutes in to get SkyUI cause the vanilla's is just awful.

Then there's the combat. Back in Oblivion I could weave in and out of combat and do just fine. In Skyrim, I have no idea what happened but in 3rd person (which I play in exclusively, if I make a character, I want to seem them...) when you press a key or thumb stick (happens on the xbox too) the game doesn't do crap for a full second. Yeah ok, helpful. So you're stuck tanking every single hit making the idea that "you must be agile to use dual swords since you can't block" moot since you just take all that damage anyways.

Furthermore, every combat animation in this game is hideous. I refuse to believe that a master swordsman flings their sword around like a caveman exactly like how some untrained wizard does. At least Oblivion's power attacks changed as the game went on.

tl;dr: Skyrim is ok I guess, but every problem I've ever had with Oblivion (besides it's instability, the little baby) has been fixed by mods. The dull landscapes are made beautiful by unique landscapes, the cities more alive by better cities, all natural + graphics extender make the world just as beautiful as Skyrim imo... I played through Skyrim long enough to beat the main quest (which was as dull as Oblivion's). Once I've had my fill of Oblivion I'll go back and replay Morrowind.

I don't know about anyone else here' date=' I read through the posts and see most people tend to prefer Skyrim, but I can not stand the game. It's just. so. boring. I might be acting like a child, but I stopped playing 10 minutes in to get SkyUI cause the vanilla's is just awful.

Then there's the combat. Back in Oblivion I could weave in and out of combat and do just fine. In Skyrim, I have no idea what happened but in 3rd person (which I play in exclusively, if I make a character, I want to seem them...) when you press a key or thumb stick (happens on the xbox too) the game doesn't do crap for a full second. Yeah ok, helpful. So you're stuck tanking every single hit making the idea that "you must be agile to use dual swords since you can't block" moot since you just take all that damage anyways.

Furthermore, every combat animation in this game is hideous. I refuse to believe that a master swordsman flings their sword around like a caveman exactly like how some untrained wizard does. At least Oblivion's power attacks changed as the game went on.

tl;dr: Skyrim is ok I guess, but every problem I've ever had with Oblivion (besides it's instability, the little baby) has been fixed by mods. The dull landscapes are made beautiful by unique landscapes, the cities more alive by better cities, all natural + graphics extender make the world just as beautiful as Skyrim imo... I played through Skyrim long enough to beat the main quest (which was as dull as Oblivion's). Once I've had my fill of Oblivion I'll go back and replay Morrowind.

[/quote']

Kudos for speaking your honest opinion bro, I agree with most of this here. I think Skyrim's UI is ridiculously simplified compared to the last previous two games, and the response delay on some keys (or gamepad buttons) is pretty irritating sometimes. For Skyrim's gameworld, I can understand that Bethesda was trying to create a fitting "snowy & wintering" landscape for the Nord's home province, but after playing & wandering awhile I just got to thinking: "So uh....where's the grassy valleys and green pastures around here?" So yeah, the constant gray & white-themed environment does get fairly dull. And yeah, the combat animations feel like the game would be a degenerate behind Oblivion if it just weren't for the newly-polished visuals, lol.

Ah yes' date=' Mr David Brasher. He's the fellow that made the obsidian armor that my character uses. He's definitely good at making unique dungeons, which, as I have noted before, I am a massive sucker for.

My only gripe with some of his maze mods is that they weren't quite as trap or critter-filled as I thought they would be, and the reward for mehrunes' maze was, as far as I know, nonexistant. Still, he's definitely one of the best modders in there right now.

[/quote']

I think his mazes are just as much mods for him as they are us. Experimental. His 'regular' dungeons are great, though. Especially the newer ones.

Then there's these...

http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=21176

http://tes.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12997

Full voice acting, etc.

Skyrim's environments basically are the frozen mountains and the temperate plains in the middle. That's about it. There's no any other variation in environment. Remember' date=' Cyrodiil is smack dab in the middle of Tamriel, so when you go to the north, you shift from the perfect silly forested areas to snow-covered peaks. When you go to the East, it shifts to swampy lands. When you go south, it generally shifts to a more tropical vibe. When you go west, it changes to fertile, rolling fields full of tall grass. There's a variety in Oblivion that I definitely miss in Skyrim. Even Morrowind had a bigger variety. Skyrim is just boring. Even the lore is boring. Plus like I mentioned like twice already, Skyrim's gray and brown puts me off.

[/quote']

Agreed. More than anything else, this is what annoys me about Skyrim. Environmentally, it just feels so boringly homogenous. In contrast, I honestly don't see how anyone can make the same complaint about Oblivion. There's a hell of a lot more variety in Cyrodiil, even if it does sometimes feel a bit artificial. And as for colors, well, whoever decided "realistic" meant "everything needs to dirty and brown and grey" should be shot. Repeatedly.

What has Skyrim to do with the OP's question?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Why do people always go off track' date=' hm?

[/quote']

He said that after playing Skyrim he doesn't want to go back to Oblivion anymore. I don't know about you but for me this sounds like Skyrim plays a role in the OP.

]Skyrim's pretty good. It's fresh. It'll start getting a whole lot better once modders get good stable ground and find out what does what in the CK.

The one thing i absolutely hate about Skyrim though, is the combat animations. Holy shit they are way over exaggerated. I seriously hope once we get animations working well someone will make a good facelift to the default combat animations, without them being over the top anime and more historically accurate.

[video=youtube]

Video related. This is how fighting with two-handed/longswords actually looks.

Also for the viking setting, the lack of nasal helms, scale maille and chain maille is horrendous.

Oh yeah, no spears or mounted combat.