New Hard Drives!! Which one to get?!

Lovely Rose

Opinions are all over the board here.  I can tell you all from personal experience (including an IT degree) and a best friend that also does PC repair for a living, it's kind of a crap shoot with any drive anymore.

Seagate:  A few decades back, they were the gold standard...  Figuratively bulletproof.  I'm wary of them anymore, reasons cited above being part of it.  Their external drives are total garbage IMO.  I've had two go bad within a year and they were at home, on the desk only drives.

Western Digital:  They've gone downhill since Seagate bought them out.   Their entry level drives are about the worst on the market.  My friend is CONSTANTLY replacing those in his business.  Even the high end ones, you never know.  I have a 2 GB "Black Label" (5 year warranty) that went bad at the two year mark sitting on my desk right now.   Won't read, lost all my data.  >_<

Maxtor is still supposed to be pretty good anymore, but not much experience with them the last few years.

It's a shame how the whole industry has gone into the crapper IMO.  I have 10+ year old 250 gig and smaller drives i used the hell out of that still work.  Probably outlast my current drives too. :(

Best advice, don't get entry level ANYTHING, AND keep Acronis drive monitor running on your system to increase your chances of getting a warning before your drive blows up (it's free and reliable).

Mine are Seagate, one 500gb and another 1000gb. Both of them are still in prime condition even though I've had them for many years. Survived viruses, power outings, the 500 one even went through an overload which fried my old graphics card.

The way I see it is that it doesn't much matter what brand you buy, just pick a size that suits you and bring it home.

Archived