The BOSS Userlist

The spoiler code as well as a recommend load order (for hand organizing) for lovers plugins can be found here: http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=6133

Boss is not a one stop solve all problems program. It is just used to bulk sort common plugins. Even the userlist addons are not intended to cover everything. There literally are ten's of thousands of plugins out there so there is no way one utility can auto-sort everything.

You need to start small and grow your load order a little at a time making sure to read its description/requirements/readme.txt so that you understand "what" it does as that will help clue you in on where it should go.

You are welcome to post your load order here and we will take a quick look to see if there are any glaring things that jump out. How to post your load order is explained in the link I gave you above.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there any reason to use this list rather than the current BOSS master list to sort load order? From the reading I've done on this site it seems Lovers mods were not at one time on the BOSS master list. They are now (just noticed this morning) so I'm wondering if this list is obsolete or not.

The load order I'm getting with the default BOSS master list is quite similar to the various posted load orders I've found here. Out of the 20 or so Lovers mods I currently have, only LoversUnicorn and LoversGalgatBeastRape weren't recognized. (And I did have to tweak the post-Bashed Patch order via my own user rules, but that was easy.) I'm using Wrye Bash 300 and BOSS 2.1.0.

edit: nevermind, found the discussion in this post: http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=11728

edit2: For what it's worth: for my roughly 25 Lovers esps, the load order is virtually identical between the BOSS master list and using this customized user list. The major exception is LoversMB2.esp which is either higher or lower in the Lovers section (both of which contradict the Technical Support section sticky).

Is there any reason to use this list rather than the current BOSS master list to sort load order? From the reading I've done on this site it seems Lovers mods were not at one time on the BOSS master list. They are now (just noticed this morning) so I'm wondering if this list is obsolete or not.

The load order I'm getting with the default BOSS master list is quite similar to the various posted load orders I've found here. Out of the 20 or so Lovers mods I currently have' date=' only LoversUnicorn and LoversGalgatBeastRape weren't recognized. (And I did have to tweak the post-Bashed Patch order via my own user rules, but that was easy.) I'm using Wrye Bash 300 and BOSS 2.1.0.

edit: nevermind, found the discussion in this post: http://www.loverslab.com/showthread.php?tid=11728

edit2: For what it's worth: for my roughly 25 Lovers esps, the load order is virtually identical between the BOSS master list and using this customized user list. The major exception is LoversMB2.esp which is either higher or lower in the Lovers section (both of which contradict the Technical Support section sticky).

[/quote']

About half of the troubleshooting I have to do for people's load orders, comes from them relying on the BOSS masterlist. It frequently changes, and often for the worst. An example of a recent F'up was that it was putting bravil underground above its master file (slave trader). That of course lead to an immediate CTD. I don't know who feeds info to the BOSS folks but they should be shot, then stabbed, and finally run over with a truck.

You can "get away with" slight variations in your load order. There is no such thing as a "perfect load order" so don't worry too much about it if your game is working. The recommended load order that is posted, does work and has been confirmed by literally hundreds upon hundreds of people. Whether you use it, or go with something else is purely up to you.

Honestly BOSS should seldom be used. A perfect time to use it is upon your initial install of the bulk of your mods and prior to installing any lovers plugins. If you are using BOSS all the time then you are risking trashing your game for no real gain. A bit of common sense will tell you where you should be placing a new mod.

Thanks for the insight. I only reinstalled Oblivion and discovered the huge availability of mods about 3 weeks ago. The "common sense" about where to place mods is slowly developing for me. It's not easy at all for new people to figure out where things should go.

That is quite true for those new to mods. You will get a sense of where things should go however the more you mess around with them. :)

Can you update this so that it puts BravilUnderground under LoversSlaveTrader?

Really' date=' it's my only esp I have to manually change after I run boss.

[/quote']

This userlist "should" already be putting bravil underground in the right spot. Is it not?

If you are talking about the BOSS masterlist, then "NO" I can't fix it.

Well, it should not be but if that is the only thing it is screwing up, then you are still ahead of where the BOSS masterlist would have you.

While I probably "could" fix this, I probably won't. I personally don't use BOSS, thus I have never bothered to figure out how the userlist commands work. Between helping folks on the forums, working on my BU mods, testing lovers plugins, and actually playing games, I don't have any spare free time left.

Sorry. :(

Maybe Ferdain or one of the other BOSS users will jump in and tackle this.

• 1 month later...

Is there some tutorial for making custom exceptions to the BOSS's userlist masterlist e.g. adding esp's BOSS does not sort.

Start/Boss/Docs/Main Read Me. I find it easier to use the graphical interface to override Lovers mods positions from the masterlist and to order mods BOSS does not recognize. There are a few other read me's in the Docs folder that explain syntax and whatnot if you want to edit a userlist manually.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm sorry, but this dosn't make sense.

I overwrite the userlist in my BOSS folder, and it dosn't let me use the Userlist manger, and yet you expect me to to perform some other function.

I open up the userlist manager without overwritng the given userlist and it works, yet I can't make out what I'm supposed to do because the BOSS manual on the userlist manger is useless as it does not present the interface accordingly.

Someone, anyone, make a pictorial guide on how to do this or a video, because this is clearly not working for me.

• 8 years later...