hi there can anyone help me

TOTW requires the Steam versions of FO3.  I found out the hard way my FO3 GOTY disk edition wasn't compatible.  TOTW is awesome.  It has its share of glitches and some mods will not work with it but there is plenty of support on that forum.  Well worth the effort and it will make NewVegas run smoother.

Weird, I've spent loads of time on their chat. Talking to Chuck, TJ, TV, Rob etc.

Never seen them tell anyone that they couldn't use the GOTY version. I've seen them tell people that a pirated version flat out won't work, or the no gore version or a foreign language won't work, never the goty though.

And as I said, mine works perfectly well.

From the requirements page of TTW...

Requirements 
  • Legal, English versions of all Fallout 3 patched to 1.7 with all DLC content (or Fallout 3 Game Of The Year Edition) installed on your computer. Pirated games WILL NOT WORK with TTW. Yes, really.

Archived