Major Hardware Upgrade - New Vegas Sound Issue

Has anyone ever had this issue, where they have a major hardware upgrade of their existing PC (ie, motherboard, ram, processor, video card, etc) and then play New Vegas, only to see that certain sound effects don't play, as in, I can hear music, shooting, etc - but when people speak, nothing comes out, only a muted sort of sound.

I remember having this problem a while ago, and that it was relatively easy to fix, but I can't remember how. If anyone knows how to, I would be much obliged.

Cheers!

Well' date=' I don't know how it possible could as it should not effect them one way or the other.

Please don't lynch me if I am somehow wrong however...........:(

[/quote']

No no no, you're not getting out that easily. I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking to destroy my computer, I can tell you I don't have one. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you promise to reimburse me if my PC fails, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you. :P

Actually, I found the problem myself, very much along the lines of 'is it plugged in' - installing a new motherboard automatically re-sets the default stereo or 5.1 surround to 7.1 surround, so some audio gets sent to non-existent channels, and obviously nothing comes out, so I had to put them back to the default 5.1 for me. Then, I had the speakers plugged in to the wrong jack at the back of my sound card lol...

If you upgraded your motherboard than things like drivers for that new board will need to be reinstalled. Typically it's a good idea to install your OS again as well' date=' but I don't know if that's completely necessary anymore.

[/quote']

With win7 that is not at all required. Video cards, sound cards and the like while not "hot swappable" are mainly just a matter of clearing out old drivers, installing new and then as ChancellorKremlin discovered redoing your settings.

To be honest the need for reinstalling the OS disappear with XP, or at least it did for me anyway.