View File

YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE MY WORK IN PAID MODS.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEFORE YOU READ ANY FURTHER - YOU PROBABLY WON'T USE THIS.

You have been warned.

WHAT IS IT

This little program is a tool I wrote for my personal use.

I just hated to have to browse for that FNIS Generator in Data files.

(IN)COMPATIBILITIES

It should work with any version of FNIS. Also those yet to come. If it doesn't, I will update it.

It will NOT work with Nexus Mod Manager. It's only for people who install manually. I dislike NMM, deal with it.

WHAT IT DOES

It automates the process of installing FNIS. At least a little.

First it handles copying FNIS files to where they should be.

Then it starts GenerateFNISForUsers.exe for you, so you don't need to look for the file yourself.

HOW TO USE IT

1. Download FNIS and extract it from archive

2. Open what was extracted and locate the Data folder in it

3. Place FNIS_Setup.exe next to the Data folder

4. Again, make sure that Data folder and FNIS_Setup.exe are in the same directory

5. Execute FNIS_Setup.exe (which will copy FNIS files and launch FNIS Generator)

6. Now make sure all FNIS-dependent mods are installed and use FNIS Generator

ADDITIONAL NOTES

The program runs many many checks before it does anything. It's because I want it to be as idiot-proof as possible.

If it encounters any problems, it will do nothing but giving you an error message.

If you get an error, it's totally your fault. Read the error message to figure out, what exactly is wrong.

If there is a problem with finding your game in registry, start Skyrim Launcher.exe, exit it, and try my program again.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    02/17/2015
  • Category
  • Requires
    FNIS unpacked for manual installation
  • Special Edition Compatible

View File

It will NOT work with Nexus Mod Manager. It's only for people who install manually. I dislike NMM, deal with it.

Who cares, why would we have to deal with your likes and dislikes, only you need to deal with those.

As for the mod it seems useful, though apart from not running it inside a manager (is that even a thing with NMM).

If it's inside the Skyrim Data Folder, I don't see why, how the Mods are managed has any effect on the workings of this program?

Only Mod Organizer users (I'm one of these) can't use this, because MO uses Isolated Mods and only uses the Skyrim Data folder for Vanilla Files.

Mod Organizer must run FNIS to enable it to see the Virtual Data Folder, A shortcut does that job from MO's Toolbar.

They are in the Data Folder already, they need to be there (Technically the Generate FNIS for Users/Modders.Exe's don't, but they works fine anywhere), I see no "need" to move them.

Then it starts GenerateFNISForUsers.exe for you, so you don't need to look for the file yourself.

Wouldn't a Desktop Shortcut do that job, just as well.

I'm not trolling you and I see the advantage of your Mod, just not sure the Manager exclusion is correct, I use MO and it does things differently, I've never used FNIS any other way.

What I know of Data Folder mod management is theoretical not practical, that suggests this would work with or without a Manager, maybe I'm missing something, maybe you are.

If it will work with All but MO, it makes it more useful, does it not?

They are in the Data Folder already, they need to be there (Technically the Generate FNIS for Users/Modders.Exe's don't, but they works fine anywhere), I see no "need" to move them.

I think you completely misunderstood what I meant. You unpack your mod ANYWHERE. You put my program in this "anywhere" folder. You run it, it copies FNIS files to Skyrim\Data where they should be.

Wouldn't a Desktop Shortcut do that job, just as well.

If you had the shortcut - yes. But after downloading FNIS you don't. You need to create that shortcut yourself or run FNIS once and let it create the shortcut. My program does the job of that magical first run.

I'm not trolling you and I see the advantage of your Mod, just not sure the Manager exclusion is correct, I use MO and it does things differently, I've never used FNIS any other way.

Exclusion of mod managers is only logical. Mod managers automate the process of installing mods. My little program does the same thing. If you use mod manager, let it handle FNIS. If you don't - my program can step in and do things for you.