Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

qwasqwas

• 1 month later...

Ehh, I don't think the game is that great. I gave up on it. Several reasons:

1.) The villain is the most cookie-cutter villain imaginable.

2.) The story/quests are boring. Even the beginning feels like it was ripped straight out of Planescape: Torment -- a much more superior game. It doesn't help the protagonist is not voice acted. Game protagonists without voices are very common, but it's just one more example that Kingdoms of Amalur didn't strive for innovation.

3.) The graphics bear a striking resemblance to World of Warcraft, which is unacceptable considering this is a 2011 single-player game. The quick load times attest to how poor the graphics are.

4.) There is no morality system. Granted, you can make some evil choices, but they bear no consequence on the game's one and only ending or how the world perceives you. Oblivion, Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect, Fable I, II, & III, and Star Wars: TOR & KOTOR all did this. Considering Ken Rolston's background came from Oblivion, this seems like an odd omission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Rolston

5.) The game is too easy (even on max hard difficulty). Unfortunately, there is no unlockable higher difficulties. Once you beat the game, there is little incentive to replay.

6.) The classes are imbalanced. Mages are so overpowered at end-game with their nuke spells that it's laughable.

Only thing I enjoyed was the combat system (when it's challenging!). It's innovative and responds superbly. Enemies all possess unique A.I. behaviors and require unique strategies to overcoming each.

ReMeDy,

I agree on most points. However, being an old school gamer (still play the original diablo and command and conquer.....don't ask me why I can't really explain it) I am still having fun playing through this. I think I am about half way through it but not really sure. I have 30 some hours clocked in but less than half the map explored.

One thing is for sure likely that once I do finish it I won't be playing it again. It is kinda one of those type of play and forget games. I don't think I would recommend this game to anyone who wasn't a grind freak like me.

EDIT: Well I finally finished the game 50 hours and I only completed about 80-90% of the side quests (I also did not fully explore every region/cave). I did like the use of the fate kill mechanism. I didn't overuse it, so the few times that I did use it there seemed to be a unique kill scene (all really cool!!!).

Now that you mention that one of the dudes from oblivion had a hand in making this.....I can see it. If you pursue the faction quests then by the end you eventually become head of each faction......very oblivion like copy on that one. I can also see some of the other concepts they used.

As I said before if you are a grind freak it is up your alley (loot is everywhere). If you need fancy graphics or a deep story then not so much. This is pretty much a diablo clone, but it just has a different FOV :)

Archived