CTD when loading a save game (PLEASE HELP!)

Hi people i'm very desperate and frustate right now because my game keep CTD when loading a save game and i have spend 24+ hours to slove it and no luck at all.

It doesn't crash all the time ,just when i try to load the save game first time ,it will have like 85% chance to CTD without any error message ,but if the game successful load it usually works fine from there then.

here are my load order

Update esm
Dawnguard esm
HearthFires esm
Dragonborn esm
SexLab esm
AP Skyrim esm
ApachiiHair esm
ZaZAnimationPack esm
SummonSuccubus esp
PrivateNeedsNew esp
Remodeled Armor esp
SOS Equipable Schlong esp
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic esp
SuccubusCBBE3GiftByNausicaa esp
SOS Schlong Controller esp
MagicNipple esp
AzarHairPonyTail 03 - Havok esp
HDT Female Hairstyles esp
Magicka Sabers esp
RaceMenu esp
Angelic_Demonic esp
SOSRaceMenu esp
RaceMenuPlugin esp
Schlongs of Skyrim - Light esp
SexLabDefeat esp
SexLabMatchMaker esp
SkyUI esp

i also install

SKSE
Realistic Force-601-1-9
HDT Physics Extensions
BodySlide 2 and Outfit Studio
Calientes Beautiful Bodies Edition
XP32 Maximum Skeleton Extended by Groovtama

SOS

and eveything basic need to getting Sexlab work

but i guess you figure out already

i have try everything i can to slove it include:

Use BOSS and LOOT sort load order

Create Merge Patch with wrye bash

Install Safey load and SSME

Lower game graphic resolution

...etc

I also try start a new game and console command "coc qasmoke" then load my save...still same problem happen.

also even if i deactive all mods the problem remian either.

very thanksful If anyone can help me with this problem ,i spend so much time and hope it will be slove somehow.

and sorry for my poor grammar.

Its a common problem with a lot of heavy scripted mods that you first have to load a small cell bevore loading the actual savegame and its also normal that once loaded up further game loadings are working its allways the first savegame you load after starting skyrim. There is no fix for this issue you could reduce the amount of heavy mods, but well I rather just deal with loading up a small cell bevore the actual savegame then reduceing my mods

Edit: just to make it clear you either have the choice to load a small cell start a new game or whatever is "spliting" the load bevore loading the savegame

(just for info deativating mods dosen't change the fact the scripts are still running script stats are saved in your savegame and therefore deativating wont help)

Its a common problem with a lot of heavy scripted mods that you first have to load a small cell bevore loading the actual savegame and its also normal that once loaded up further game loadings are working its allways the first savegame you load after starting skyrim. There is no fix for this issue you could reduce the amount of heavy mods, but well I rather just deal with loading up a small cell bevore the actual savegame then reduceing my mods

Edit: just to make it clear you either have the choice to load a small cell start a new game or whatever is "spliting" the load bevore loading the savegame

(just for info deativating mods dosen't change the fact the scripts are still running script stats are saved in your savegame and therefore deativating wont help)

First thanks for the reply! But i still have some questiom.

as i said above i did try to load a small cell then load my save by using console command "coc qasmoke"  to bring me in a test cell ,then i try to load my game but it's still crash a lots...is there a better way to do it?

Also can you tell me what heavy scripted mods i have?

Thanks!

I'm no modder so I don't really know which mods have a lot of scripts running and are called "script heavy" you also don't have a lot of mods, but well you obviously have this issue so I guess it can happen to everyone

(for my buddy it started when he got to ~100 mods as long as the game is new it works fine but from a rnd point it starts ctd'ing I guess the savegame just gets to big after a certain time but I don't know much about how the skyrim engine works so I can only guess)

. It should work fine if you either start a new game and load your savegame after that or load a small cell.

I personally use alternate start and load load the savegame right after I created my character after that all mcm menu's and mods start activating and working so I consider that as a good place to load my game and after I load my game in the "prison cell" I load my actual savegame this way is used by a bunch of people I know from here so I guess its the best way and once you did it a few times you get used to it it really don't bother me anymore its allready routine for me.

So in short I recommand you to start a new game and right after character creation save your game and use this before loading your actual savegame don't know if this works without alternate start, but well try it or just use alternate start its anyway a ton better then the normal skyrim start.

Edit: you also don't have to reduce the graphic it has nothing to do with this.

also to prevent further problems you should to this it fixes a lot of unnecessary ctd's in the game or ILS while fast traveling

1. Download and install SKSE 1.7.1
2. Go to Steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim/Data and see if you have a SKSE folder with an SKSE.ini file inside. If you do, add these values to SKSE.ini:

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1
[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048
[Memory]
defaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
scrapHeapSizeMB=256

If you don't have a SKSE.ini just open the editor and paste the lines in and save it as SKSE.ini

I've this very same problem the way I do for safe loading is like ChasmX said, I load a save file in breezehome your house in whiterun, it loads everytime for me, After that first load every one afterwards should be safe, don't have any mods that alter the house btw, you should look for a small interior place and see which one works for you, and yes I run some script heavy mods.

again thanks for the reply ,i did try to use all those methods (include alt start) but it still crash a lots ,yes the first load i try in small cell seems always successful ,but when i try to load my normal save it still crash a lots like 50% chance.

Let me review this all over again

first load a modless save in a small cell ,wait for a moment to let script finish ,then load your savegame ,corret?

Sorry if i'm misunderstanding ,becasue i think you guys means using this method will always work and never crash ,or is it just reduce the chance to CTD?

If it just redecud chance to CTD i guess i just need people tell me "Your game might still crash some time,you just have to deal with it like we do." :s

btw is loading muti-save help? i mean like i use "coc qasmoke" teleport to a test cell then load a save in breezhome ,then load my save game (sounds really unnecessary i know but i just wonder)

first load a modless save in a small cell ,wait for a moment to let script finish ,then load your savegame ,corret?

you got this right load a cell where no or at least less scripts are running then load your actual savegame for this issue it works 100% of time never heard of someone before this method dosent work

teleporting yourself with the coc command wont help

Did you do what I also told you? if not here again Shensons memory patch

1. Download and install SKSE 1.7.1

2. Go to Steam/steamapps/common/Skyrim/Data and see if you have a SKSE folder with an SKSE.ini file inside. If you do, add these values to SKSE.ini:

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=2048

[Memory]

defaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

scrapHeapSizeMB=256

If you don't have a SKSE.ini just open the editor and paste the lines in and save it as SKSE.ini

ENB boost is basically all benefits from enb without graphical changes skyrim is a 32bit application and can only work with 3.1gb ram while enb boost is a 64bit application and can handle more so enb boost greatly helps with all memory releated problem and overall improves the performance of skyrim

Safety load helps skyrim with the loading of big savegames the skyrim engine seem to have problems with big savegames (lot of playtime or/and lot of mods)

SSME don't know much about that seems to increase the memory that skyrim uses on startup/loading savegames so pretty much the same thing as the SKSE.ini does you allready made

Since you use a 32bit windows enb boost wont help of course because your whole system can only use 3.1gb ram regardless how much you have so even if you have 8gb ram because your windows is 32bit and only works with 3.1gb ram that the 32bit limit so I highly recommand that you monitor your ram usage and see if you hit the limit of 3.1gb ram

If you hit this limit I obviously highly recommand the upgrade to a 64bit windows, but dunno if your money allows that I heard there are tools to make 32bit windows able to work with longer addresses so it can handle more then 3.1gb ram, but I havent used one so I can't say much about that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have this problem like you. I can't load save. I found only two place when my save load without problem and for me is Fox home from mod and when I have Levelers tower from Nexus. I alwayes have one save in this location. First I load this save, after I can load every another save. It's work for me.

I have this problem like you. I can't load save. I found only two place when my save load without problem and for me is Fox home from mod and when I have Levelers tower from Nexus. I alwayes have one save in this location. First I load this save, after I can load every another save. It's work for me.

Ya i know this method and that why i'm so frustraing becasue it works for everyone but me ,i have a save in a test cell and a save in breezehome (this save i use save cleaner kill all script) ,i succuessfuly load both file but when i try to load my normal save file again it still crash a lots ,sometime it can still be load but just not always ,and if the save location have lots of dead body around me it will be impossible to load no matter which method i use (i try loading small cell or start a new game then load this save about 30 times ,0 scuuess)

Ya i know this method and that why i'm so frustraing becasue it works for everyone but me ,i have a save in a test cell and a save in breezehome (this save i use save cleaner kill all script) ,i succuessfuly load both file but when i try to load my normal save file again it still crash a lots ,sometime it can still be load but just not always ,and if the save location have lots of dead body around me it will be impossible to load no matter which method i use (i try loading small cell or start a new game then load this save about 30 times ,0 scuuess)

I try to tell you t's not wanilia locations but from mod. I can't load save from normaly locations even it's small cell.

Load new game, best with live another live, when creating character just press r, then load your save game. I do it every time playing skyrim, no ctd from loading game.

I try to tell you t's not wanilia locations but from mod. I can't load save from normaly locations even it's small cell.

Already try live another live before ,i can even crash in the new save i created...

i try to make a save in Bathing Beauties Luxury Suite...still same result.

Thanks for the reply though ,anyone else have a better idea?

I attach my Papyrus crash log here hope someone can see what's wrong...

u6848u4F8Bu5206u6790u4E00u4FEEu9673u6B23u5349.doc

Nightwing, I doubt it will help you feel better, but I went through the exact same problem you're experiencing for 2 weeks.  Most of those 2 weeks were due to my own stubborness and lack of understanding when I read instructions :)  While I probably can't pinpoint your exact issue, I might be able to point you to some methods you can use to help yourself.

Number one, I see nothing in your load order that waves a red flag to me.  Maybe "ApachiiHair", but that's just a poor mod (IMO), not a game-crasher.  You're also running HDT physics hair, and if you wanted to add a good hair set I'd recommend SGHairPack, but otherwise I think your problems stem from something other than bad mods or load order.  Personally, my first step would be to uninstall ApachiiHair, but that's just me.

You didn't mention whether you're using MO, and in my 2-week hell of CTDs, it was MO that pulled me out of the muck and showed me where my problems lie.  You can't just install it and run it and expect good things, however.  It requires a small amount of self-training to use it to solve issues like this.

I high recommend Sacrema's post "Skyrim Modding Guide", posted just yesterday which outlines a general approach to installing mods.  He links to Gopher's Youtube tutorials on MO, which may seem like a lot of time wasted watching a video until you actually do it.  I found myself many times going "OHH!!! I didn't know that!".  I'm still learning a lot, but that was my first positive step to clearing up my CTD and animation issues.

CTDs are typically caused by either missing master files or by conflicting master files.  Skyrim encounters these, doesn't know what to do and just quits like the loser it is :)  The good news is that MO will flag both of those -- you get all kinds of handy little colored symbols that tell you when a mod needs an update, is missing a master, or you can click on the filter tab to show only conflicts.  

It took me less than an hour to use TES5Edit to clean my DLC masters (Dawnguard.esm, Dragonborn.esm, Heartfires.esm and Update.esm) and update my outdated mods.  MO uses LOOT to do the sorting, and I poured over the LOOT report with a fine tooth comb for more tips on what might be wrong.

Then, I strongly urge you to add FINS' "GenerateFNISforUsers.exe" to the MO run button as well as SKSE.  (You can figure out how to do this in those MO videos).  Funniest thing is that I've been running FNIS from the wrong place all this time.  MO informed me, and after changing how I ran the executable, suddenly my animation issues were fixed!

I doubt that your CTDs are caused by animation conflicts (who knows?).  More likely it sounds like there is either a memory overflow, a mesh conflict or maybe even textures.  Sacrema's posts can help you with the memory part.  MO can help you with other conflicts.  Maybe your first job should be to start disabling mods (using MO, of course) and see if you can get a stable game running.  Then, one by one, reload another mod, test the game, save it, quit, and reload the next.  If even your base unmodded game won't work then the only choice is to uninstall the game and reinstall it.   I've done that, too, 5 times in the last 2 weeks until I finally figured out how to use MO.

Like another poster told me when I was running out of hair to pull out, this is a learning experience and once you learn it, you'll have the knowledge and experience to avoid the same issues in the future.  I know, personally, I think I'm a better Skyrim player now than I was before and that has nothing to do with aiming my bow or casting fireballs :)

Good luck.  Hope you keep after it and let us know whether you fixed it or are still having problems.

Nightwing, I doubt it will help you feel better, but I went through the exact same problem you're experiencing for 2 weeks.  Most of those 2 weeks were due to my own stubborness and lack of understanding when I read instructions :)  While I probably can't pinpoint your exact issue, I might be able to point you to some methods you can use to help yourself.

Number one, I see nothing in your load order that waves a red flag to me.  Maybe "ApachiiHair", but that's just a poor mod (IMO), not a game-crasher.  You're also running HDT physics hair, and if you wanted to add a good hair set I'd recommend SGHairPack, but otherwise I think your problems stem from something other than bad mods or load order.  Personally, my first step would be to uninstall ApachiiHair, but that's just me.

You didn't mention whether you're using MO, and in my 2-week hell of CTDs, it was MO that pulled me out of the muck and showed me where my problems lie.  You can't just install it and run it and expect good things, however.  It requires a small amount of self-training to use it to solve issues like this.

I high recommend Sacrema's post "Skyrim Modding Guide", posted just yesterday which outlines a general approach to installing mods.  He links to Gopher's Youtube tutorials on MO, which may seem like a lot of time wasted watching a video until you actually do it.  I found myself many times going "OHH!!! I didn't know that!".  I'm still learning a lot, but that was my first positive step to clearing up my CTD and animation issues.

CTDs are typically caused by either missing master files or by conflicting master files.  Skyrim encounters these, doesn't know what to do and just quits like the loser it is :)  The good news is that MO will flag both of those -- you get all kinds of handy little colored symbols that tell you when a mod needs an update, is missing a master, or you can click on the filter tab to show only conflicts.  

It took me less than an hour to use TES5Edit to clean my DLC masters (Dawnguard.esm, Dragonborn.esm, Heartfires.esm and Update.esm) and update my outdated mods.  MO uses LOOT to do the sorting, and I poured over the LOOT report with a fine tooth comb for more tips on what might be wrong.

Then, I strongly urge you to add FINS' "GenerateFNISforUsers.exe" to the MO run button as well as SKSE.  (You can figure out how to do this in those MO videos).  Funniest thing is that I've been running FNIS from the wrong place all this time.  MO informed me, and after changing how I ran the executable, suddenly my animation issues were fixed!

I doubt that your CTDs are caused by animation conflicts (who knows?).  More likely it sounds like there is either a memory overflow, a mesh conflict or maybe even textures.  Sacrema's posts can help you with the memory part.  MO can help you with other conflicts.  Maybe your first job should be to start disabling mods (using MO, of course) and see if you can get a stable game running.  Then, one by one, reload another mod, test the game, save it, quit, and reload the next.  If even your base unmodded game won't work then the only choice is to uninstall the game and reinstall it.   I've done that, too, 5 times in the last 2 weeks until I finally figured out how to use MO.

Like another poster told me when I was running out of hair to pull out, this is a learning experience and once you learn it, you'll have the knowledge and experience to avoid the same issues in the future.  I know, personally, I think I'm a better Skyrim player now than I was before and that has nothing to do with aiming my bow or casting fireballs :)

Good luck.  Hope you keep after it and let us know whether you fixed it or are still having problems.

Thanks for the reply Slade ,but it just my luck i believe i find out what cause CTD ,turn out to be the one i install very early and really don't want to uninstall---Private Need ,it's either i install it wrong or the script is not very stabel ,i uninstall it then load it 10 times in a roll and no crash now...gotta get to that support topic and confirm if i did anything wrong.

i try to make a save in Bathing Beauties Luxury Suite...still same result.

Sadly I don't know any other method just wanted to say this is the worst idea ever bathing beauties mod is heavy scripted so making a "kickstart" save there is not a good idea.

So I still have this ctd problem when loading a save. After many attempts i resolved unistalling everything (again) and rebuild my modded skyrim from zero.

These are my pc specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Processor: Intel® Core i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

Display Memory: 4095 MB

Dedicated Memory: 3053 MB
Shared Memory: 1042 MB

The question is: what type of mods between the heavly scripted ones ( like frostfall or SD+)and the hd retexture (like aMidianBorn) 

will make crash my saves, especially in late game?

Lordoz, I don't have enough experience or expertise to give you a definitive answer.  But I do think that the mods that have caused me the most problems with CTDs have been any that altered basic game behaviors, mainly scripts.  Like  you, it took a total uninstall/reinstall to fix my own issues and I haven't reinstalled SexLab mods yet.  I'm now struggling with a minor animation bug (random creatures in "T-Pose") and I refuse to add more scripts to my game until I can get this build working flawlessly.

The amount of memory your machine has is not really relevant, as I understand it, because Skyrim's memory use dates back to the 1990s.  I've added the SKSE mem patch and ENBoost, and while it didn't fix my animation issue it certainly seems to make my game run faster & smoother.

This might be helpful:  http://forum.step-project.com/topic/6726-common-ctds-freezes-ils-and-memory-issues/