Constant completely random CTDs, CTDs when trying to load from main menu

Cipherof3vil

My game is CONSTANTLY fkin crashing,  I crash at least once per half hour of play at completely random moments with no obvious relation.  I can randomly crash performing the same action I've done a hundred times without err,  and then return to do the same action with no crash.  It doesn't even have to be something I trigger,  but something else such as a Draugr Deathlord using a shout.

THEN to top it off,  I cannot load any games from the main menu regardless of save type or the save file itself.  It crashes a few seconds into loading about nine times out of ten,  or more.    The only way to more reliably load as save is to use the console to load an autosave,  or to start a new game and load from the in-game ESC menu.   Within the game itself there's almost never a problem loading saves.  

I completely restarted skyrim fresh games,  fresh mods,  fresh freshins,  the problem was temporarily gone but it's returned in force,  now even loading via console will sometimes cause crashes.

It's so pathetic for any game to be so unbelievably unstable.  I HAVE to use mods to be able to play it at all,  it runs like sh!t on it's own.   If it were released like this today people would complain about it at least as much or more so than they complain about Unity.  But perhaps not,  since at least it doesn't have uPlay.

I swear,  playing Skyrim feels like playing Jenga,   at any moment you expect it to come crashing down.

I have TESVEdit,  but it's useless to me outside of fixing problems that immediately cause Skyrim to crash before reaching the main menu,  and LOOT seems to cause more problems than it fixes.

1. Update.esm
  2. Dragonborn.esm
  3. Dawnguard.esm
  4. RSkyrimChildren.esm
  5. Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
  6. Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
  7. Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
  8. Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm
  9. RaceCompatibility.esm
  10. ApachiiHair.esm
  11. ApachiiHairFemales.esm
  12. Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
  13. RSChildren_V.esp
  14. RSChildren_PatchUSKP.esp
  15. RSChildren_PlayableOverride.esp
  16. ToL_Core_by_Brevi.esp
  17. ToL_SKSE_by_Brevi.esp
  18. Nature of the beast.esp
  19. Better Vampires ML.esp
  20. PerkusMaximus_Master.esp
  21. PerkusMaximus_Warrior.esp
  22. PerkusMaximus_Thief.esp
  23. PerkusMaximus_Mage.esp
  24. PerMa Expansion 1 - Wintermyst.esp
  25. SkyUI.esp
  26. P1FlyingRing.esp
  27. Extended UI.esp
  28. Thunderchild - Epic Shout Package.esp
  29. JaxonzBlinkTeleport2.esp
  30. DragonFire.esp
  31. Mighty Magick Skyrim - Main.esp
  32. UnrestrictedMagickaPower.esp
  33. GrassOnSteroids_Short.esp
  34. Toccata.esp
  35. UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
  36. Bijin Warmaidens.esp
  37. SlavePackRiekling.esp
  38. VioLens.esp
  39. Phenderix Tool - Spell Edit.esp
  40. Phenderix Tool - Weapon Edit.esp
  41. Travel Attire.esp
  42. BlackSacramentArmor.esp
  43. BlackSacramentDBReplacer.esp
  44. Animated Dragon Wings.esp
  45. RavenCastle.esp
  46. More Draconic Dragon Aspect - Powered Edition.esp
  47. More Draconic Dragon Aspect - Wings and Tail.esp
  48. More Draconic Dragon Aspect - Flying Mod Addon.esp
  49. DarkManeuvers.esp
  50. dD - Easy Lift Bodies and Objects.esp
  51. VicnCreaturePack.esp
  52. Fantasia.esp
  53. FNISspells.esp
  54. Brawl Bugs CE.esp
  55. psikoticsnecromancy.esp
  56. TemptressVixen.esp
  57. WerewolfMastery.esp
  58. MorePP.esp
  59. AK- Alternate Actors.esp
  60. CharacterMakingExtender.esp
  61. EnhancedCharacterEdit.esp
  62. HHairstyles.esp
  63. SGEyebrows.esp
  64. Proper Aiming.esp
  65. dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp
  66. chfshPlayerVoicesets.esp
  67. Extended Slider Colors.esp
  68. Brothers.esp
  69. 1nivWICCloaks.esp
  70. skyforgedWeapons.esp
  71. bedremoveownership.esp
  72. UniqueRadiantAndPartyClothes.esp
  73. zzLSAR.esp
  74. WerewolfPerksExpanded.esp
  75. FluffusMinimus_Legendaryish.esp
  76. LustmordVampireArmor.esp
  77. Dawnguard - Join As A Vampire.esp
  78. BVFE_Serana.esp

If the Stability Guide is all yiddish to you, then is it safe to assume you're not using the SKSE 1.7 memory patch or ENBoost? If you're not, this is something you really need to do. The random crashing for no reason is (most likely based on what you've described) a memory issue. You're running out of either VRAM or heap memory.

What are your specs?

Also, can we get a list of your graphical mods if you have any, since they do not have esps.    

The not being able to load a save can be cause by so many things. I have that problem sometimes too. Usually I can load an older save and quick load within the menu to get to the save that's crashing. It might be a mod conflict, memory, a bad ini tweak, or any number of things causing it. 

I use SKSE...  But not any memory patch thing I think...  I tried to do ENBoost,  but the site was irritatingly unclear on what was needed.  I downloaded the first thing I could find and added those files to the skyrim folder and now my HiAlgo Boost logo in the right corner is replaced by a ENBoost sort of message in the left.  So I guess maybe?   

I don't see how I can be running out of memory,  the crashes happen within minutes sometimes,  and after 30+ minutes other times.    But if it could help then it's probably worth it...  

I don't really know how to get any specs...   

Okay..  

The things that seem relevant might be....  Processor:  Intel® Core i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3300 Mhz, 2 Cores(s), 4 Logical Processors(s).

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 7.91 GB.

Available Physical Memory 4.44 GB.

Total Virtual Memory 15.8 GB

Available 10.6 GB

... Um.   Windows 7 Home Premium.  

It's an Inspiron 620.  "x64-basead PC".

That's all I really know.

I don't really have any graphical mods,  not particularly.  Everything I get is meant to increase performance,  because my game isn't particularly playable without any performance mods PLUS playing in Windowed mode.   Even with performance mods and low-medium settings my framerate would make those PC gamers that glorify 60fps and vilify sub-60... They'd cry themselves to sleep at this framerate.    I'm lucky to have around 25 at best.

So...  Grass on Steroids that's supposed to give a fps boost (But I still get a better boost just turning grass off .-. )  Skyrim Optimization,  HiAlgo Boost (But I guess ENBoost now),  a mod to get rid of interior fog (That stuff really fucks up framerate).    Not sure I have anything else that could be considered a graphical mod.

Guide on getting ENBoost working (visuals of ENB disabled):

http://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost

If you don't know how to calculate the "VRAM + RAM - 2048" formula properly, just set in enblocal.ini:

AutodetectVideoMemorySize=true

The binaries are on:

http://enbdev.com/download_mod_tesskyrim.htm

To get the SKSE memory patch working, create a file called "SKSE.ini" in "Data\SKSE" and add these lines to it:

http://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender

You can use this, but it's optional now: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/41592/

Don't use HiAlgo Boost, though.

When you play in windowed mode, make sure to disable Windows 7's "Aero" by switching styles or typing this into cmd.exe:

net stop uxsms (to disable Aero)

net start uxsms (to enable Aero again. Rebooting does the same)

If you don't know how to calculate the "VRAM + RAM - 2048" formula properly, just set in enblocal.ini:

The binaries are on:

To get the SKSE memory patch working, create a file called "SKSE.ini" in "Data\SKSE" and add these lines to it:

You can use this, but it's optional now: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/41592/

When you play in windowed mode, make sure to disable Windows 7's "Aero" by switching styles or typing this into cmd.exe:

I followed the ENB one,  I think I might not have fked anything up so much.   I clicked the nexus link instead for the SKSE one and "Downloaded with manager"  Hopefully that works properly as-is.

I don't know what that optional mod does,  so I'm not gonna touch it if it's not needed.

Is the disabling Aero thing covered by game boosters?  I think aero is a theme right?  It should be gone then I think.

I guess I can see if these work now....

*Goes to test before sending post*

...  Now my game immediately shits itself trying to load a save instead of showing the loading screen at all ...

... And immediately shits itself when using console to load a game ...

... Only New game is functional ...

Edit:  And the new game isn't really playable.   10x laggier,  especially with the mouse and looking around.

It's the Soul Cairn specifically it seems.   Entering the Soul Cairn causes INSTANT CTD like the turdstain doesn't even try to load anything,  and loading saves within it causes instant CTD.   

Ah,  the Shift-Enter menu thing had a lot of fancy-shit active,  disabling everything smoothed it out a LOT.  I could say it's playable now.  Something still feels off about it though,  but that could just be because I'm use to Hi-Algo Boost.

The binaries are on:

I followed the ENB one,  I think I might not have fked anything up so much.   I clicked the nexus link instead for the SKSE one and "Downloaded with manager"  Hopefully that works properly as-is.

I don't know what that optional mod does,  so I'm not gonna touch it if it's not needed.

Is the disabling Aero thing covered by game boosters?  I think aero is a theme right?  It should be gone then I think.

I guess I can see if these work now....

*Goes to test before sending post*

...  Now my game immediately shits itself trying to load a save instead of showing the loading screen at all ...

... And immediately shits itself when using console to load a game ...

... Only New game is functional ...

Edit:  And the new game isn't really playable.   10x laggier,  especially with the mouse and looking around.

Seems like you didn't disable the visual part of ENB. Did you set all the values of the "Skyrim\enblocal.ini" to the ones suggested in the first link?

Downloading any kind of ENB or ENBoost stuff through the mod manager won't do anything.

Seems like you didn't disable the visual part of ENB. Did you set all the values of the "Skyrim\enblocal.ini" to the ones suggested in the first link?

Downloading any kind of ENB or ENBoost stuff through the mod manager won't do anything.

I did,  but I just noticed that in the Shift-Menu all the fancy stuff was still enabled.   Disabling everything smoothed it out a LOT.

I downloaded the SKSE Ini file thing through the manager..

Re; Edit I just did on the previous post:

It's the Soul Cairn specifically it seems.   Entering the Soul Cairn causes INSTANT CTD like the turdstain doesn't even try to load anything,  and loading saves within it causes instant CTD.   

Ah,  the Shift-Enter menu thing had a lot of fancy-shit active,  disabling everything smoothed it out a LOT.  I could say it's playable now.  Something still feels off about it though,  but that could just be because I'm use to Hi-Algo Boost.

The stuff in the shift+enter menu doesn't do anything, no matter if enabled or disabled, if you set up the enblocal.ini properly. ;)

You should check it again.

This line in enblocal.ini, as described in the first link, disables all of what you just manually disabled automatically.

UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true

The SKSE.ini you downloaded off Nexus should work fine. You could open it up and remove this line completely, though:

iTintTextureResolution=2048

Yes, "Game Boosters" should/can disable Aero for you.

The stuff in the shift+enter menu doesn't do anything, no matter if enabled or disabled, if you set up the enblocal.ini properly. ;)

You should check it again.

This line in enblocal.ini, as described in the first link, disables all of what you just manually disabled automatically.

UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true

The SKSE.ini you downloaded off Nexus should work fine. You could open it up and remove this line completely, though:

iTintTextureResolution=2048

Yes, "Game Boosters" should/can disable Aero for you.

It's very clearly doing something for me.  Activating /deactivating things even selectively causes performance dips or gains.

At best though,  staring at a wall up close,  my fps is around 25....  Looking down a hall I get around 10-13.

It bounces around a LOT.  In menus it shows 53,  coming back to it after alt-tabing and clicking out (To reply to this) it showed 41,   even in-game it bounces around within a few digits.  Which is a lot when everything is already sub-20.

Edit:  ugh, I just looked at the Enblocal file again,  all the changes apparently weren't saved.

It seems more stable.  I still just got a CTD,  but I was able to play for longer than I have in a long while.  Reverting to an older save in the castle tower before activating the portal to the Soul Cairn let me enter without insta-crashing,  and I was then able to almost reach Serana's mother- after exploring everywhere in between first.  She was almost in sight when I suddenly CTD'd as I pressed to use a shout on some skeletons that had just spawned.

I'm also getting more use to it.  I think it's mostly just not having HiAlgo Boost's lowered-res when in motion that I'm unaccustomed to after using it for so long.

I also noticed in your load order that Better Vampires is above your race mod. It should go below it. I would drag Better Vampires to the bottom, because your last 2 mods are vampire mods, and the only vampire related mods that go below BV is Royal Bloodline or Predator Vision if you prefer it's night vision. You don't use either of them. Alternate Start is also way too high. It should be dead last. I'm also not sure about Perkus because I don't use it, but it seems way too high, as well. 

Is the above load order from LOOT? LOOT is a good tool, but it gets it wrong sometimes because of the way it scans esps. Make sure you look at each mod's description carefully for special load order instructions.   

You're probably still going to crash every now and again, but I'm glad it seems to be less often now.  :) Remember that your race mod, Bijin Warmaidens and RS children are fairly high graphic. Most of them use 2k and up textures.

You didn't list a GPU, so I'm assuming you have integrated graphics? If that's the case, your game is running surprisingly well.

Race mod?  I see Temptress still in there.  Must a deactivated it after I posted.  I haven't actually used it.  I'm currently just a Nord.    But sure,  I'll drag Better Vampires to the bottom.  If Royal Bloodline goes below Better Vampires,  perhaps Dark Maneuvers will behave better if I do that.  I'm having problems with the Vampire Lord form.  (I can't use left or right mouse buttons to do anything)  So I've just been ignoring the form.

It should be from LOOT yea.  I think I ran it before I posted.  Coulda been after though.

I think it is an integrated graphics,  yea.  I think I recall seeing that in places.

Oh, okay. Yeah, I was looking at TemptressVixen esp.  :) I would do that and place Dark Maneuvers below BV to see if it helps your issues. On the DM page it says it's compatible with everything, however says nothing about load order. Since it's quite a large change to the vampire lord form, I would place it below BV.

I would look into your PerMa load order too, because it just seems off to me. I could be wrong, though, since I don't use it. But just to be safe.

I thought it might be. :) Crashing will happen, then. You'll more than likely run out of VRAM from time to time in heavy areas. Hopefully ENBoost and SKSE will help this, but it's still going to happen.   

Now I keep having problems with Dragonborn -.-  I got through Dawnguard yesterday and I finally go to do Dragonborn loaded up with both dragon calls,  two world-savings,  and ALL vanilla / Dawnguard shouts,   and I can't even get past the first dungeon without CONSTANTLY crashing.  The majority of the crashes are related to shouts.   The most frequent crash source always seems to be when someone uses a Shout.  I just CTD'd when Miraak used a shout.  I CTDd less than half an hour ago when a Draugr shouted,   and sometime before that when I shouted,   And in the past the pattern persists.     I don't seem to have completely random CTDs anymore though,  Or at least those are far less frequent now.

I'm so,  so,  so stressed by this game.  

The shout Miraak kept CTDing me was Dragon Aspect.   I realized that on the second CTD.   The Draugr's CTDs are random and not terribly frequent.  I had a mod changing Dragon Aspect that was causing the constant CTD.

Just beat Dragonborn.    My enjoyment of Apocrypha was limited due to a crappy PC,  but hey.   Oh well.    Apocrypha is hard on the system it seems.     I guess the only thing left for me to do is wrap up side quests Dragonborn added,  then I suppose the only thing left would be to get Hearthfire to make lesbians with Serana and adopt kiddos for a "Happy ever after" type deal for the dragonborn who's done it all.

Archived