Is the Skyrim vanilla head size too big?

Kuロi

Bit of a random question, but that's something that's often been on my mind.

I'll sometimes have a feeling that my character's head is too big. It's not that noticeable with SevenBase (In fact I pretty much don't notice it), but if I temporarily switch to UNP, I notice it instantly. Now Racemenu allows you to scale the size of your head, which brings me to ask :

Does anyone ever tweak the size of his character's head? Every time, or only with certain bodies and/or presets (UNP for example).

Depending on the physical size of my character, I tweak the head size a bit, I'm a sucker for porportion. The hands drive me nuts. They're always too big and the wrists!!! omgaawwd the wrists... But I'm with Yngol, tiny heads creep me right the hell out.  :lol:

It's a problem if you resize the head for a follower NPC mod, as if you made the head too big the circlets disappear in the skull unless (according to ECE) you use a custom skeleton (unfortunately doesn't specify whose skeleton mod one should use).

Well I'm not gonna drop it too low, but sometimes something like 0.02-3 seems appropriate , and only if the character in question has a petite size. Maybe I'm simply too used to 7B's size though, as whenever I try UNP from some reason I feel so small while my character's head doesn't really change size.

Edit : I'm strictly speaking for my PC btw. Most of the time I couldn't care lest for NPC's proportion, as odds are I'll never really pay attention to how close they follow realistic proportions.

Depending on the physical size of my character, I tweak the head size a bit, I'm a sucker for porportion. The hands drive me nuts. They're always too big and the wrists!!! omgaawwd the wrists... But I'm with Yngol, tiny heads creep me right the hell out.  :lol:

Wrists and hands are a nightmare, really. No matter how much I tweak my character, they're always so darn awful. I'm pretty sure I could make a giant character and the hands would still bug the hell out of me.

Guest Vendayn

I noticed heads being a bit weird in other games.

Like in Aion. The vanilla heads were far too small. But, one size bigger was too big and one size smaller was obviously worse. It bugged me so much I quit playing.

In Skyrim. My current body meshes/textures are perfect with head size. However, I've used a really old version of Monli where the head was huge and if I made it a bit smaller it looked wrong...couldn't ever get it right. But I don't have that issue now.

I think in some cases, the body/head is made wrong and the proportions on probably the body are badly made. Usually bad art design. Or whatever its from, its just badly made if the head doesn't and can't ever match correctly with the body. I'd say if you have that issue, its time to find a new body from better designers :P

I had a problem with previous versions of Race Menu making the head too big at default 1, that seems to be fixed with the latest release.

I do sometimes see submitted screens of otherwise very well crafted characters where the head's patently a little too large, or more often, too small. Actually I often see that in comic book artwork - big thighs, heaving jugs, head like Pepper from American Horror Story. 

I'm going to call this affliction hooter blindness. 

I noticed heads being a bit weird in other games.

Like in Aion. The vanilla heads were far too small. But, one size bigger was too big and one size smaller was obviously worse. It bugged me so much I quit playing.

In Skyrim. My current body meshes/textures are perfect with head size. However, I've used a really old version of Monli where the head was huge and if I made it a bit smaller it looked wrong...couldn't ever get it right. But I don't have that issue now.

I think in some cases, the body/head is made wrong and the proportions on probably the body are badly made. Usually bad art design. Or whatever its from, its just badly made if the head doesn't and can't ever match correctly with the body. I'd say if you have that issue, its time to find a new body from better designers :P

It's mostly about size and age of the character being created. If they're supposed to be small and young, like a Monli PC for example, then the head should be bigger (proportional to the body). Make your Monli taller to better represent a teenager and the head will need to be made a little smaller.

I tweak the head everytime, and the body to proportion with it, but it depends on the character.

My character is about an 8-head in ratio, what this means is that 8 of my character's heads stacked on top of each other make the frame. The top 4 would be the torso and head, and the bottom 4 are the legs down to the feet. This is a conscious decision, as I wanted a more valkyrie-like appearance, while also not being too imposing. XPMSE allowed me to do all of that, with ease, scaling other body proportions to make it just right(I mean, I don't want silly things like hands, tits, etc being larger than the head that's absurd). I also like 7BO(though the breasts needed to be reduced to fit proportion) the best as the frame was exactly what I was looking for.

7 to 7 1/2 head are "average" 

Caricatures as an example look sort of like a 2-head, maybe 2 1/2, with the head being enlarged far more than the body is reduced.

I've also seen for example in the showcase counterpart thread here, where people go in the opposite direction with a larger body compared to the head where it looks like a 12-head or more. It just doesn't look right. Though, it's subjective, as some people enjoy that look.

I usually have to make my characters head bigger. The female ones anyway. I don't have to adjust the male head size usually but I've only ever made one or two. I notice a lot of people tend to have characters with tiny head more so than big heads. It's all about proportions I guess. Some bigger bodies actually work with smaller heads though. They help emphasize just how big the body is. As long as the head size is the same as other NPCs, it's fine. This usually works well characters that you make really tall and usually helps if you have a screenshot of them standing next to a regular sized person

Archived