How to change transparency of DDS files?

lambient1988

Load the armor into nifskope and right click the armor and go to block - remove branch and look and make sure that there is a body under the armor close nifskope. No point wasting time making something transparent if there is no body under it or the body is broken with missing body parts.

Do not close gimp during this process so that you can keep undoing till you get it to where you want it at. Load texture file into gimp2 then lasso the area that you want to add transparency to and select eraser change opacity to anything other then 100. Erase over the whole spot then go to file overwrite .dds file load the nif up into nifskope go to render - settings and follow the folder path to your skyrim folder when you get to data folder click it and hit ok. Outfit should now render in nifskope now right click the part that you added the transparency to and go to node - attach property - NiAlphaProperty and click ok it should now become transparent look at it and decide if it looks good if not go back to gimps and click edit undo and try again. Once you get the outfit to where you want it at click save as to overwrite the nif. Make sure that you add the NiAlphaProperty to both _0 and _1 nifs and save as for both because what you do to one nif has to be done to the other one as well or it will not appear changed in game. 

You have to attach a NiAlphaProperty to the part in Nifskope, then change the color of the .dds's alpha channel. White is 100% visible, full black is completely transparent. Try with 50% grey first, then see how it looks like ingame :P

Edit: Was too slow :P

I'm just a novice modder but the transparency is in the alpha channel I believe. Your best bet is to Google Nightasy. ?He has a whole video series on modding and one that covers this topic. He's an excellent resource.

Load the armor into nifskope and right click the armor and go to block - remove branch and look and make sure that there is a body under the armor close nifskope. No point wasting time making something transparent if there is no body under it or the body is broken with missing body parts.

Do not close gimp during this process so that you can keep undoing till you get it to where you want it at. Load texture file into gimp2 then lasso the area that you want to add transparency to and select eraser change opacity to anything other then 100. Erase over the whole spot then go to file overwrite .dds file load the nif up into nifskope go to render - settings and follow the folder path to your skyrim folder when you get to data folder click it and hit ok. Outfit should now render in nifskope now right click the part that you added the transparency to and go to node - attach property - NiAlphaProperty and click ok it should now become transparent look at it and decide if it looks good if not go back to gimps and click edit undo and try again. Once you get the outfit to where you want it at click save as to overwrite the nif. Make sure that you add the NiAlphaProperty to both _0 and _1 nifs and save as for both because what you do to one nif has to be done to the other one as well or it will not appear changed in game. 

You have to attach a NiAlphaProperty to the part in Nifskope, then change the color of the .dds's alpha channel. White is 100% visible, full black is completely transparent. Try with 50% grey first, then see how it looks like ingame :P

Edit: Was too slow :P

Thank you everyone, it worked! :)

Take a look:

post-484133-0-97288700-1419805654_thumb.png

How ever in some armours there are few extra textures, how do I remove those?

Like in the below the one the white thing near the chest and the panties. How do I remove those?

post-484133-0-22566400-1419805683_thumb.png

Not sure what you mean, all I see is that pink top clipping through her breasts. If that's the one you have to check that in Nifskope and either remove it or apply an alpha property to it too, but I'd recommend removing it because of the clipping :P

Not sure what you mean, all I see is that pink top clipping through her breasts. If that's the one you have to check that in Nifskope and either remove it or apply an alpha property to it too, but I'd recommend removing it because of the clipping :P

Yes, I want to remove the pink top that is clipping along with the panties.

Is it easy to do it via NifSkope or should I refer to some guide?

I am not at home at the moment so I cannot do it right now.

The white part looks like it was placed under the top just to add to something to the cleavage area if it is not connected to anything you can load each nif into nifskope 1 at a time and right click the white part and go to block - remove branch this will delete that out of the nif and all the nodes and stuff that was attached to it. The panties shouldn't be connected to anything so you should just be able to right click them and go to block - remove branch. Then save as to overwrite the nif.

The white part looks like it was placed under the top just to add to something to the cleavage area if it is not connected to anything you can load each nif into nifskope 1 at a time and right click the white part and go to block - remove branch this will delete that out of the nif and all the nodes and stuff that was attached to it. The panties shouldn't be connected to anything so you should just be able to right click them and go to block - remove branch. Then save as to overwrite the nif.

Wow, that sound easy, thanks a bunch everyone. :)

I learned something new today. :D

Thank you all!!

Archived