[REQ] Help to animate these wings

The first thing I did was to check the animated dragon wings. Is the best wings mod out there. But to accomplish that is harder than you imagine.

I tried all the methods within my grasp, just cannot do it myself.

In conclusion I wouldn't expect to see these wings or my Fairy Race in game any time soon.

Fire.i have no idea what they are doing while dancing,i can only use imagination :)

Sun,did you try contact the person made those dragon animated wings,maybe he/she can help?

It would be a shame not having this race too in world but you know best if can or not be done.

We might eventually have the race in game. But I'm learning how to animate nifs from square one. I know nothing about it - when I make a mistake, I cannot even evaluate at what point the mistake was made -  and with the time available to learn it will take a long time before I can do the animation on my own.

You only can try your best,and i wish you luck and wish i could know how help but even if i contact someone i don't have half of your knowledge in any of animation things so that would be of no use to you.

I saw someone made angel and demon wings using the same animation those dragon ones are,so maybe the person is willing share how make them.

That would make your work more easy and not time consuming.Only a suggestion,its your call :)

Ok let me preface this with a: I don't really know what I'm talking about here but I'm using observations I've made from playing around with different modeling files while trying to learn myself. I have a basic understanding on how rigging works but not explicitly how this game handles it or how to do it. That being said I'm trying help create a work around. Also some of my jargon will be prolly totally wrong.

One thing I know about Skyrim is that any texture that has a clear channel can be made invisible. This is how a lot of "skimpy" mods work. They remove parts of the model then using the same textures erase part of it so its clear. My suggestion would be to reverse engineer the wings this way. The skeleton that controls the wings are in "segments." You can tell this without ever opening the skeleton because the wings "bend" when they move. A solution to make "pixie" wings would be to combine them/cut them out of the dragon wings and only use the FIRST skeleton segment of the wings so that they flutter in only two directions (in and out) without bending (like a butterfly.)

I drew you some quick stick figures to try to help you understand:

mli79x.jpg

If my observations are correct you should be able to do this with just nifskope and a texture editor.

• 4 months later...