GECK accessing BSA's

Halstrom

I want to use a vanilla mesh with a retexture to create a new item, the originals location is:

dlcanch\armor\chinesestealtharmor\m\glovel.nif

but if I enter that in GECK it says location not found, is there a way to get around this without extracting the mesh from the BSA

post-12141-0-45585600-1417558576_thumb.jpg

I don't think so. I haven't seen any references to this when I was reading up on BSA properties and how to process and handle them. I don't really think this is possible otherwise mod content creators would just create the BSA and then work from the BSA in Fallout. However everybody distributes loose files despite the benefit of having them in BSA because it is a pain to create the BSA and  then have to keep on creating the BSA every time you make changes to the mods files.

If/ When I do work on mods and do anything with these files.. I will likely have an archive of them uncompressed just for ease of use and reference. It would take up more space but make it easy if I ever wanted to mess with a gloves nif.. :D.

Anyway..  I have seen many people (modders) pop in this thread and still no other comments.. I hope I was able to give at least some assistance. ;)

yeah, just put another path to some loose file you already have. After you confirmed, save and quit. Open FNVEdit, look for your item and manually change the path on there. Next time you'll load your esp in GECK, it will have the right mesh, even if the file is inside the BSA and not a loose

yeah, just put another path to some loose file you already have. After you confirmed, save and quit. Open FNVEdit, look for your item and manually change the path on there. Next time you'll load your esp in GECK, it will have the right mesh, even if the file is inside the BSA and not a loose

Hey now that is a cool idea as all wanted to do was make a retextured version of the original mesh for females, I'll have a poke in FNVEdit

The BSA creator that comes with the Skyrim Creation Kit works fine in making BSAs for Fallout. I've made BSAs for nearly everything I use in Fallout 3. The one thing to remember about FO3/NV and BSAs is that stuff in the BSA is ONLY used if the stuff is referenced in the esm/esp that goes with it. You can't just take your armor replacer meshes/textures and make a BSA and a dummy esp like with Skyrim - the esp must reference every file in the BSA... and those refs must be unique. No overrides for files in BSAs. So if you wish to do an armor replacer AND make it a BSA, you need to make every piece use a different path or file name, and then have every piece in the esp. That's probably the main reason folks don't use BSAs for a lot of mods for FO3/NV.

A few points on gloves. They are usually ARMO items and not ARMA for clothing (and defined for the outfit in an FLST entry in the BIPL), and ARMA records for armor. Er, in English, for clothing they are armor addons defined in the biped model list for the armor. For armor, they are armor, also defined in the biped model list for the armor. Like all armor, if a female model is missing, the male model is used... or it's *supposed* to ;) Supposedly that applies to armor addons too.

Archived