Ready to write a usable script

Hey, folks.

I have been trying to work out issues in the CK to cause NPCs to be able to capture the player, as well as other NPCs, through the use of poisons or enchantments.

None of the poisons have so far been used by the NPCs that I made. I built enchantments, and enchanted weapons, but those didn't work as intended (although they did work to some extent).

Now I'm ready to try a script to find out if I can cause the NPCs I made to poison their weapons with the poisons that I made.

The initial script that I hope to include will not involve any quests, but certain conditions for the purpose of testing. These conditions should include:

-The player's level versus the poison used

-Whether or not the player has been poisoned (in this case, the player is preferred as the prime target)

-The presence of any followers (in which case, the NPCs will break off the attack on the player in favor of attacking the followers)

-Check to see if all actors, including the player, have been poisoned

-If all have been poisoned, the poison effect stops and black out occurs (maybe; not too sure about black out)

-Finally, an end to the sequence

First of all, would it take a complicated script to accomplish this? Second, what is a good resource to read and follow as a tutorial that will give adequate instruction to accomplish what I hope to do.

I'm at the end of what I figure I can do in the CK with this issue, so I'm exploring options that may allow me to do precisely what I want, instead of compromising consistency simply to get something to work "in a similar fashion" to what I have planned.

I would like to thank the LL community for the support so far and continue to ask for it.

Doing all that would require quite a few scripts that handle various aspects. It's going to be complicated, especially without some background in programming.

This is the place to start with Papyrus scripting: Creation Kit Papyrus Reference

A technical observation: NPCs don't really need to "use" poisons. It would be simpler just to identify enemies that might use poisons then decide if the intended magic effect should be applied to the target at the point when that enemy's attack hits. From a gameplay perspective the result should be indistinguishable. There's a long way to go before this becomes an issue, though.

Here is a new one to me: I launched the CK to write example scripts, but I launched it using MO. When I tried to compile the script, CK couldn't find it, presumably because it checks the Steam apps/Skyrim/Data/Scripts folder, but it was buried in MO's overwrite folder.

How do I set up the CK to check MO for script files instead of checking the default folder?

Here is a new one to me: I launched the CK to write example scripts, but I launched it using MO. When I tried to compile the script, CK couldn't find it, presumably because it checks the Steam apps/Skyrim/Data/Scripts folder, but it was buried in MO's overwrite folder.

How do I set up the CK to check MO for script files instead of checking the default folder?

Oh right, the compiler doesn't work through MO. You'll have to temporarily move the files to the Data folder.

STEP has a guide to third-party apps in MO.

Thanks again.

I repeated the Bethesda "Hello World" tutorial. I did this once, months ago, but I learned nothing at that time. Upon trying a second time, and after all of those months of paying attention to much of the forum talk about how existing and working scripts are put together, I have a foundational understanding of how scripts are meant to work; it didn't come together until I repeated the tutorial.

Many things remain now, in terms of, err, terminology (not just the things like variables, integers, boolian); the meat of scripting, to my understanding, is going to come from knowing how to "phrase" things. Many, many things remain.

Archived