So its that time of year again.........

Grave Sevolillie

Given the high risk involved in investing in a copy, I'm taking a wait-and-see position. I'm still not surprised that some don't like it, if not hate it completely, because it's one of the most marketed (or "overrated") shooter franchises in history and how it's playable depends on who's behind the controls. Or how the storyline is digestible.

The Modern Warfare series was like... been there, done that, as it was then trying to compete with Battlefield. Then Black Ops, which somewhat ticked off the military purists. Then Ghosts, which the only problems with it were the severe hardware requirements (this forced me to buy another hard drive and a new video card)... and the storyline that didn't seem to have been expanded on so much as help the player imagine a world made different by a determined world power.

It's not that I don't like it -- it's just that something is terribly missing within the entire franchise, like a proper incentive for the player to keep the game relevant on the shelf.

TBH, playing a shooter once or twice on solo -- and no multiplayer -- is like reading a pulp military action paperback: read once or twice, then later it gets binned somewhere in the attic.

Videos are one thing, but actually playing the game is an entirely different matter.

Given the high risk involved in investing in a copy, I'm taking a wait-and-see position. I'm still not surprised that some don't like it, if not hate it completely, because it's one of the most marketed (or "overrated") shooter franchises in history and how it's playable depends on who's behind the controls. Or how the storyline is digestible.

The Modern Warfare series was like... been there, done that, as it was then trying to compete with Battlefield. Then Black Ops, which somewhat ticked off the military purists. Then Ghosts, which the only problems with it were the severe hardware requirements (this forced me to buy another hard drive and a new video card)... and the storyline that didn't seem to have been expanded on so much as help the player imagine a world made different by a determined world power.

It's not that I don't like it -- it's just that something is terribly missing within the entire franchise, like a proper incentive for the player to keep the game relevant on the shelf.

TBH, playing a shooter once or twice on solo -- and no multiplayer -- is like reading a pulp military action paperback: read once or twice, then later it gets binned somewhere in the attic.

Videos are one thing, but actually playing the game is an entirely different matter.

I agree with you the single player is absolute rubbish in most of the games, although i quite enjoyed the first black ops sp.  I am  1 of those people who enjoy it mainly for the mp side much like why I loved goldeneye and perfect dark. Its really the only online gaming that i do apart from battlefield halo and forza most of the rest of my games are just single player. I will never put a call of duty down as one of my fav games they would have to make a seriously ground breaking one for that to happen. I just enjoy pissing people off in it and try to not get too agro myself usually failing badly at the latter.

Played Golden Eye and Perfect Dark a lot on my N64 back in the 90s. Man i loved those games with Metal Gear Solid 1 on playstation.

2001 i gave up on consoles when Dreamcast died. PC only sinds.

Never liked CoD only first person shooter ive played on PC is Soldiers of Fortune 2.

Solo games like Farcry 1 Bioshock 1 and metro last light never multi.

Generic Warfare? Oh COD? Yeah no, stopped with that after I was no longer a pervy 12 year old screaming into the mic and having mommy come nag at the people who wouldn't let me win. XP

But seriously I would've gotten a COD for PC, IF it wasn't for the ridiculous requirements. Also the fact the PC versions are terrible ports....then again majority of AAA ports are. HAH!

Meh COD BO2 was on my wishlist just for zombies for a while.

It looks pretty, I'll give it that, and it looks like the kinda game (mp wise) that titanfall should have been. I might get it, still undecided. I haven't picked a CoD game up in several years as they all looked the same to me.

Too many other games this month I want though, so this'll be a Black Friday pick up maybe.

If you ask me, Skyrim is about the only game that lasted longer ever since I first assembled this PC on which it's still installed and runs, as every other shooter I tried have come and gone, because, yes, partly we can't mod current-gen shooters (except maybe for insanely complicated ARMA) just like we did back when CS was in its heyday, and partly because we're given a stock storyline that pales in comparison to, say, Spec Ops: The Line or Half-Life 2, and as expected the hostile atmosphere in multiplayer (yes, they'll not play nice).

Of course most of us have become jaded to the point that the CoD/Battlefield hype is despised completely because they're the obligatory milking cows and technological showcases for which to demonstrate the power of new hardware and advanced special visual effects, but at the price of storytelling (makes you wonder about the current state of Hollywood, eh?).

Oh, I thought this thread was going to be about end-of-year releases. (I'm getting Elite:Dangerous)

But it's about CoD. I've never owned or played any version of CoD. I don't expect this situation to ever change. :)

put down what ever games you feel like I only put down cod first because its the first one out this month. For me this month all ways brings great joy to my heart but great sadness to my wallet. The game i was most looking for to this year got pushed back to next year: BATMAN.

Picked a next gen console in august still thinking it was out in october.

Oh, I thought this thread was going to be about end-of-year releases. (I'm getting Elite:Dangerous)

But it's about CoD. I've never owned or played any version of CoD. I don't expect this situation to ever change. :)

Elite Dangerous is fantastic!

Honestly, I didn't quit the series because of the game's quality. I quit because I got so good at them that they stopped being rewarding. I can actually still enjoy them in their proper setting: Sitting around a bigass flatscreen with a group of guys, some 40s, and a couple bowls. Anyone who says the CoD series aren't good party game are fedora tipping hipsters, or antisocial /v/irgins who's every breath is a waste of precious life.

It's like football. You don't watch it alone, but it's great with people.

Honestly, I didn't quit the series because of the game's quality. I quit because I got so good at them that they stopped being rewarding. I can actually still enjoy them in their proper setting: Sitting around a bigass flatscreen with a group of guys, some 40s, and a couple bowls. Anyone who says the CoD series aren't good party game are fedora tipping hipsters, or antisocial /v/irgins who's every breath is a waste of precious life.

It's like football. You don't watch it alone, but it's great with people.

The funny thing is the people i play with is all online and when we get together for system link gaming its all halo. Its kindia weird I quite enjoy playing against random none campers online but its not nearly as much fun as beating your mate's when they are sitting within ten feet of you. 

There will be multiple versions? Or do you just mean the different platforms?

But well, I personally won't get it; the last CoD title was pure disappointment, no need to waste even more money.

*every CoD title after 3 was pure disappointment.

Fixed.

Actually cod 3 in my opinion was the worst waste of money since clayfighter 63 

I have only played three CoDs, the last one being Black Ops 1. I wasn't a fan of the series even before it got all the hatred, I'm not into shooters. With that said, however, I have to say that this one actually looks interesting. It seems to spice up the formula a bit with new additions and whatnot. I'm not gonna buy it, but I can see why people would enjoy it.

Good thing someone had uploaded the first seven parts of the game, and so far with the added newfangled weaponry there's much to learn how to use those multi-functional grenades or maximizing the use of the exo. To add, some missions are very hard to finish that you might have to repeat because you missed an important detail in a given order or a single NPC you need to kill in order to advance the game.

I have only played three CoDs, the last one being Black Ops 1. I wasn't a fan of the series even before it got all the hatred, I'm not into shooters. With that said, however, I have to say that this one actually looks interesting. It seems to spice up the formula a bit with new additions and whatnot. I'm not gonna buy it, but I can see why people would enjoy it.

This is how I feel about CoD in general and Advanced Warfare specifically.

So dont bite my head off  just for asking a question thats nearly as debated as gamergate............here we go:

Anyone buying advance warfare? and if so which version? 

Nah...my interest in the Call of Duty franchise died with Modern Warfare 3.  Nothing against it I personally just find the games very boring.  The COD main selling point is its PVP capabilities and I always found PVP boring at least to me.  If a game doesn't have a good plot to it, its usually a waste of money imho.  Now Advanced Warfare apparently does have a moderate campaign but not enough to get me to buy it full price.

Maybe when it goes down in price I'll pick it up.

Elite Dangerous is fantastic!

Have you been playing the Beta or just watching and waiting for the 16th like me ?

I must admit to a certain nostalgia with this one. Elite on a C64 was the fist game I player (other than pong and arcade stuff) and I had a 'current' copy of the game on every machine I owned up to around 2003 when I couldnt get the emulator to work on my PC of that time. 

I will probably uninstall 'RL' for a bit for that one :D

Archived