[bug report] HDT physics extension cause dead body with a tail to disappear/malfunction/ctd

tengma

I just discovered sometimes dead bodies does not appear at their spawning point, and some CTD when approaching a cell with a dead body.

on one occasion I saw a twisted body colliding randonly with surrounding before CTD, which lead me to believe that those bugs are caused by HDT physicsplug in.

some testing confirmed by guess.

there is how I test it:

1)use a clear save

2)coc to a cell where some dead khajiits suppose to spawn (I use coc poipineforest23b, where there is a khajiit caravan killed by a group of bandits")

3)check if there are dead khajiit body there.

then I installed hdt physic and repeat step 1-3

when hdt is not installed, there are dead khajiit body, but when hdt is installed, khajiit body is nowhere to be found.

60213.jpg60214.jpg60215.jpg

loading a save with deadbody insight is fine, but going into a new cell with deadbody with a tail will cause malfunction and sometimes ctd(tested with vanilla khajiit and turning npc into Elin race mod, which both use a skeletonbeast_female.nif instead of skeleton_female.nif)

Try a test using a blank hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml and see if the problem reoccurs. (I've attached one in case you don't know how to make one--put it in your "data\skse\plugins" folder and be sure to back up your original). What this does is disable the auto BBP .xml by giving it blank information to attach to the skeletons. So you won't get any breast/butt movements, but it'll test whether or not the physics are causing the issue.

I think the CTD is a load issue--I am doubtful HDTPE is causing it. If it is HDTPE, then one of the meshes in that scene might have a BBP-enabled mesh that isn't using a proper BBP-compatible skeleton, so when that node moves by way of HDTPE, the mesh's file will crash the game due to skinning incompatibility. (Check your skeletonbeast_female.nif and make sure it has BBP nodes--Kahjiit will wear the same clothes/body meshes as humans, so any replacers you have for the clothes will match up to the beast races as well, unless you have some mod that changes that of course.)

If your hdtPhysicsExtensions.log file says anything while in that area, please post a snippet of it so we can see what the issues can be.

As for disappearing bodies, that's usually due to when an actor's mesh stretches beyond the clipping field set by your settings. When beyond that clip plane, the game will register the mesh as outside the player's view and hides the actor for rendering purposes. When HDTPE kicks in late, for both living and dead actors, sometimes the BBP-related nodes start at a certain origin and shoot back to the parent actor's relative position, once movement is detected (I am not exactly sure why this happens). It could be that because those Kahjiit are dead, their bodies don't move, so the BBP related nodes don't ever retract back to the actor's bodies, making them invisible because they are outside the clip plane.

I am assuming this glitch only happens to dead female actors, but if it is strictly Kahjiit, we will need to find out why that is.

Hope this helps!

hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml

Try a test using a blank hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml and see if the problem reoccurs. (I've attached one in case you don't know how to make one--put it in your "data\skse\plugins" folder and be sure to back up your original). What this does is disable the auto BBP .xml by giving it blank information to attach to the skeletons. So you won't get any breast/butt movements, but it'll test whether or not the physics are causing the issue.

I think the CTD is a load issue--I am doubtful HDTPE is causing it. If it is HDTPE, then one of the meshes in that scene might have a BBP-enabled mesh that isn't using a proper BBP-compatible skeleton, so when that node moves by way of HDTPE, the mesh's file will crash the game due to skinning incompatibility. (Check your skeletonbeast_female.nif and make sure it has BBP nodes--Kahjiit will wear the same clothes/body meshes as humans, so any replacers you have for the clothes will match up to the beast races as well, unless you have some mod that changes that of course.)

If your hdtPhysicsExtensions.log file says anything while in that area, please post a snippet of it so we can see what the issues can be.

As for disappearing bodies, that's usually due to when an actor's mesh stretches beyond the clipping field set by your settings. When beyond that clip plane, the game will register the mesh as outside the player's view and hides the actor for rendering purposes. When HDTPE kicks in late, for both living and dead actors, sometimes the BBP-related nodes start at a certain origin and shoot back to the parent actor's relative position, once movement is detected (I am not exactly sure why this happens). It could be that because those Kahjiit are dead, their bodies don't move, so the BBP related nodes don't ever retract back to the actor's bodies, making them invisible because they are outside the clip plane.

I am assuming this glitch only happens to dead female actors, but if it is strictly Kahjiit, we will need to find out why that is.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for trying to help me

from my testing,this bug might happen to any race that is using skeletonbeast_female.nif skeleton instead of skeleton_female.nif

which are khajiit and the Elin race replacer which I had been working on, the mean difference is that they have a tail with collision.

I believe so because I tried to replace skeletonbeast_female.nif with skeleton_female.nif and it fixed the bug(yet caused the tail to lose collision)

also, the male kahjiit are also disappearing, for some reason unknown.

anyway there are the data log from entering coc command till I quit the game, I just go to poipineforest23b to check the bodys, which are not there at all.

[09/14/14 01:57:44]INFO: Suspending ... Console
[09/14/14 01:58:01]INFO: Resuming... Fader Menu
[09/14/14 01:58:01]INFO: Cell changed...
[09/14/14 01:58:01]INFO: Add character 00000014
[09/14/14 01:58:04]INFO: Add character 00097d9f
[09/14/14 01:58:05]WARNING: Physics delta time > 0.2, lose time
[09/14/14 01:58:05]INFO: Add character 00097d9a
[09/14/14 01:58:05]INFO: Add character 00097d9b
[09/14/14 01:58:18]INFO: 00097d9f no longer in cell, release it
[09/14/14 01:58:19]INFO: Cell changed...
[09/14/14 01:58:19]INFO: Add character 00097d9f
[09/14/14 01:58:19]INFO: Add character 00000014
[09/14/14 01:58:19]INFO: Cell changed...
[09/14/14 01:58:19]INFO: Add character 00097d9a
[09/14/14 01:58:19]INFO: Add character 00097d9b
[09/14/14 01:58:19]INFO: Add character 00000014
[09/14/14 01:58:21]INFO: Suspending ... Journal Menu

Hope this helps!

I tried your blank xml and it does not fix the problems.

(but deleting the physics plugin all together will)

I am not an expert on skeleton, there are the 2 skeleton I am using:

skeletonbeast_female.nif

skeletonbeast_female.nif

Hm... I'm thinking it could be related to your skeleton, even though the HDTPE log looks very normal (besides that comment about the time difference), but I will try testing on my end--do  you know anywhere else where dead Khajiits can be found? I tried going to the place you pointed out in my own game, but there was a Stormcloak camp there so the Khajiit and and bandits did not spawn.

To test the skeletons, try installing the latest version of XPMSE and see if that helps. If not, then it could be something weird about the plugin.

Hm... I'm thinking it could be related to your skeleton, even though the HDTPE log looks very normal (besides that comment about the time difference), but I will try testing on my end--do  you know anywhere else where dead Khajiits can be found? I tried going to the place you pointed out in my own game, but there was a Stormcloak camp there so the Khajiit and and bandits did not spawn.

To test the skeletons, try installing the latest version of XPMSE and see if that helps. If not, then it could be something weird about the plugin.

the skeleton I am using is XPMSE skeleton...

I tried 2 different location

there is dead khajiit in FalkreathWatchtowerexterior, on top of the tower, that khajiit seems to appear properly

another place is boulderfallcaveexterior01 you have to look up, and found a tree, the dead khajiit is at the tree with a chest(or using detect dead spell to found her), base on my test, she disappeared

Okay, I just tested for both locations and everything loads up fine. If I could test the first site you mentioned, I would solidly confirm that it's not necessarily HDTPE's fault.

Do you have any other mods that alter Khajiits? If so, I will suggest you deactivate each one by one and test. It could be one of those mods, maybe any mods that adjust race scale. Something is clashing with the HDTPE system and I can only guess that it's either the mesh .nif files or the skeleton--those are the two things HDTPE touches (primarily only the skeleton), that could affect the game.

If you've tried all that and the glitch still doesn't go away, I will suggest testing the skeleton yet again, but this time installing an older BBP-compatible skeleton (you can still test with the blank .xml if you like).

Okay, I just tested for both locations and everything loads up fine. If I could test the first site you mentioned, I would solidly confirm that it's not necessarily HDTPE's fault.

Do you have any other mods that alter Khajiits? If so, I will suggest you deactivate each one by one and test. It could be one of those mods, maybe any mods that adjust race scale. Something is clashing with the HDTPE system and I can only guess that it's either the mesh .nif files or the skeleton--those are the two things HDTPE touches (primarily only the skeleton), that could affect the game.

If you've tried all that and the glitch still doesn't go away, I will suggest testing the skeleton yet again, but this time installing an older BBP-compatible skeleton (you can still test with the blank .xml if you like).

I think you are using a save that already loaded the cell before, loading a save with deadbody already saved will not bug, but going into a cell that is never loaded will.

I deleted all my mods, and re-install only the HDT physics and xpms skeleton, and restart a new game.

The bug still occur.

I also told some of my friends to do the save and same thing happened to them.

I deleted skeletonbeast_female.nif from my meshes folder(which make me use the vanilla skeleton and bug still occur.  

I think you are using a save that already loaded the cell before, loading a save with deadbody already saved will not bug, but going into a cell that is never loaded will.

Actually, I've never discovered boulderfallcaveexterior01with my character before, so that had to load up on the map when the character arrived there(though it's possible that the entire cell itself could have loaded prior). And yes, FalkreathWatchtowerexterior and poipineforest23b, had already been visited.

I deleted all my mods, and re-install only the HDT physics and xpms skeleton, and restart a new game.

The bug still occur.

I deleted skeletonbeast_female.nif from my meshes folder(which make me use the vanilla skeleton and bug still occur.  

That is very, very strange.

What mod manager are you using, or do you install your mods manually? Are you using any ENBs or anything that can alter the time/render settings of your game? What if you tried using the blank .xml and only vanilla skeletons, no XPMS(E)?

Let me know of your results (I'm trying to weigh the variables so we can pinpoint the issue). If worse comes to worst, it may just be a quirk in the HDTPE plugin itself for new games...

If I have time and my game doesn't crash with the mods I have at current, I'll try to test with a new game.

Actually, I've never discovered boulderfallcaveexterior01with my character before, so that had to load up on the map when the character arrived there(though it's possible that the entire cell itself could have loaded prior). And yes, FalkreathWatchtowerexterior and poipineforest23b, had already been visited.

The bug still occur.

That is very, very strange.

What mod manager are you using, or do you install your mods manually? Are you using any ENBs or anything that can alter the time/render settings of your game? What if you tried using the blank .xml and only vanilla skeletons, no XPMS(E)?

Let me know of your results (I'm trying to weigh the variables so we can pinpoint the issue). If worse comes to worst, it may just be a quirk in the HDTPE plugin itself for new games...

If I have time and my game doesn't crash with the mods I have at current, I'll try to test with a new game.

Once again I appreciate your help

I tried what you said, only installing HDT and nothing else, and the bug still occur.

I tried what you said, only installing HDT and nothing else, and the bug still occur.

Okay, I tried a new game with most of my mods turned off and after the intro sequence, I teleported my character around to all three places and found the Kahjiits--none of them disappeared. with HDTPE active... It's odd that I cannot recreate the problem.

For now, I will conclude that it is a quirk of the HDTPE plugin...

By the way, do you have a 64-bit or a 32-bit operating system? This might be an unrelated question, but just for the sake of the experiment...

Okay, I tried a new game with most of my mods turned off and after the intro sequence, I teleported my character around to all three places and found the Kahjiits--none of them disappeared. with HDTPE active... It's odd that I cannot recreate the problem.

For now, I will conclude that it is a quirk of the HDTPE plugin...

By the way, do you have a 64-bit or a 32-bit operating system? This might be an unrelated question, but just for the sake of the experiment...

That is odd....all my friends had recreated the problem...

hmm..

I am using a 64 bit system

also,do you have to change any ini file before/after install HDT?

hmm..

I also have a 64-bit system, so I guess it's not an error dealing with that...

I don't think I've changed anything with the .ini file at all, everything is at default.

[Simulator]
numThreads = 0
solverBufferSizeInKBs = 4096
solverTau = 0.8
solverDamp = 0.8
solverIterations = 8
solverMicrosteps = 1
enableDeactivation = false

But if you want to change things around and see if it fixes you issues, I would say to give it a try. And again, just backup your old files in case you need them again.

Not sure if you know where any dead Argonians can be found, but see if it affects them as well. I don't know of I asked before, but what mod organizer are you using? I would triple check how  you are installing your mods (for me, I just manually install HDTPE since it's only a few files to put in one place).

hmm..

I also have a 64-bit system, so I guess it's not an error dealing with that...

I don't think I've changed anything with the .ini file at all, everything is at default.

[Simulator]
numThreads = 0
solverBufferSizeInKBs = 4096
solverTau = 0.8
solverDamp = 0.8
solverIterations = 8
solverMicrosteps = 1
enableDeactivation = false

But if you want to change things around and see if it fixes you issues, I would say to give it a try. And again, just backup your old files in case you need them again.

Not sure if you know where any dead Argonians can be found, but see if it affects them as well. I don't know of I asked before, but what mod organizer are you using? I would triple check how  you are installing your mods (for me, I just manually install HDTPE since it's only a few files to put in one place).

I install them manually, same as you.

POINorthernCoast08, there is a dead argonian killed by 2 snow saber cats

and the weird thing is, that is a male argonian, and the bug still apply.

The bug does not seems to occur in all dead khajiit/argonian bodies though..there is also one in DarkShade01 and it is appearing as normal(although was a bit off of the normal spawning location.)

another werid thing:

I tried to use creation kit to test the problem, I added one dead khajiit into the POIpineforest23b cell, and that khajiit did not showed up, but instead, one of the previous disappearing khajiit showed up,all other khajiits in that cell(4 khajiits in the vanilla cell and one in here) still does not show.

I also put a dead one in riverwood and no bug occured, that one showed up fine.

The bug does not seems to occur in all dead khajiit/argonian bodies though..there is also one in DarkShade01 and it is appearing as normal(although was a bit off of the normal spawning location.)

another werid thing:

I tried to use creation kit to test the problem, I added one dead khajiit into the POIpineforest23b cell, and that khajiit did not showed up, but instead, one of the previous disappearing khajiit showed up,all other khajiits in that cell(4 khajiits in the vanilla cell and one in here) still does not show.

This is one strange bug...

I just tested the areas you noted, and like before, I still can't recreate your bugs.

Well, let's start from the beginning then--try to reinstall SKSE and make sure it is the latest version (it shouldn't matter if HDTPE is already installed or not--but make sure that that is also the latest version too). Let me know if this works.

You are not using any ragdoll mods, right (like Realistic Ragdolls, etc.)?

And just for a random test, go to my HDT Dragon Tails mod page and just download and install the replacer for Khajiits and Argonians under "Alternate Downloads". Maybe you'll have better luck with meshes that explicitly inject the HDTPE functionality.

Let me know if any of these options work or you continue to get the same bug.

another werid thing:

This is one strange bug...

I just tested the areas you noted, and like before, I still can't recreate your bugs.

Well, let's start from the beginning then--try to reinstall SKSE and make sure it is the latest version (it shouldn't matter if HDTPE is already installed or not--but make sure that that is also the latest version too). Let me know if this works.

You are not using any ragdoll mods, right (like Realistic Ragdolls, etc.)?

And just for a random test, go to my HDT Dragon Tails mod page and just download and install the replacer for Khajiits and Argonians under "Alternate Downloads". Maybe you'll have better luck with meshes that explicitly inject the HDTPE functionality.

Let me know if any of these options work or you continue to get the same bug.

Your replacer DO fix the problem for Khajiit and Argonian disappearing! however, the new tail seems lost its collision and sometimes just "bounce off" like crazy.

But at least we know it has something do to with the vanilla tails. That is progress.

Did you try to recreate my bug with your replacer on?

=========================

The reason that I am so frustrated with that bug is that I am making(and had made) mods using Elin Race NPCs, and Elin race have tails.I get some bug report from my users and I don't want it to be incompatible with HDT physics. So do you have any idea how to make HDT not conflict with non-hdt tails? or could you teach me how to put HDT on a tail?

Thank you so much for help me.

Your replacer DO fix the problem for Khajiit and Argonian disappearing! however, the new tail seems lost its collision and sometimes just "bounce off" like crazy.

But at least we know it has something do to with the vanilla tails. That is progress.

The reason that I am so frustrated with that bug is that I am making(and had made) mods using Elin Race NPCs, and Elin race have tails.I get some bug report from my users and I don't want it to be incompatible with HDT physics. So do you have any idea how to make HDT not conflict with non-hdt tails? or could you teach me how to put HDT on a tail?

Awesome, I'm glad you found a fix. I am aware the physics for the tails I made won't work well for everyone's setup, but it's good to know something works. The tails' .xmls shouldn't have any collision data, so it's probably going crazy for a number of reasons (ENB and/or vsync, highly populated area, timescale, hardware, etc.

Yes, during my tests, the tails were not defaulted back to vanilla (which was why I suggested testing them out after realizing that). I just did another test with vanilla tails and I found at least one of the dead NPCs went missing. I didn't get to thoroughly test it, but I'm convinced enough that it is a quirk in HDTPE that's doing that to the game for any NPC with a beast skeleton.

What you can do is follow this tutorial and link your tails up with a blank .xml file (you can just use my .xml and rename and relocate it anywhere you like--just make sure whatever you put in as the file path matches so the HDTPE log doesn't spam errors (the file path should look something like "Data\...\name.xml"). Hopefully this will help with your issue.

Hope this helps!

Awesome, I'm glad you found a fix. I am aware the physics for the tails I made won't work well for everyone's setup, but it's good to know something works. The tails' .xmls shouldn't have any collision data, so it's probably going crazy for a number of reasons (ENB and/or vsync, highly populated area, timescale, hardware, etc.

Yes, during my tests, the tails were not defaulted back to vanilla (which was why I suggested testing them out after realizing that). I just did another test with vanilla tails and I found at least one of the dead NPCs went missing. I didn't get to thoroughly test it, but I'm convinced enough that it is a quirk in HDTPE that's doing that to the game for any NPC with a beast skeleton.

What you can do is follow this tutorial and link your tails up with a blank .xml file (you can just use my .xml and rename and relocate it anywhere you like--just make sure whatever you put in as the file path matches so the HDTPE log doesn't spam errors (the file path should look something like "Data\...\name.xml"). Hopefully this will help with your issue.

Hope this helps!

hmm... I tried to add xml file to Elin tails and I did not fix it by just that...either I did something wrong or you did something more than just take vanilla tail and put a xml into it...

your HDT tail looks very different in nifskope than the vanilla tail...

• 2 weeks later...

Damn...

I reported this same thing a Year ago,  back when HDT first came out, but o course it was lost in da hoopla and newness of hdt.

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/19451-old-hdt-support-thread/page-41?do=findComment&comment=555772

I was really hoping it was fix'd. In fact I had assumed it was. because it is a bit of a big issue. Was very immersion breaking but beyond tha, it caused crashes & hanging. da khajiit at Steamcrag would fly in like a whirlwind demon. I found that the only way I could remedy this was to basiucally go all over the skyrim map, loading in npc, then install hdt. But that was not a real fix so i finally uninstalled and stopped using hdt. PLEASE help with this issue

hmm... I tried to add xml file to Elin tails and I did not fix it by just that...either I did something wrong or you did something more than just take vanilla tail and put a xml into it...

your HDT tail looks very different in nifskope than the vanilla tail...

Yes, my mod's tail utilizes it's own bone chain for the animation, so it leaves the vanilla tail bones untouched. I will assume the vanilla tail bone chain, while it gives a more stable animation, it may still be prone to the bug since because the mesh it tied to the vanilla bones, the bones are tied to the behavior file ("BGED" i think the branch is called), which ends up creating the bug. I have heard dying horses also disappearing with HDTPE, and I can also assume that to be a tail issue too.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn...

I reported this same thing a Year ago,  back when HDT first came out, but o course it was lost in da hoopla and newness of hdt.

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/19451-old-hdt-support-thread/page-41?do=findComment&comment=555772

I was really hoping it was fix'd. In fact I had assumed it was. because it is a bit of a big issue. Was very immersion breaking but beyond tha, it caused crashes & hanging. da khajiit at Steamcrag would fly in like a whirlwind demon. I found that the only way I could remedy this was to basiucally go all over the skyrim map, loading in npc, then install hdt. But that was not a real fix so i finally uninstalled and stopped using hdt. PLEASE help with this issue

So, is there nothing that can be done. Even wit newest hdt files, i check and dead bodys still do not spawn

• 3 weeks later...

glad i found this! same issues w/ me. i didn't even realize it was just npcs w/ tails. but my testing did show pretty much the same results, at the same places. and i agree; if a cell is loaded before, with no HDT, then the body will load correctly and remain even after u install hdt.

so this is a problem w/the basics of hdt and has been since it came out?! that's worrisome. it's nice to know that HDT Tails can help w/ this but i'm not sure that's an ideal fix. i'm fine w/ vanilla tail anims, but moreover i'd rather not add more hdt to my game (that i don't find necessary) because the more hdt...the more performance hit. i stopped using HDT Weapon Slings for everyone and just give them to followers, because it's better for performance. same w/ clothes. in fact, i used HDT Tails before a few months back and stopped because i could tell a perf hit and i'm ok w/ vanilla tails.

so is there anyone still actively working on  the core of HDT that we could report this "tail" issue too?

Im not sure how to phrase this but i wil try my best.

There's not much to work with here but i'm going to go on a limb and ask all of you about your system's performance/spec's.

HDT is a confusing and messy things and the simplest thing can cause issues. 

CPU speed and GPU speed could be the issue here.

could you all post your:

CPU model

GPU model

RAM speed

laptop/desktop

OS

I't could be as simple as fluctuating FPS causing miscalculations on HDT causing spazing which can lead to body's stretching beyond skyrims loading range so they disapear, i think this is also linked to the "fading" of HDT affected actors near doorway's.

But that's just a theory a HDT theory Thanks for reading

Armors/Meshes in general which are using bones which are not in their skeleton, go all invisible once the actor is dead. HDT PE injects nodes which are in the meshes skeleton but not in the actors one, into the actors one, these are present as long as the actor is alive. As soon as the actor is dead the the armor turn invisible because the needed nodes aren't there anymore.

Stuff to prevent this:

Skeleton templates of NiOverride (best solution)

Adding the new nodes to the actors skeleton (which will result into a chaos)

Im not sure how to phrase this but i wil try my best.

There's not much to work with here but i'm going to go on a limb and ask all of you about your system's performance/spec's.

HDT is a confusing and messy things and the simplest thing can cause issues. 

CPU speed and GPU speed could be the issue here.

could you all post your:

CPU model

GPU model

RAM speed

laptop/desktop

OS

I't could be as simple as fluctuating FPS causing miscalculations on HDT causing spazing which can lead to body's stretching beyond skyrims loading range so they disapear, i think this is also linked to the "fading" of HDT affected actors near doorway's.

But that's just a theory a HDT theory Thanks for reading

thanks but don't think hardware has anything to do w/ it as i've had a few friends test it and they're getting same results;...w/ HDT active, and just vanilla tails (not hdt tail mod like Jacques00 suggests), then most if not all scripted dead npcs with tails, will not spawn or spawn in crazy ways (in the sky, a mass of squiggly tendrils, fly thru landscape).

Groove, i have no idea what that is or how to do it, but if it'd help with this issue, it'd be great to have.

i used a mod awhile back that changed most dead npc spawns into zombie meshes and textures so that the corpses would look like they'd been dead for awhile instead of all looking "fresh". i wonder if a mod like that could be made to help w/ this hdt dead tail issue? a mod that would make just those dead npc with tails use HDT Tails, so they would spawn correctly

Archived