R9 290 crashing?

Stella Fleuret

SO, my brand shiny new Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 graphics card came Wednesday.

And ever since then, my computer will randomly crash 1-2 times a day. It starts with a small freeze with a very obnoxious high pitch monotonous noise being played, then it goes to a blackscreen and REBOOTS ITSELF. I've had these crashes occur anytime from doing something graphically intensive, (Like playing Battlefield 4) to doing something very small, like watching a YouTube video. The card performs perfectly normal! (Based on watching benchmark youtube videos and whatnot) The RMA process sounds really stressful, so I would really rather avoid that and try to fix this on my own.

ALSO!! I know it's not a temperature issue. I've been monitoring its temperatures in and out of gaming and they're very, very good.

My specs are

PSU: Corsair CX600w

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-78LMT USB3

CPU: AMD fx 6300 (Stock)

CPU FAN: CoolerMaster Hyper EVO 212

RAM: 4GB Kingston 1600

HDD: WD 1tb 7200rpm (Or whatever)

And I'm running Windows 7 64bit Pro.

And of course, my R9 290 (Stock speed as well)

Please no comments on how it's a stupid unbalanced build. I know. I'm slowly upgrading.

I'm *Pretty* sure it's a driver issue. But I'm not 100% sure on this.

I've done many things to try to fix this. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the latest drivers off AMD's site SEVERAL times (Uninstalling drivers manually and with DDU) And had no better results. I've checked Windows Event Logs and found these six error logs I've noticed around the time my computer crashes. But the peer name resolution ones happen ALL the time it seems.

The AODDriver4.3 service failed to start due to the following error: 
The system cannot find the file specified.

The CrazyRemoteServer service failed to start due to the following error: 
The system cannot find the file specified.

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: 
qknfd
RzFilter

The Peer Name Resolution Protocol cloud did not start because the creation of the default identity failed with error code: 0x80630801.

The Peer Name Resolution protocol service terminated with the following error: %%-2140993535

The Peer Networking Grouping service depends on the Peer Name Resolution Protocol service which failed to start because of the following error: 
%%-2140993535

Please help!

You uninstalled w/e your old gfx card's drivers were before installing this one right?

290s can run hot, does the case have enough cooling? What's it idling at? That can shut the thing down.

As for the error maybe some media type thing got corrupted or some install log got erased. Googling the error should help.

You uninstalled w/e your old gfx card's drivers were before installing this one right?

290s can run hot, does the case have enough cooling? What's it idling at? That can shut the thing down.

Yes I have uninstalled my previous drivers before installing new ones. (As I said, uninstalling manually and using DDU to make sure I got every single thing)

Heat MIGHT be the cause. I have a pretty cheapo case.

It typically ides around 47c-(on rare occasion)79c

Reference card or custom made card?

Heat on custom cards should be no problem most have very good soluttions with cooling myself i got MSI custom card.

If its reference card and its one those first batches that came back then it have this error with black screen.

If its justr reference card its getting 95 CELSIUS HOT so you ABSOLUTELY NEED A GOOD COOLER  for your GPU or you keep getting crashes nomatter what you do.

Get at least Afterburner abd GPU-Z so you can monitor temps and can set your fan to 100% if needed(better not use catalyst for this)

If its custom card get latest driver but uninstall it with Driver uninstaller from GURU3D its best uninstaller DDU for both cards AMD or Nvidia.

You have to uninstall the driver in SAFEMODE it completely remove everything from the driver AMD RELATED.

Reference card or custom made card?

Get at least Afterburner abd GPU-Z so you can monitor temps and can set your fan to 100% if needed(better not use catalyst for this)

If its custom card get latest driver but uninstall it with Driver uninstaller from GURU3D its best uninstaller DDU for both cards AMD or Nvidia.

It's a non reference.

I have both programs. And yes I used DDU to uninstall my drivers multiple times. :P

ok  :D What error gave on the last crash ?

All of the ones I listed.

Do this:

Method 1:

Disable automatic restart on system failure:

a.     Restart the computer and press and hold F8 key (Press and hold f8 key before the windows logo).

b.     From the advanced boot option select “Disable automatic restart on system failure”

Crashing and blackscreen can also be your PSU dunno if its old one but PSU is very importend specially with a videcard like you have it uses in load a lot of jouice.

A small case need good airflow or can also crash your system with this card.

Well good luck hope you can solve it card is very good one you can run all on max easly.

What driver version you use ?

The AMD Catalyst 14.7 RC3 BETA is very stable running it for 2 weeks now.

Yes I am using 14.7

Do this:

Method 1:

a.     Restart the computer and press and hold F8 key (Press and hold f8 key before the windows logo).

b.     From the advanced boot option select “Disable automatic restart on system failure”

Thanks, I just did it and *hopefully* it will stop it. Unfortunately there's no pattern to my computer crashing so I can see if that resolved it.

Wanted to avoid the PSU, since my first PSU of my computer "died" the same way. While playing a game or even watching a video on youtube, computer restarted randomly.

One of the voltage values, + 5 V i guess, was too low and not giving enough juice to the computer :)

Gigabyte customer service is pretty much a hit or miss, but i would avoid it if i was you. I recently brought a r9 280 from them and i had to rma newegg for it. Turns it the second one was defective also, from what I've read gigabyte is having a lot of problems with their new cards.

1. What others above me have said, try installing the 14.7 beta drivers

2. Try updating the bios, i'm pretty sure you can just download the gigabyte utlity and update it easily through there, here's a link, or look in the manual
   http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4884#ov

3. A new psu, you are using the bare minimum 600W, AMD products do suck up a lot of power

4. If you brought it from newegg, just rma it, they will refund you, but it is $15 for shipping but the it's free if you just sign up for a free 30 day premier trial and cancel it later

5. RMA to Gigabyte you still have a 3 year warranty, but you do have to pay for the shipping 

Do this:

Method 1:

This ended up solving all my problems. Thank you so much!

Archived