hardware and health, or mouse and carpal tunnel

I spend a lot of hours playing skyrim, and it is taking a toll on my body. My right arm and shoulder are in constant pain from clicking a mouse. I'm sure I cannot be the only one with this issue. My question is: is there a better hardware solution than keyboard and mouse? Can you configure a joystick or other gizmo to play Skyrim, and is it more human skeleton friendly? Modders have given us all kinds of flexible skeletons for player characters (breast physics, butt physics, hair physics etc. etc.), but I need one for my real life self!

If the pain is from long duration of playing then it's mostly age.  The solution is stretching exercise, better ergo chair and mouse.  Stretching exercises warm and loosen up the muscle and proper ergo chair help with the spine which is why you are having shoulder pain.  Ergo mouse and pad help with wrist.  Switching to controller might help but will not if you have poor sitting posture.

If the pain is constant when even not playing and you do proper and regular stretching exercises then it's probably a good idea to see a doctor.

Yes as the above user stated. Take regular breaks. The break times depend on your stamina and ability to sit for long time. If you are having problems with say 4 hours of playing non stop. Stop at 2 hours and get up and do something stretch, Get some hydration ( water juice etc.) for about 15 minutes. Something that takes you away from the computer and that position. Then go back. If it is less time say two hours cut it down to one hour and perhaps even set an timer or alarm. If it is constant or for less time it might be a time to see a doctor.

There are ergonomic mouse, Keyboards and other techniques to help repetitive stress injuries such as what you are experiencing. However many individuals problems are that they aren't sitting properly at their computer with the keyboard and mouse properly position and used properly. Most lay their hands and wrists on the desk top bending the wrist into unnatural positions which in time do damage. If curious a simple Google search can give you a wealth of ideas on proper use of the Keyboard/mouse as well.

The game will still be there when you come back...;)

According to experts you aren't supposed to do anything for more than 30 minutes without taking a short 5 minute break.

While that sounds like sage advice....when I am 30 minutes in on a 35 minute shit session.....I ain't planning on pinching it off for no "expert".   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Likewise when I still have money for a table dance in my pocket......well.....those experts just are going to have to make an exception.   ;)

Guest Mogie56

In any event see a doctor, it could very well "be" or be the "beginning" of a rotor cup problem. not being able to sleep on your right side because of shoulder pain or not being able to lift your arm much beyond straight out in front of you, if none of these are present a trip to the doctor is still a good idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the good advice! Yesterday I did something adventurous and bought an xbox controller for windows. It has provided immediate relief by working different parts of my hand and arm.  It is a bit of a learning curve, since I have not used this controller before, and some aspects of the game (map and items) are more awkward, but other aspects (combat and lockpicking are much more immersive). It also has a couple of other plusses:

1)  I seem to get fewer ctds for some reason. Maybe just a fluke.

2) The graphics seem better. I can zoom in close without getting distortion. This is great for sexlab!

Best of all,

3) The vibrator feature (a novelty for me) adds so much to combat and has huge potential for sexlab. I am surprised no one has mentioned this before. Am I the only person who plays skyrim with xbox controller? I think it just might revolutionize my game. But it is a learning curve.

Instead of the full-size gaming keyboards, I use a smaller 84-key kit that allows me to angle the board 30 degrees for comfortable arrow shooting (and a few FPS).

3) The vibrator feature (a novelty for me) adds so much to combat and has huge potential for sexlab. I am surprised no one has mentioned this before. Am I the only person who plays skyrim with xbox controller? I think it just might revolutionize my game. But it is a learning curve.

Given that most controllers now also have vibration motors, and that there's an H-game that makes use of a USB-pluggable vibrator/onahole for simulated action, I think it's a great idea for SL users.

I spend a lot of hours playing skyrim, and it is taking a toll on my body. My right arm and shoulder are in constant pain from clicking a mouse. I'm sure I cannot be the only one with this issue. My question is: is there a better hardware solution than keyboard and mouse? Can you configure a joystick or other gizmo to play Skyrim, and is it more human skeleton friendly? Modders have given us all kinds of flexible skeletons for player characters (breast physics, butt physics, hair physics etc. etc.), but I need one for my real life self!

I get something similar although for me its my left shoulder that aches from sitting at an angle in my chair while playing.

Keep meaning to go buy a new chair as I've had this one for ages but then i find something better to do with my time (...like playing skyrim)

I *HAD* this exact same issue.  Years of DAOC, EQ2, WoW, Diablo, etc.  My arms and wrists were in pretty bad shape for a 28 year old guy.  I even had a job with AT&T doing tech support for a few years, followed by server support and then general IT support.  My life from the age of 16 has revolved around keyboards and mice.  My wrists were the first to start sending shooting pains up my arms, then it was shortly followed by shoulders and upper back, then my neck.  I have since solved this issue with unconventional means.  Due to some really shitty luck in my life, I've had to move back home and stay with my dad.  My dad is pretty anti-technology, so I've been spending less time (than usual) at my computer and more time doing other things.  Like chopping down trees.  With an axe.  Because the chainsaw blade is in need of repair...the same chainsaw that I bought him a few years ago.

TL;DR - Exercise.  Not only have I chopped down a few trees with an axe (that lets me punch a couple holes in my Man Card), but I've also buffed up quite a bit.  I suppose a side benefit is the non-existent pain in my arms that I used to have due to sitting on my ass all the time.  Granted, I still play games, just not as much as I used to.

Archived