The skeleton.nif in LAPF 1.5 makes weapons floating in the air after NPC be killed

elzee

What is your load order it might be being caused by something that is conflicting with the LAPF skeleton/LAPF. Also have you tried re-installing LAPF to make sure something didn't overwrite it. http://www.loverslab.com/topic/12494-mods-that-are-not-compatible-with-lovers/ Here is a list of the known mods that conflict with LAPF.

I think it's just no matter with game logic(esp) load order.

The problem is caused by skeleton.nif in LAPF.

Well, that problem came with growlf 's universal skeleton. So, no wonder that LL skeleton has the same issue because LL skeleton was made by adding a couple of branches and such things to the universal skeleton.

So, you decide, you stick with LL skeleton and you get floating weapons. Or you go back to maximum compatibility skeleton and you lose LAPF.

No the problem is NOT caused by the LAPF skeleton.  Hell, it isn't even caused by Growlf's.  This problem happens with the vanilla skeleton.  It is a coding issue more or less, within the oblivion game files.  Just something you will have to learn to live with.

No the problem is NOT caused by the LAPF skeleton.  Hell, it isn't even caused by Growlf's.  This problem happens with the vanilla skeleton.  It is a coding issue more or less, within the oblivion game files.  Just something you will have to learn to live with.

Oh, is there any way to solve it?

If no way, maybe I could make a mod to hide equiped weapons on corps automatically.

IIRC, it's actually a Havok issue - or at least, an issue with the way Havok is implemented for killed NPCs.

It *may* be possible to fix it with a script that watches for NPCs being killed, identifies their weapon, then removes it and adds it again once they are dead. But this may run into the (possibly related) issue of weapons added to corpses disappearing from their inventory even though they are visible on the corpse.

it might be a script issue       as the weapon is equipped in the inventury    it might be a probleme there .

maybe because the weapon bone does not follow correctly  the dead body  and is stuck  in a bad zero position.

IIRC, it's actually a Havok issue - or at least, an issue with the way Havok is implemented for killed NPCs.

This is what I have heard from many different sources.  There is something broken in the way havok was implemented into the hard code of the game that makes this impossible to fix.  Not saying it "IS" impossible to fix, just that it has been stated as such by many, many, many different sources.  The fact that in all the years since Oblivion's release that it still is not been fixed may in fact make this true......either that or the genius that will fix it just has not yet done so.   :P

I don't think it is the Skeleton, it happens with all Skeletons ( original and Mod  Skeletons )

And it doesn't happens always,  mostly weapons fall to the ground properly  and roll or slide down hills.  In my game about 80 percent correct.

Like gregathit said it is a game engine Problem.

But if you can create a skeleton that can outwit the game engine all players would be grateful.

I don't think it is the Skeleton, it happens with all Skeletons ( original and Mod  Skeletons )

And it doesn't happens always,  mostly weapons fall to the ground properly  and roll or slide down hills.  In my game about 80 percent correct.

Like gregathit said it is a game engine Problem.

But if you can create a skeleton that can outwit the game engine all players would be grateful.

But when I use the skeleton in Vipcxj's Real Highheel mod. The issue never appears.

Duh.. whatever is causing this crap, I'd be grateful if you come up with a fix.

I'm all talking but.. perhaps simply unequipping every weapon on every actor death triggered by OBSE event handler might work. Just make sure that the actor is not playing any attack animation at the time.

I think it is the animation itself. when i make animations i tend to hide part of the skeleton i don't want to mess with. with oblivion that is:

Camera, magic node weapon slot etc.. so i don't accidentally animate that part of the bones. but by doing this when exporting the animation the offset for these bone nodes are missing so that is probably what you are seeing when a weapon is falling on the floor instead of being correctly angled at the back of the npc.

When using LAPF it is better to just use the option to undress weapon too so you won't see that part.

I think it is the animation itself. when i make animations i tend to hide part of the skeleton i don't want to mess with. with oblivion that is:

Camera, magic node weapon slot etc.. so i don't accidentally animate that part of the bones. but by doing this when exporting the animation the offset for these bone nodes are missing so that is probably what you are seeing when a weapon is falling on the floor instead of being correctly angled at the back of the npc.

When using LAPF it is better to just use the option to undress weapon too so you won't see that part.

The weapon only float when actor is in weapon out state and put in ragdoll state.

See my mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/45367/?

• 5 months later...

I finally updated to LAPF today, and can confirm that something in LAPF is indeed causing this.

Yes, the floating weapon bug is an ages-old annoyance, and a real immersion killer. I have been using coronerras maximum compatibility skeleton, which does not have this issue. LAPF overwrites coronerras, but what skeleton does it replace it with? Can I revert back to coronerras, or will that foul the entire LAPF install?

Archived