And Thor is a GIRL!

Duoleb The Chosen

Since no one posted about that!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54067

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54083

portrait-uncanny-eb9ca.jpg

Our classic Thor once again will become unworthy of wielding Mjolnir, thus he will lose his Left arm(and replace him with the Arm of the Destroyer), and become the amalgam of Young and Old King Thor, in a Heroic Journey to become worthy again, Meanwhile he decided to pass the mantle, the name and Title to someone who once again will show him how to be and remind him of being Worthy of using the hammer and the title

And, the female Thor Concept is awesome(i hope that someone ports this thing to Skyrim, including the helmet with hair)

Thor-Design-a0126.jpg

Anyway here's the most accepted explanation about that

The problem is, it's a stunt and will be written as a stunt. Not that I don't have faith in Jason Aaron (he's already established Thor as one of the best titles Marvel is putting out), or that I disagree with Marvel trying to create more female heros. But let's consider Thor's history.

Why does Mjolner's enchantment state, "whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall posses the power of Thor"? It's not because Odin wanted random mortals (however worthy) to stumble upon incredible power. It's because he wanted his son to become worthy. The hammer was always meant to be wielded by Thor; if anyone else can pick it up, that's just an unfortunate side-effect of the enchantment. This is obvious in the old Simonson comics: when Beta Ray Bill manages to pick up Thor's hammer, Odin is astonished, and admits he never expected it to happen. And at the end of that storyarc, he makes sure Thor get's back his hammer.

To summarize: The hammer was never meant to be given to anyone who was worthy. It was meant to remind Thor to always be worthy.

So: In this storyarc, Thor somehow becomes unworthy of wielding Mjolner. Someone else (my bet is on Jane Foster, although Thor's granddaughter is also a possibility) finds the hammer, and becomes the new Thor! And what happens to Thor?

Well, to be true to the history of the character, Thor is going to have to go on some sort of hero's journey in which he eventually becomes worthy again, and can return to claim Mjolner once more. (The last Avengers issue gave us some bullshit glimpse into the future which suggested Thor still won't be worthy 400 years in the future, but that won't happen. Marvel mucks around with its future all the time, and at best what we saw in Avengers was a possible future which Thor will manage to avoid) It has to happen that way, because that is the purpose of Mjolner's enchantment.

Where will that leave our new Thor? Well, we will perhaps get a year or two of enjoyable stories out of her. After that, the son of Odin will return, the female Thor will be cast aside, and we will all realize that this supposedly progressive female Thor served no purpose except as a foil for the "true" male hero. Best case scenario, Odin will forge her another Mjolner (as he did Beta Ray Bill), and she will exist as a minor side character to the Marvel universe.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps she will really be the one true Thor for four hundred years. But Marvel has no problems lying or exaggerating temporary character changes (they said Peter Parker would be dead forever, but that didn't last more than two years). And Superior Spider-Man, the last major hero-replacement, proceeded exactly as I described: two years of enjoyable stories, then the realization that Doctor Octopus is only Spider-Man so that people will cheer when Peter Parker takes his place.

So I guess I don't necessarily think it's bad so much as meaningless, because it's not going to last. Everything Marvel has ever done points to this ending inside of two years.

Is this like when Miles Morales became spider man? Now I want my asian iron man/hulk dammit. Where's our pandering?

Or better yet, an asian captain america.

NOPE!

Avengers35-0efde.jpg

From Left to right

Havok the All New Inhuman Iron Man

Thor with the Jambjorn Godkiller Axe and the Destroyer's Left Arm

The Falcon Captain America(he looks like Sam Wilson)

Steve Rogers

The Hulk(now sane and intelligent like banner)

Escapist Magazine has done some stories on this.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136210-BREAKING-Sam-Wilson-Formerly-The-Falcon-is-Marvels-New-Captain-America

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escapist-news-now/9561-New-More-Diverse-Avengers-Now-Revealed

Sooo... Muslim Ms Marvel, Thorette and now Captain African-America. I need popcorn! Although I suspect Jack Kirby's death and a greedy family may be the root cause of this upheaval.

Lol who cares? Are comics even made for kids anymore?

Those kids grew up. Just like the kids that played video games.

That's the point, if people buy it it's their own fault, that or they do enjoy female Thor and pc black sexually confused spider-man.

saying that comics are for kids its like saying that a 9 years old kid would read The Preacher

You don't have to justify your habits to me mate.

I know Marvel are only losely connected to the norse mythology with Thor and co but the bit i don't get is if they wanted a female character why didn't they just leave thor as a man and introduce one of the female gods from norse mythology (i.e freyja)

But we trust Marvel to handle our treasured characters, right guys?

Right?

Like Warner, There's no Marvel Comics or DC anymore, its just Disney and Warner Bros. Bickering with each other for more money.

Even Warner/DC's Large Cunt ATM is going for the Smallville logic to get more readers and viewers

Disney is doing the same with marvel, but this time is to cripple only Fox, in 2015 anything related to X-men or The Fantasic Four will be Erased from history

I know Marvel are only losely connected to the norse mythology with Thor and co but the bit i don't get is if they wanted a female character why didn't they just leave thor as a man and introduce one of the female gods from norse mythology (i.e freyja)

Thor is an established character with a fan base. You're not going to achieve the same sales with a spin-off that may even flop. They're obviously trying to broaden their demographics by reverse gendering Thor with a publicity grabbing headline. And they can rely on our conditioning for brand loyalty to continue to push sales.

Although I think I would be interested in how they will retcon all of this mess together. Thor is the guy's name but now there will be another Thor. Or is Thor just the identity you assume for being worthy of wielding Mjolnir?

Although I think I would be interested in how they will retcon all of this mess together. Thor is the guy's name but now there will be another Thor. Or is Thor just the identity you assume for being worthy of wielding Mjolnir?

As far as i get it Thor is now a title.

Dunno how The Artist Formerly Known As Thor is supposed to be called now.

so basically theres two Thor's now because its not a new Thor its a different Thor but her name is Thor. but Thor didn't get a sex change its just like.......Lost sister Thor?

sigh, they have to complicate things

oh and there is a new fantastic 4 film but its not based off as in the comics its completely new redone fantastic thor...wait what? 4!

so poor old Ben doesn't have to date a blind Asian girl to get some.......hes name is ben right.

so basically theres two Thor's now because its not a new Thor its a different Thor but her name is Thor. but Thor didn't get a sex change its just like.......Lost sister Thor?

Whoever has the Hammer is Thor. Basically the Hot Potato Game.

oh and there is a new fantastic 4 film but its not based off as in the comics its completely new redone fantastic thor...wait what? 4!

so poor old Ben doesn't have to date a blind Asian girl to get some.......hes name is ben right.

Yeah the cast is already known:

T8ULzOg.jpg

Sue Storms brother is now Black. Guess Mother Storm has some 'splainin to do.

Anyone remember the time Peter David got kicked off the Hulk?

Some twit on the board had decided the Hulk needed to be more like he remembered from the Lou Ferringo TV days. So they elbowed Peter David off the title, wheeled on John Bryne with a mindless smash-all-everything hulk and sat back, confident that the fanboys would buy anything, especially if My Byrne was doing words and pictures.

Hulk went from #3 in the monthly sales rankings to just shy of #100 in three months.

Of course, if JB had given the new Hulk boobs ... but then he was already doing She-Hulk so I guess that wouldn't have worked so well.

Honestly though, this sort of marketing led BS is half the reason I stopped buying Marvel in the first place.

John BRAYNE's run on she hulk its one of the most famous ones(losing only to the Alpha Flight), he was pissed back there because Jim "the NAzi" Shooter was screwing with everyone, including his love for the classic Marvel Way of making free stories

Jim Shooter was the Biggest Asshole in terms of comics or anything related to it

I'm all for empowered female roles (the main protagonist in my book is a 17 year old female military student given godlike powers).  What I don't like is they're just plot elements leading up to a what is predominately a male role.  As stated in the OP I have the bad feeling she'll simply be used as a, "keep the bed warm," protagonist that will inevitably be cast aside for the original Thor.  It's the reason my book will be very different than what seems to be traditional comic stories;

Dead is dead.  If a character dies it STAYS DEAD.  If a character falls it stays fallen.  There is no miraculous redemption or pseudo-science mystery on resurrection.  If I remove a character my intention is remove them...permanently.  Bringing an old element back is stale, unimaginative and anti-climatic.  Hopefully Marvel looks at this and thinks, "maybe we should give serious thought to making her permanent."  

Archived