Roleplayers - Help!

Myrrh

I started a new character. She's a Nord named Daenerys. I'm not looking to actually re-create the Game of Thrones character or anything, I just thought it was a pretty name and fitting of the Dragonborn.

My current and main character has no roleplay background or motives, I fast travel with her, don't eat or sleep, etc..

I'd like to take things slower with this one, make a history and roleplay her but I'm at a loss on what sounds "fun".

Maybe some roleplayers could help me out and toss some suggestions my way :) Here are a few pics of her for inspiration.

FC64A7C066F98C5DB5266D2601F7E34D4735F5BF

D657B2B19E3D28E949F61781E94F8D113C85FABF

With me it usually has helped to go not to riverwood from helgen keep, but to some area you haven't seen much of in your previous games, and trying there to become thane.

There you can start with smaller, not so worldchanging quests, wich will hopefully give you some idea about the direction you want to play your character.

Falkreath is a nice place for that. Lots of small quests and dungeons there.

Markarth is a possibility too.

Just leave the main quest be for a while.

With me it usually has helped to go not to riverwood from helgen keep' date=' but to some area you haven't seen much of in your previous games, and trying there to become thane.

There you can start with smaller, not so worldchanging quests, wich will hopefully give you some idea about the direction you want to play your character.

Falkreath is a nice place for that. Lots of small quests and dungeons there.

Markarth is a possibility too.

Just leave the main quest be for a while.

[/quote']

I was thinking of going up to Windhelm since the character is a Nord and trying to get involved with the Civil War, make it more personal for her. I just need to come up with a story for her.

The big question for a role player will be why she doesn't follow the main quest tightly through (if she doesn't). After all, there's a ton of implied urgency. Side quests don't make much sense unless you have to do them. Skipping Riverwood and White Run definitely helps. You don't get the fun of the Dragons as soon, but you also don't have to ask why you're farting around delivering alchemical ingredients when it's your destiny to defeat the Death Dragon.

I'm a big fan of Elder Strolls, an insanely funny blog by a player who decided to live as an NPC. :D

Being bitter and contrary helps explain why you don't get stuck in the main quest line or the civil war. Pop on over and see how racist the Nords are, get pissed at them, see how openly evil the Thalmor are and get pissed at the obviously broken Empire. Markarth actually makes a good place to role play; you can see the dark side and corruption of a Nord dominated city, there are a fair number of quests that are challenging but not impossible at low level, and you also get early reason to hold the empire in contempt. Plenty of excuses to try to stay uninvolved and just live your life.

On the other hand, if she's a true believer in Nord independence (and it's an easy case to make, as the Empire has sold the Nords to the Elves), maybe play through the entire civil war before she finds out she's the Dragonborn. That should put her around level 30 or so if you don't powergame, at which point she can finally trigger the main quest (if you feel like it). You could take carts without fast traveling while you're too low level to comfortably trek it.

That's really helpful, thank you! I did pay for the cart ride up to Windhelm, so I think I'm going to create a story of her being a "true Nord" daughter of Skyrim. Get her super involved in the Civil War and not discover her Dragonborn nature until the end of that.

Unfortunately - the following may contain mild spoilers for the main questline and the civil war questline -

You can't end the civil war. When you have to deliver ulfrics axe to the jarl of whiterun, to see where he stands, the jarl will not talk about the topic, but demand that you help with the main quest. He will send you to bleak falls barrow to get the dragonstone, and will not be willing to care about the civil war, until you killed the first dragon.

I tried that once, I wanted to end the civil war as imperial without random dragon attacks, but Jarl Balgruuf wouldn't let me.

True, that's a problem. On the other hand,

You're not asked to deliver the axe until you're deep into the Civil War plot. If your character is caught up in the war, she could decide not to waste time pursuing this "Dragon Born" question until the issue is decided. People put their personal lives on hold in a war, and as far as she knows being the Dragon Born might mean nothing. It's an honor to visit the Grey Beards, but people are dying for the cause right now.

Okay, but:

Hm. True, but you will still have dragon attacks. And if the civil war can seem really more pressing than attacks of flying, thuuming lizards the size of drunken huntsman, well...

I personally liked the idea of treating the civil war questline as the other "main" questline. It was pretty depressing, when the "real" main came nagging. :-/

I've never tried joining the civil war with an alternative start game, where the main quest is disabled. Wonder what happens then. Perhaps the civil war questline is broken. Have to try this once.

Archived