Loda is going down

hinugundam

Looks like more and more we will lose valid sites who can host mods. If this continues modding could be lost.. Since there is no way to upload now. After shyuploader went down we still had loda and wikijapan, looks like loda bites the dust too.

only wikijapan is now over. how said.

Even though i never really used loda much. It was still modding hosting site.

Looks like more and more we will lose valid sites who can host mods. If this continues modding could be lost.. Since there is no way to upload now.

How do you mean?

- mediafire

- yousendit

- filefactory

- (here @ LL)

- torrents

- usenet

Eventually all of these sites that blindly allow anyone to upload anything they like, for free, will be gone. It'll be pay to play, or you switch to one or both of the last two options.

There was file sharing long before those sites. Long before the web. These sites dying is.. an inconvenience.

To be honest, I'm surprised they've survived this long.

i was talking japanese modders uploading there mods too. These where sites many of them where uploading to. now those sites bites the dust, we do not know where they will be uploading next. Maybe many of them will no longer upload, that is also a possibility.

i was talking japanese modders uploading there mods too. These where sites many of them where uploading to. now those sites bites the dust' date=' we do not know where they will be uploading next. Maybe many of them will no longer upload, that is also a possibility.

[/quote']

I suspect they will adapt as well. They can certainly use torrents and usenet, the "final solutions." Torrent trackers may go down / be taken down, but they're easy to replace when that happens.

If we're honest with ourselves, the bigger reason these sites get shut down (or are afraid of being shut down) is because they're heavily used to distribute pirated games (and other copyright violating content). If they were just serving mods and other free stuff, they wouldn't have anything to worry about, as nexus and even LL have nothing to worry about.

My old gran used to say "always look veeerry carefully at someone who habitually makes appeals to honesty". ;)

I have used loda and shy a great deal and do not recall seeing very much distribution of pirated games, (zero in fact), or other copyrighted material at all.

Unless you count the "use of other people's models in screenshots without explicit permission" as copyright theft, which I think is very doubtful as only a tiny, insecure, minority of pseudo-creatives would complain.

(A pseudo-creative being defined as someone who claims IPR over work that is mostly derived from someone else's effort).

It would be a pity if Loda and Shy and others had bowed to that sort of pressure. More worrisome is that they complain of viral attacks. I never caught one, ('though my checker alerted me to a dodgy pic on shy once). Who would want to attack these sites? And their users? And why? I doubt very much that it had anything to do with anger at IPR violations.

There are many popular sites which cheerfully encourage free download of commercially released, genuinely original, material. But they are not down, nor do they show any inclination toward sepuku any time soon.

@Mouse I very rarely had a warning about viruses on either L or S attachments, (once, maybe twice). As it was the link that your system picked up I wonder if they were viral ads. If they were then I probably blocked them as routine before they loaded, so never got a warning.

Question still remains. Cui bono? And will they come here?

The worrying thing is that sites depend on trust. If a site gets a reputation as potentially harmful to visitors no one comes round.

@labrat The virus guard warning I get is on the sites that tend to have viruses. It doesn't come up often, but on Loda it did come up. Basically it works so that if I try to connect to site that has had lot of viruses, I get warning and have option to reconsider.

If we're honest with ourselves' date=' the bigger reason these sites get shut down (or are afraid of being shut down) is because they're heavily used to distribute pirated games (and other copyright violating content). If they were just serving mods and other free stuff, they wouldn't have anything to worry about, as nexus and even LL have nothing to worry about.

[/quote']

Loda shutted itself down because its a low profit site to start with, and it doesn't have the money to update the system according to the god forsaken ACTA demands.

Here's the link of the claim.

http://blog.loda.jp/2012/02/lodajp-331.html

If we're honest with ourselves' date=' the bigger reason these sites get shut down (or are afraid of being shut down) is because they're heavily used to distribute pirated games (and other copyright violating content). If they were just serving mods and other free stuff, they wouldn't have anything to worry about, as nexus and even LL have nothing to worry about.

[/quote']

Loda shutted itself down because its a low profit site to start with, and it doesn't have the money to update the system according to the god forsaken ACTA demands.

Here's the link of the claim.

http://blog.loda.jp/2012/02/lodajp-331.html

More like zero profit it seems. That link says they weren't generating the ad revenue to pay for a single server. Not surprising. Web advertising is dying out as a revenue source, and isn't helped by many users of such sites being more "internet savvy" than most and intentionally blocking the ads.

A pay model is going to be the only way for such sites to survive in the future, charging enough to pay not only for the hardware and bandwidth, but administrative costs in verifying/validating content and resolving disputes over ownership.

There are a few like this already and I'm sure more will emerge. For those not willing to pay, things will go back to usenet, torrents, and anonymous ftp sites -- none of which have gone away, despite the popularity of website based sharing.

well they couldn't get taxes out of the internet (your email) so there going to do the next best thing' date=' shut everything down that doesn't dance to there tune, they'll get there all mighty dollar one way or another. <--sarcasm

Oh the days of the dialup BBS ---- Here we come!!! :)

Wonder if my old Wildcat BBS software would still work :) LOL[/quote']

Anyone got a phone that still fits a suction cup 64bps modem? :)

to be honest pride torrenting mods is a dumb idea unless your ok with a million outdated versions of your mod floating around the internet. The best solution for them is to pool resources buy a used server, create a private forums and start over

sooner or later its what every other community will need to do as well

Agh, this is disturbing news. First Megaupload, and though it's unrelated, loda dropping soon is going to really hit the "out of the way" modding communities such as this one hard. Lot of people used MU, and a lot of fairly hard-to-find mods are only on loda. Once it does end service, I suspect there will be a lot of requests for mods that are just not out there anymore, and those of us with the mods installed will(hopefully) be able to get together the stuff we have installed and get it reupped. This really is turning into a fileholocaust.

Archived