Skyrim to Fallout?

NNS10

I've been rather frustrated with how non-interactive the world of Skyrim is and wondered if Fallout was any better? If so, how are the mods? And which Fallout game is more widely supported--FO3 or NV?

My issue with Skyrim is while it appears very open-world, what you do has little impact on the world or how you're treated. You can go on a murdering spree in Whiterun and after you spend a day in jail, people will still hail you as a hero. On top of that, you're also very limited in how you play the game. There are numerous NPCs that can't be killed, so if you wanted to play an evil character or if you wanted to play a good character and clean out the corruption in Riften... well, you can't.

So the question is whether Fallout is any better.

New Vegas is quite a bit more supported, mod-wise.

Factions are more reactive in New Vegas. If you go on a killing spree in any town, survivors will attack you on sight any time you come back. Some factions you can rebuild your reputation with, others, once you're hated thats it. And some towns are interconnected while others aren't. If you piss off Goodsprings, no one in Primm cares. If you piss of Sloan, your game is pretty much over because Mojave Outpost, 188, and anywhere else run by the NCR is just as pissed as Sloan is. I could go on but I'm sure you get the point.

There are a handful of essential NPCs in both Fallout games, but in general you can kill most anybody. You can easily break your ability to finish the game by killing the wrong person.

Personally I think the Fallout games are far superior to the Elder Scrolls, but then again I love my guns. "Vicarious" by Tool is my theme song, I like to watch things die from a good, safe distance. 

This question is up in the air. I personally prefer the Fallout Lore over Skyrim but this is my personal preference. Adult mods in Fallout is far more likely due to the fact that civilization has fallen and the rest of society is scattered optimizing the chances of these mods. Immersion if you will. In Fallout(NV) all your actions as far as I have experienced are noticed throughout the entire game. IE NCR and The Legion have the most impact. You can be a villan if you choose to be which has benefits and consequences. The game is open world just like Skyrim. Not as big since its a older game and guns are used more than swords and bows. If you prefer a grittier RPG then play the Fallout Series. If you like magic, mid-evil style with dragons and more fantasy-like style then pick Skyrim. I have played both and enjoyed both in their own ways.

Guest endgameaddiction

There's 3 things you need to be aware of when it comes to interactions with NPCs and Fallout New Vegas; karma, reputation and faction. These affect how NPCs react towards you. Unlike Skyrim, if you kill someone in a settlement, there is no jail time, it's do or die. Killing someone in a settlement/town will have them hostile towards you. Just in that town.

As far as interaction with specific NPCs, I think you'll find some NPCs a bit more depth than any of them in Skyrim. Not by much, though. I think in the Fallout and Skyrim world there isn't really a whole sense of depth with unique NPCs to the point where you actually care about them. Nothing like FF7 with Tifa and Aerith, ya know? It's a lackluster, but overall both Fallout 3 and New Vegas are worth playing and modding.

Edit: I did grow a special care for Vera Keyes in Dead Money, but she's just mentioned in the DLC.

Both FO3 and FNV offer more world experience than Skyrim, but FO3 still has a bit of the problem of being shoe-horned into a "good" character, in that the choices are frequently very black and white, and your choice is either a good person or a complete sociopath. Some of the DLC, though, hit the grey fairly well. NV is much more grey. None of the factions are truly good, and only one of them is difficult to see as anything other than evil (but perhaps, by history's lessons, a necessary evil?).

Personally, I think FNV offers a much more realistic picture of a post-war civilization, particularly when accounting for the actual Fallout Lore and timeline. FO3 provides you with a post-apocalyptic world per the general standard, which is a good experience on its own unless you really pay attention to the background lore, in which case it no longer makes all that much sense. Same with the world itself -- there are towns that are quite good as . . . set pieces, very fun and add to the game's character until you start to think about it and realize that they are probably quite unrealistic. FNV, on the other hand, I think shows exactly how society would rebuild -- by collecting into groups and then warring with each other over resources.

Mod support is definitely better for FNV.

Thanks for the feedback. Answer sounds like a definitive "Yes."

If I do attempt to try this, I have two more questions:

1) Is Tale of Two Wastelands (TTW) worth the trouble? Or am I better off sticking with FNV?

2) How are character creation options in FNV? Would I be correct in assuming they are VERY limited? If I recall correctly, FO3 character creation was limited to selecting among a small set of static preset options (e.g. choice of preset face, hair, and skin color). How is FNV?

And I thought this thread was going to be about merging Skyrim into Fallout TTW style

... I thought the same *laughs*

But well I just wanted to say that even in Skyrim there are mods which try to correct some unrealistic things like that. Two months ago I had to restart because I couldn't approach the whole Eastmarch or I had to spend two years in jail, I couldn't evade Riften's prison because of Wererats and the bounty on my head was too high to be paid. And just because I killed Nerfi... ^_^

Does FNV have resources similar to Skyrim's SkyGems and STEP?

I'd like to get a sense of what mods are available before I decide to buy FNV. For instance, having an idea of the various frameworks out there (e.g. SKSE, MCM, SkyUI equivalents), body and hair mods, and major overhaul mods. From this, I would hope to get a sense of not just what's available, but the type of compatibility issues I'd have to deal with (e.g. SkyRe and Requiem are a hassle to deal with, but there are alternatives).

Guest endgameaddiction

FO3 and FNV character creation are both the same.  The gene projection in NV sucks to me because it's smaller and the lighting doesn't help. You won't find anything like ECE or RM for Fallout. The best thing you can do if you want an eyecandy face is to get used to FaceGen and beat yourself to death till you are satisfied with the results.

There is a MCM for Fallout New Vegas. There isn't for Fallout 3, unless you buy both and go with the TTW approach.

In terms of the Nexus, there is Skyrim, and then there is everything else. NV is like second place, I think (maybe Oblivion still), but Skyrim really broke the bank in terms of mods uploaded, pics uploaded, and everything else. Hell, that's when the Nexus servers really started showing their age and poor setup. Before that game and all of its traffic, the site problems were a lot more rare.

That's not exactly what I meant. I meant to say that you will simply not find the amount of content that you can find for Skyrim, for any other game, anywhere else. Skyrim, for some reason, drove the modding community to insane levels of productivity never seen before. You'll have to accept that you've been spoiled by the breadth of mods available for Skyrim, and that you're not going to find that level again. :(

Approve meaning a post count requirement. However there are public mods for you to test out if you just register. Most people enjoy it so much, they linger around and wait to become an approved member (Process can take anywhere from 24 hours to a few weeks upon registering). I don't think it was that bad of a wait, you can ask people like A.J., Halstrom, Ritualclarity and many other LL members about the process as well.

I've been rather frustrated with how non-interactive the world of Skyrim is and wondered if Fallout was any better? If so, how are the mods? And which Fallout game is more widely supported--FO3 or NV?

My issue with Skyrim is while it appears very open-world, what you do has little impact on the world or how you're treated. You can go on a murdering spree in Whiterun and after you spend a day in jail, people will still hail you as a hero. On top of that, you're also very limited in how you play the game. There are numerous NPCs that can't be killed, so if you wanted to play an evil character or if you wanted to play a good character and clean out the corruption in Riften... well, you can't.

I actually never really understood these complaints about "non-interactive" RPG-Worlds that much. I am no game-developer, but Skyrim or Fallout can only simulate are real world to some degree. Sure, it would be nice if every little thing you do would be recognized by the world .. .but really, how much work would that be? And I am sure that some players, if the world reacted properly to your killing spree in Whiterun (which would be: Hunted down and killed in public aka game over screen)  would still complain about the next thing: "My char is a wrinkled old redheaded woman, but everybody calls her a lass, and nobody every comments on her red hair! Sooooo stupid!!"

The same for killable NPCs ... its such an overrated "feature" in my book. I remember that some gamers in Morrowind back in the days made it a hobby to cleanse the entire island of all intelligent life ... other than that, where is the point? Roleplaying a mass-murderer? If it suits one's tastes, go ahead (and maybe use the Creation Kit to adjust the NPCs to killable). But I guess companies mostly got upset by gamers posting stuff like "I just killed the Marquis of L'Importante Quest-Givee because I roleplay an evil sociopath, and he also was the center of corruption in town yaddda yadda and now I cannot complete the quest he gave me before! I only realized it after I overwrite my only savegame! Your company sucks so much!!!!!!!" - that was exaggeration, of course :lol:

Oh, anyway. For me its more personal taste. I prefer Skyrim's fantasy-setting and I am more than able to ignore the little non-interactive things. Actually, I find it kind of odd that the world recognizes me THAT much. Realistic it would be if only some important chars you interacted with would really know who you are or what you did... But in a world where the major capital city is only a windmill, some houses and a dozen inhabitants suspension of disbelief comes in handy for immersion :dodgy:

Fallout however is also wonderful, by all means. Lots of content, less heroic. The factions give some illusion of world-interactivity, but really, there isn't so much impact as well. Which is fine. Who cares for what you did in some Vault anyway, there are other things to do in the postapocalypse anyway. Also it has a lot more background for Adult-Mods. Though my guess Skyrim will surpass it someday in terms of cool mods. FNV has some good ones, but they hardly get supported or extended anymore. A pity though. A modder with a most perverse mind could just do anything in this setting without breaking immersion at all ... :cool:

Approve meaning a post count requirement. However there are public mods for you to test out if you just register. Most people enjoy it so much, they linger around and wait to become an approved member (Process can take anywhere from 24 hours to a few weeks upon registering). I don't think it was that bad of a wait, you can ask people like A.J., Halstrom, Ritualclarity and many other LL members about the process as well.

24 hours? How could someone manage 30 posts in 24 hours?

I'd probably have trouble getting even 5 posts, as I'm not sure I have anything to say there. LL is sufficient for questions I may have, and the few public mods I can currently access aren't really of interest to me.

In FO plenty of quests give you choices of what outcome you want to make. Its up to your decision if you want to be world saver or do you want to doom it. Thats an amaizing thing. You can play it 3 or 4 times and there would still be things you haven't tried yet.

In Skyrim only few quests give you such choice. Way over 90% of them are linear. And this is a very bad thing for an RPG.

On the other hand Skyrim mods can be lot more sophisticated than FONV mods.

24 hours? How could someone manage 30 posts in 24 hours?

I'd probably have trouble getting even 5 posts, as I'm not sure I have anything to say there. LL is sufficient for questions I may have, and the few public mods I can currently access aren't really of interest to me.

Oh no not 30 posts in 24 hours. You can post as many as times as you want, you can take your time.

As I'm getting into this and actually testing my mods and trying to get a working setup, it's becoming abundantly clear to me why the Skyrim modding scene is so much more active than Fallout's. Skyrim seems a lot easier to deal with, both from the modder's end and user's end. Less technical limitations and compatibility issues.

"I just killed the Marquis of L'Importante Quest-Givee because I roleplay an evil sociopath, and he also was the center of corruption in town yaddda yadda and now I cannot complete the quest he gave me before! I only realized it after I overwrite my only savegame! Your company sucks so much!!!!!!!"

That was exaggeration, of course :lol:

Errr . . . it was? Are you sure? Almost positive I've seen that verbatim, haha.

Archived