IGNORED

fresh install helps a lot

just making a feedback of my case, because I feel it's relevant to many posts I see often in the various mod topics.

I have been playing with the same install of Skyrim since the game was out in 2011, and that means countless mods tried and deleted and reinstalled and updated and DLC added and more stuff added/hacked/removed.

But it cames to the point I could no longer load savegame without having the game crash 9 times out of 10, I was almost unable to enter big cities (especially Windhelm, but also Whiterun and Markath), I would often get the "neverending loading" bug, in other words, just a plain pool of fucked up crap making playing just a nightmare, even when starting fresh new games.

being fed up with that, I decided to reinstall the whole game + all the mods on a secondary pc to see if I could possibly recover the old savegames.

and to my surprise, it worked beautifully.

now all my loading time are cut to 1/10 of what they were before, the game hardly crash anymore (I mean no more than whats normal for Skyrim which has never been a reference in stability) and the crash are mostly caused by mods incompatibilities, hardly any "neverending loading" bug (still happens occasionally, but once in a while isnt damageable)

all in all Im now able to find back the enjoyment of playing, and thats with my current 170 mods (yes I know some of you have much more than that) and all my old savegames.

it took me ~3 evening to get it back together, and I certainly dont regret it.

so to all of you who may have the same kind of massive and recurring problems in skyrim, maybe think about a fresh reinstall.

You did switch to Mod Organizer in the process, didn't you? Man, I hope you did. Then you could just say goodbye to all the nonsense and never have to reinstall again (short of hardware issues anyway).

I dont, but mostly because I never really looked at whats MO is.

The Skyrim ecosystem is like a giant jungle, you discover something new all the time :D

You did switch to Mod Organizer in the process, didn't you? Man, I hope you did. Then you could just say goodbye to all the nonsense and never have to reinstall again (short of hardware issues anyway).

I dont, but mostly because I never really looked at whats MO is.

The Skyrim ecosystem is like a giant jungle, you discover something new all the time :D

No kidding! :D

Mod Organizer is something like Nexus Mod Manager on steroids, but it actually works. :P What I think is its best feature is the fact that it doesn't add anything directly to your /Skyrim/data/ folder at all. It creates a virtually /data/ directory outside of Skyrim itself. This means no more screwed up Skyrim installations no matter how many mods you add or remove, and you'll always have a fresh, clean installation.

This also allows for you to have multiple profiles, and each of these profiles can have its own set of mods, it's own ini files, it's own saves, and all that shit. It keeps all profiles totally seperate. I have several profiles and a couple are only used to test new stuff so I don't bork my actually playthroughs. Hell, I even have a character profile set up for straight up performance so I can explore and fight with ease. Then I used the ECE save slots to put that character into a whole new profile that looks a whole lot better and has sex mods and Pinup Poser in it for character tweaking and other assorted sordid things. :o

Plus it never lets any mod overwrite any other mod. What it does is more like over "reading" in fact. You have an installed mods pane and you can drag and drop mods into an order that gives you the over "writes" that you want.

And there are many more reasons to use it. It even downloads mods from Nexus (even opens a browser window if you tell it to!) if that's your thing.

just making a feedback of my case, because I feel it's relevant to many posts I see often in the various mod topics.

I have been playing with the same install of Skyrim since the game was out in 2011, and that means countless mods tried and deleted and reinstalled and updated and DLC added and more stuff added/hacked/removed.

But it cames to the point I could no longer load savegame without having the game crash 9 times out of 10, I was almost unable to enter big cities (especially Windhelm, but also Whiterun and Markath), I would often get the "neverending loading" bug, in other words, just a plain pool of fucked up crap making playing just a nightmare, even when starting fresh new games.

being fed up with that, I decided to reinstall the whole game + all the mods on a secondary pc to see if I could possibly recover the old savegames.

and to my surprise, it worked beautifully.

now all my loading time are cut to 1/10 of what they were before, the game hardly crash anymore (I mean no more than whats normal for Skyrim which has never been a reference in stability) and the crash are mostly caused by mods incompatibilities, hardly any "neverending loading" bug (still happens occasionally, but once in a while isnt damageable)

all in all Im now able to find back the enjoyment of playing, and thats with my current 170 mods (yes I know some of you have much more than that) and all my old savegames.

it took me ~3 evening to get it back together, and I certainly dont regret it.

so to all of you who may have the same kind of massive and recurring problems in skyrim, maybe think about a fresh reinstall.

I see you are a patient player huh? Perhaps, a masochist one, also?

All joking aside, it's amazing that you suffered that torture for 3 years. I myself have reinstalled Skyrim about 6-7 times now, which the first one being only around 40 hours of playtime.

I see you are a patient player huh? Perhaps, a masochist one, also?

All joking aside, it's amazing that you suffered that torture for 3 years. I myself have reinstalled Skyrim about 6-7 times now, which the first one being only around 40 hours of playtime.

ha, I havent had much problems for a long time, it started more or less when I discovered the mods available in this forum :D

so around 6 months or so

Archived