Argonian Hybrid

bigdawg78

is this an argonian race replacer? because that's exactly what i've been looking for, for months. Any news on this mod or if anyone has any suggestions?

no. its just a replacer for the Ohmes-Raht race for your char. thruns them from human/kajiit mix to human/argonian mix

Oh, thanks. Anyone know any good argonian race replacer? Obviously I do not care about lore friendliness, just wondering if there's something similar to Ohmes-Raht but  for argonians.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems this can't or rather wont be made into a race mods because it uses assets from some one else mod, though I am still a little fuzzy on "Copy Right" seems to be thrown around a lot. . but I thought it was my understanding that once something is altered and no longer looks like the original it is no longer the original work there fore not under copy right but maybe things work differently some where.

I gotta say, this race looks freakin' fantastic, especially in the most recent screenshots with the dragon wings and whatnot. I'd pay real money to have that race in my game, having read over this entire topic it all seems a bit complicated for me trying to put together everything everyone is saying. I don't think I'd ever use another race if I had her in my game though, she's the perfect dragonborn. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've followed the instructions given by bigdawg78, and using a combination of the Breezy face and tail meshes, Argonian Hybrid textures and Eiries Ohmes-Raht race 1.1, I've made a working standalone race mod for the Argonian Hybrids.  I've renamed the paths using Tes5Edit (so files won't conflict with the Ohmes-Raht mod), and renamed all the object IDs to have "ArgonianHybrid" instead of "OhmesRaht".  I've updated the text labels / descriptions, and everything seems to work OK.  I'm using the default meshes from Ohmes-Raht except for the face and tail mesh from Breezy, to keep maximum compatibility with vanilla Skyrim.

Now, the big questioin is, can you distribute mods based on Eiries mod?

There are still a few things I need to fix, it still has Khajiit tints available instead of the Argonian ones, for example.  I also changed the presets to use the Imperial female presets instead of the Bretons, but I might change that to Nords instead.

As for the scripts, the original Ohmes Raht mod didn't have compiled custom scripts, just compiled versions of the vanilla scripts, which were passed variables from the quest defined in the mod.  It seems to work so far....

And, of course, this is a female-only player race.

I've made quite a bit of progress.  I managed to get all of the textures renamed and the NIF edited to reflect the new textures for the head.  I was able to compile the script necessary to use the latest release of the Race Compatibility mod, which will be required for this to work properly with all of the quests, especially Dawnguard.  I used "Race Compatability All-in-One NMM installer", which seems to be the latest version.

The subsurface textures were blank, so I used the generic ones from the game.  This does mean that if you want to replace the subsurface textures, you'll have to edit the mod in tes5edit to change the paths.

A script compiling problem was due to not having the "Scripts.rar" archive installed by the Creation Kit unpacked in the Skyrim/Data folder.  Without it, there's no source code for new scripts to reference (this might have been bigdawg74's problem).

I've fixed/updated all of the tints, and the facial shaping options.  I made sure to include both the argonian and normal eye colors, and included the regular and argonian face paints as well.  The skin tones work well, I duplicated the argonian ones.  I re-created the Vampire race from the updated tints / shapes, so that shouldn't cause a problem.

I've edited / updated just about everything in the Ohmes-Raht mod, using the instructions for building a new race that come with the Race Compatibility mod, so I don't feel any problems should exist with release it as it is.

So, just a little clean up, and I should be able to post the mod shortly.

I am having a problem with the specular map on the head not reflecting properly, but all races are showing signs of the same issue on my system, it might be an Nvidia driver issue or some other setting I need to tweak.  I have the same issues on my development desktop and my laptop, both have high-end Nvidia cards (GTX 780, Quadro 4000m).  I stripped the laptop back to just vanilla skyrim, not even with high-res textures, and it still exhibited the same issue.

I actually managed to get these textures working some time ago the hard way with Bigdawg's help, so I'm very happy to see that there is finally an actual race mod! I am going to have to try this out sometime very soon... even though I'm not a big fan of Argonians, the lizard hybrid look is just so cool.

how do i install this?

Install the race compatibility mod first, you can use NMM or FOMod to make that easier.  Or follow the manual install instructions in the Race Compatibility mod's .7z file's 00-Core folder.

Then unpack the files/folders from the .rar file in the google link I provided above to your Skyrim/Data folder.  That's all it should take.

Make sure that RaceCompatibility.esm, and any other RaceComptability .esp files are loaded before ArgonianHybrid.esp.  Though the game should load the .esm file first, so it may not cause an issue.

Whoa, once you complete it, care to share the texture you've created? I want to see If I can use it to replace the argonian textures in my game. It's similar to the khajiit replacer I currently use. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/47865/?

What mod is this? The link doesn't work.

it works, the file was just removed. Sorry. 

Do you perhaps have the file? If so, could you upload it here for me? PM it or something? I would be thankful.

I tried this for a bit, and still like the overall look, but I had a couple issues:

1) The skin appears to change color along with the scales. I had thought before that the scales could be distinctly green, while the skin was... well, skin color. ^-^

2) This race doesn't make use of Racemenu's features, which means I couldn't do lots of the custom stuff. Probably not much that can be done about this.

Still, very pretty and well-done. It's a shame that custom races seem to have so many problems with my mods.

I tried this for a bit, and still like the overall look, but I had a couple issues:

1) The skin appears to change color along with the scales. I had thought before that the scales could be distinctly green, while the skin was... well, skin color. ^-^

2) This race doesn't make use of Racemenu's features, which means I couldn't do lots of the custom stuff. Probably not much that can be done about this.

Still, very pretty and well-done. It's a shame that custom races seem to have so many problems with my mods.

I'm tinkering with some tintmasks that should prevent the skin from changing, leaving the rest of the body to change color.  It may be possible to reduce the tint impact but still have it change some.  I suppose if I invert that, I could have the skin change and the scales stay the same...  If you use the Breezy textures instead, they are distinctly green.

I've also corrected the claws racial trait to Argonian instead of Khajiit claws, with slightly less damage boost.

As for Racemenu, it says it's compatible with custom races... so I don't know why it doesn't work as well with the hybrid race (load order?).

It might be a load order issue, I suppose I didn't investigate that much beyond using LOOT to sort things. Racemenu worked as far as letting me create the character, but many of the extra tabs were just missing, which is something I've often had problems with in custom races. I don't know if it's just something I'm doing wrong or what. I did copy my Bodyslide meshes into the Argonian Hybrid folders, and I'm *pretty* sure I also copied the XPMSE skeleton files over, but still didn't get those extra tabs.

The race still functions and all, and animations work just fine... the main problem for me is that I can't customize weapon placements, which means that all my custom weapon-draw animations look wrong. Maybe someone who knows more than me about this has made it work, but I've never been able to.

Well, doesn't look like the tintmask will do what I want.  I may package an alternate texture set using Breezy's green textures, for those that want a green/human skin contrast.

I've edited all of the .nif files for the body, hands and feet, so they reference the correct textures, and eliminated unneeded textures / files.  So the next release will be a bit cleaner, only having necessary files.

I suppose I could package these changes up along with the Argonian claws, that's enough to justify a 0.2 release.  I should probably write the FoMOD script needed for the mod managers, to make it easier for people to handle, first.

Hey first of all thanks for putting together an argonian hybrid mod. The marshwalker mod is good, but uses an elven face, and i cant use custom hairs with it, so this was really good in terms of aesthetics for me.

However, i'm having an issue where using the race causes my game to become laggier and laggier, affecting the FPS. Changing race fixes this completely. Rebooting Skyrim also fixes it temporarily. Reloading an old save doesn't. I tried to fix it by using your body textures with the Succubus race mod, but i get the same problem. Interestingly, I have another argonian texture mod called "feminine argonians" or something similar, and using their textures, either replacing your textures or that of the succubus race mod also gives the same problem, leading me to believe there's a lot more to making a race than drag and drop between other custom races. It gets to the point where it causes unplayable script lag unfortunately.

One interesting thing i'm not sure about the importance of, is that when i bring up showracemenu it's still laggy, but if I open the console at the same time as the racemenu, the lag disappears.

Hey first of all thanks for putting together an argonian hybrid mod. The marshwalker mod is good, but uses an elven face, and i cant use custom hairs with it, so this was really good in terms of aesthetics for me.

However, i'm having an issue where using the race causes my game to become laggier and laggier, affecting the FPS. Changing race fixes this completely. Rebooting Skyrim also fixes it temporarily. Reloading an old save doesn't. I tried to fix it by using your body textures with the Succubus race mod, but i get the same problem. Interestingly, I have another argonian texture mod called "feminine argonians" or something similar, and using their textures, either replacing your textures or that of the succubus race mod also gives the same problem, leading me to believe there's a lot more to making a race than drag and drop between other custom races. It gets to the point where it causes unplayable script lag unfortunately.

One interesting thing i'm not sure about the importance of, is that when i bring up showracemenu it's still laggy, but if I open the console at the same time as the racemenu, the lag disappears.

Here's the latest build, I did rename the .esp file to be more in keeping with other race mods (it's now ArgonianHybridRace.esp, instead of ArgonianHybrid.esp, be sure to delete the old one): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5UkD3LwuQObTTNXRzhSTVVxbjg/view?usp=sharing

I have gone through all of the .nif files with Nifskope and corrected the texture paths, along with using Tes5edit to correct some of the other paths / tints / masks.  This may help with the lag issues, it might not.  I haven't had lag issues myself, having played a few hours as an argonian hybrid.

I haven't had a chance to work on documentation or the FOMOD support.  The FOMOD version will probably allow you to swap in the Breezy textures as an option, if you'd like a greener base color.

Thanks a lot man, ill try it out later to see if it helped. I managed to hammer out a strange workaround by combining all 3 argonian race mods. I combined the marshwalker and "feminine argonians" textures ages ago to get a nice look, and all i did was replace their textures with your hand and body textures (not the face) and so far I haven't had any issues.

Which means i've got a slightly elven looking face with feminine argonian texture for the head, argonian meshes and your textures for the body, and a marshwalker.esp for the racey stuff. Not sure how it works but it does. But yeah not exactly the best solution.

Archived