Tutorial! How To Increase The Useable Memory Of Oblivion

there are MANY "tweaks" (i hate that word) to improve the performance of oblivion, but one of the lesser known ones is increasing the amount of memory that your oblivion.exe has access to. (this adds the LargeAddressAware flag to the modified exe/dll.) this can be done on other titles (yes even fallout new vegas, and skyrim) using different techniques, but the simplest approach in my opinion (for oblivion) is using cff explorer. if you are not "tech savvy" (i hate labels) then using this extremely powerful tool can be a bit...... daunting. for those willing to try it ("i guarantee you will not be dissapointed if using large texture packs and the like") this wonderful tool can be found at    After installing, it should have integrated itself into your windows shell, meaning that when you click on an exe that it will have the option to "open with cff explorer". now, AFTER BACKING UP EVERY DLL AND EVERY EXE IN YOUR OBLIVION DIRECTORY (for ass-covering purposes) you should proceed to your first dll or exe and right click it, and (you guessed it) "open with CFF Explorer". Here is where people get daunted. this is not a "simple" tool. quite the opposite, but for our purposes, you will only have to use the simple functions. in the LEFT_HAND menu, if you do not see "file header" click the [+] sign next to the file name  to open the drop down menu, and click the [+] sign NT Headers, and select "file header". now, in the RIGHT-HAND menu , look for the row that begins with "characteristics" and at the end of that row it will say "click here". do so. this will open a "pop-up" window.  the only thing in this window we are interested in is the "App can handle >2gb address space" entry. click on the empty check-box next to it to place an "X" there. click "ok". now hover your mouse over the floppy disk icon at the top of the main cffexplorer window. it should say "save" after a second or two. click it and over write. now...... repeat to EVERY dll and EVERY exe in your oblivion folder. this takes care of many memory issues that i have ran across, and is but one "tweak" (ewww) that i have personally used to gain MASSIVE increases to performance.

Yeah, I have this installed and reviewed it, but I still find the 4GB Patch by the same developer/author much simpler to use. A couple of mouse clicks and you're done.

Still, I think it may have some usefulness with other files like DLLs, I just haven't had time to do a deeper read and review of it.

Archived