Armory of Faerun - Heavy Plate Collection

Neptune

Well, after no one responded to update 7 featuring 4 armors that took me forever to model, I felt the armors must have either offended the community somehow, or people no longer care about them/the effort I put into this project. Thus my motivation dropped like a rock.

However I got an itch to play skyrim again, so Ive resumed work on uvmapping the armors. Donno how my motivation will fair without getting any feedback from loverslab, so might move this project to nexus.

Most of the time I am not sure how to respond in WIP project besides what limited testing ability I can offer.  Regarding cloth/armor I try to restrain as much as I can commenting and requesting aesthetics changes, which leaves me with pretty much nothing to say.  I think many here probably felt the same out of respect for the authors.  However, you can probably open a floodgate if you specifically request comments...

I do think this set of armors are epic and would love to see it finished one day, as long as the lines stay clean and textures realistic.  Too many heavy armors are over decorative that are more of detraction than enjoyable for my taste.

Well, after no one responded to update 7 featuring 4 armors that took me forever to model, I felt the armors must have either offended the community somehow, or people no longer care about them/the effort I put into this project. Thus my motivation dropped like a rock.

However I got an itch to play skyrim again, so Ive resumed work on uvmapping the armors. Donno how my motivation will fair without getting any feedback from loverslab, so might move this project to nexus.

Release a beta of what you currently have. Then you'll see comments flowing in.

At this point, there's not that many reasons for people to comment about the mod because they have seen so little. The most that you can expect are a few "Awesome" and "Wow, you're great" blah blah blah comments, but nothing relatively insightful because the users have no place to start.

So release a quick beta with about 3-4 finished armors and ask for some feedbacks.

Also, obviously you'll get more comments from the Nexus, so it's a good idea to just take your mod over there (but leave a mirror link here for people who've been banned). There's more people in the Nexus, and you'll have to release a mod in order to set up a thread that's seen by the majority of the Nexus user (unless they browse the forum, but I doubt many of them do that). When people have an actual released mod that they can use in their own game, they'll be more likely to comment on your mod and whatever WIPs that you might have next.

Heh seems I've just misunderstood then, cool beans. Got my hands on Headus an Modo software which is making the texturing process far less convoluted then before .. should improve motivaton a bit. I'll take ur suggestions to heart an focus on a handful of armors at a time, release, rinse an repeat.(edit) wrote this on my phone at work, so when i get home I'll write a proper reply responding to everyone who's posted ^^

Update 7 is probably my favorite out of all of them. I think most people just decided to sit back and wait patiently for something to be released. I know there's still a lot of us that would like to see these armors completed because heavy armors like this have yet to exist in Skyrim, and it would be a shame if you were to discontinue development.

Cheers man, update 7 was a whole lotta work, tho Im still not 100% sure on armor of the hart and mithril field plates model designs. Like you said as people are waiting for something to be released, I'll probably just go ahead an focus on texturing the models that I am 100% confident about.

nah we are just fine

update 7 looks awesome(IM STILL WAITING FOR DAT SISTER ARMOR =D )

its just the fresh meat newbies that it wants a animu weaboo or skimpy mod

also im playing TTW atm due to my skyim, who decided to screw up with the rocks, snow and mountain meshes and textures

Thanks dude, seeing how popular plate of orleans is, I'll have to include it in the first batch of released models ^^ I see what your saying aswell in regards to the noobs burying some topics here with their incessant posts/requests, will have to keep that in mind if motivation ever dips again.

TTW looks ace aswell, might have to try it out, how many mods dose it support so far? Regarding your skyrim texture issues

5e0qqO8.png

Had the exact same problem with snow lods, iceburgs, an various other lods .. No matter what fix I attempted, those ugly ass low res lods wouldnt go away. This was probably a large contributing factor to my motivation dipping a few months back. Hopefully now that Ive reinstalled Skyrim to my new ssd, the problem will be solved ..

There's not enough legit heavy armor mods, too many armor modders get stuck in just making conversions or female only armors. You're models are great, can't wait.

Right? Donno what the obsession is about with all the female related content. Even the skyrim youtubers are positively obsessed with smutty female shit. Like, some of its cool, no doubt, but danm son, dat obsession. What ever, each to their own I suppose. People just need to be careful or they'll go blind ;)

I think people refrained from posting because we're afraid of driving you off with too much enthusiasm. :P

And I'm really, really looking forward to this when it's all finished because there's a nice mix of unisex and female specific armors.

Haha dont have to worry about that, let the enthusiasm rain fourth!

Yeah, I'm kind of scared to post for fear of driving you off. I was wondering if the project was starting to get overwhelming and wasn't sure if "how long until it's done" questions would help or drive you away. Please keep up the good work but I'm sure everyone would love a BETA version of this mod.

Wont lie, did start to get a little overhwelming by update 7. I still had a few more armors planned (composite, gothic, white dragon) but now Ill probably skip those an focus on texturing what Ive already modeled.

Most of the time I am not sure how to respond in WIP project besides what limited testing ability I can offer.  Regarding cloth/armor I try to restrain as much as I can commenting and requesting aesthetics changes, which leaves me with pretty much nothing to say.  I think many here probably felt the same out of respect for the authors.  However, you can probably open a floodgate if you specifically request comments...

I do think this set of armors are epic and would love to see it finished one day, as long as the lines stay clean and textures realistic.  Too many heavy armors are over decorative that are more of detraction than enjoyable for my taste.

Thank you for the restraint, but I would in fact welcome suggestions and such. Were on the same track concerning textures. Ill attempt to color the steel as it was done from The Dark Ages through to the Renaissance period. Some armors will have decorative engravings and etching, as seen on various kings plate. Others, like the Faerun specific high tier armor will also have engravings/etchings in line with their theme, but again it will be kept minimal. All metals will be Steel, Mithril and Adamantine.

Release a beta of what you currently have. Then you'll see comments flowing in.

At this point, there's not that many reasons for people to comment about the mod because they have seen so little. The most that you can expect are a few "Awesome" and "Wow, you're great" blah blah blah comments, but nothing relatively insightful because the users have no place to start.

So release a quick beta with about 3-4 finished armors and ask for some feedbacks.

Also, obviously you'll get more comments from the Nexus, so it's a good idea to just take your mod over there (but leave a mirror link here for people who've been banned). There's more people in the Nexus, and you'll have to release a mod in order to set up a thread that's seen by the majority of the Nexus user (unless they browse the forum, but I doubt many of them do that). When people have an actual released mod that they can use in their own game, they'll be more likely to comment on your mod and whatever WIPs that you might have next.

Yep your right cant expect a constant stream of replys when I only release screenshots of untextured models. I think 4 models per release sounds good. Im thinking Ill get 3 low tier armors and plate of orleans textured an released for the first batch.

I was very tempted at first to move to nexus, then I thought 'this project started in loverslab, so It'll stay in loverslab' tho perhaps down the road that could change as like you said one would get way more exposure to their projects there.

These would be perfect to create a party of armored knights, please do continue! :D

Ah glad to see Im not the only one making parties comprised almost entirely of armored knights haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQfGd3G6dg

Release a Beta atleast

With Glorious 2048 textures =D

4 Model release it is. With high res textures as standard, of course. Is 4k to much?

Hmm. I agree, that plate armors need more love in Skyrim.

But why not copying some historical designs?

HJRK_A_62_17036.jpg

fullplate.jpg

italian_armor_upload.jpg

3091859311_35e8a1b8d4.jpg

plate-armor.jpg

medieval_helmets.jpg

img_1333.jpg

Or just google "italian armor". There are lots of amazing pictures.

Armors of their vain were planned, but as mentioned previously I was already pretty overwhelmed as I approached them so I'll be focusing on the already modeled armors then perhaps picking these back up once all that is done.

@neptune, visit TTW website, there's a lot of mods compatible with TTW, and isn't hard to convert some of them(unless its scripted)

Ah interesting, if that squad/party control mod that came of somewhat recently works then im sold. Also wonder if things like verts flora overhaul crosses over to the capital wasteland. Ill hitup the forums an do a lil investigating.

Glad to know you are going with realistic textures. Not sure if you have seen this but it is really good stuff:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/57489/?

This guy has late Middle Ages aesthetics covered, well England anyway. I am however surprised by how little attention he's gotten at Nexus, something to be aware of if/when you release the armors there.

Oh nice find! Its even a double bonus with mr shinji san doing the review.

Overall the mod seems like a bit of a unsung gem like you said. The armors, horse armor an castle all seem like top quality stuff. Theres even a series of quests included which is just the icing on the cake really. Im half tempted to add the knights from it to the warbands I plan to add around skyrim. I also think that horse is great, an will deffo give it to my other knight warbands albe it with a retexture. Cheers for the heads up man, this is awesome.

And gents do I a real treat you, 6 new heavy armors. Honestly I think their some of my best work. I know I said I wouldnt do any more modelling, but this is it, last of the models. Promise lol. 2 are very heavily modified ones that I wasnt to happy with (mentioned earlier) the other 4 are brand new. Will post some screens when I get back from work ^^

Lastly, do you guys wanna vote on which armors I texture an release first? I could post new renders of all the armors then do a poll?

Big Update

q0Kz0sQ.jpg

Adventurers Composite Plate

p12Z2Px.jpg

Halberdiers Composite Plate

R2h7mbM.jpg

Carroburg Full Plate

qt8XAUM.jpg

Full Plate Mail +2

eNBX3Ky.jpg

Mithril Field Plate

YVsQh1e.jpg

Armor of the Hart

Thats should be it for the armors. Think I got everything mostly covered from previous requests; composite, gothic an classic. Additionally Armor of the Hart and Mithril Field Plate have been heavily altered. Will no longer be taking requests for new armor models as Im finally moving into the texturing phase. Although people have requested that I release this mod in parts/beta, with everyone playing Dragon Age for the foreseeable future, I see no point in this really. Thus I will take my time an release all at once, once everythings finished.

About the texture , I would like that the appearance of armor was close to such modes with armor as Templar Set by Mancika or small events with armor Witcher 2 Style Dawnguard and Standard Heavy Plate by LordBaraban. That is, I mean, that would be for the most realistic was (no , everyone there , magenta and acid colors ), but the armor should be worn a lot . Just wanted to know whether the planned shields and coats ? And zadratoe visor on the armor full plate mail +2 will not interfere with the review ? It just half a person .

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to let you know that your modeling work is lovely, Neptune, and I'm eagerly awaiting the first release. I've loved the idea of this mod since you first shared it, I just haven't spoken up because so many mods never make it past the idea stage and I didn't want to get too hyped over something that wouldn't be. I'm glad to see you're still working away at this and I'll be even more excited when you share with us the first glimpses of textured armors. Keep up the great work, we need more beautiful plate armors that don't skimp on protection.

I find most ones on the nexus to be too skimpy, trying too hard at sexy, and so on and so forth.

Plus I laugh at their fashion sense.

My thoughts exactly.

I hope some real talented texturer will support this project. Maybe the same guy who did Immersive Armors.

You're the modder Skyrim needs.

Loving medivial armours since I'm a kid, really glad to see some more realistic armors.

I find most ones on the nexus to be too skimpy, trying too hard at sexy, and so on and so forth.

Plus I laugh at their fashion sense.

Exactly! I have nothing against skimpy, but many people's definition of "sexy" seems to be just leaving nothing to the imagination.

Neptune's armors are exactly what the game needs. I especially like update 5, with the extremely practical, yet nice looking armors.

My only worry is, and I hope Neptune won't take this the wrong way, is that this project has been going on since April, and we've only seen a steady stream of untextured models. This leaves me a bit worried that that's all we'll ever see.

Neptune obviously likes modeling armors, and since he's doing this for fun, he's well within his rights in doing that. And we obviously have no right to demand anything more. However, texturing and releasing one or two armors would probably help things along, both in recognition, and in giving people something concrete to use in their game. Just a suggestion, for whatever it's worth.

Big ol flurry of comments, just what I like to see! The concern regarding textures, I can understand. If I was following a project since April an all I had seen was untextured models, I would also be a 'bit' concerned. If theres one thing more telling of vaporware, its untextured models and grand visions .. That said, this project is indeed simply a hobby of mine. I turn to this project when I need a break or get an itch for adventure. Thus have been putting off texturing simply because its a ton of effort (to do it well), compared to modelling which I find highly enjoyable and very accessible. 

That aside, I did already mention, some time ago .. that the texturing process had already begun via uvmapping and image sourcing. If any ones uvmapped before, you know how time consuming this can be. Not necessarily difficult, just a bit tedious an time consuming. Same with image sourcing, need a big library of high res images for things like buckles, belts, rivets, leather, steel grain, etc.. To be photoshopped or 3d Coated onto the Uvmaps (a simplified statement). And if that dosnt comfort you guys, my commercial project in UE4 requires me to texture some mechs and tanks as well. Mechs an tanks are a bit easier to texture then these somewhat more complex plate armors, so will be a great way to refresh myself on the final stages of the texturing process, as I finish up the first stage of the plate texture process. So Brace yourselves, textures are coming ^^

Archived