RANT: Why do people upload image .bmp ("bump") files

gooser

".bmp" is a file extension meaning Bitmap (or mor technically, pixmap). It's a common lossless image format that saves RBG information for all pixels without any form of image compression.

Some games, namely Skyrim, spit out bitmaps when you press the screenshot button. Some people don't resize, compress, or convert their images and just post them up on the web when bitmaps aren't really a web-friendly file type for people trying to browse fast-loading images (might be okay to see it on your local computer, but bitmaps over the web is murder for people with web-browsers and possibly slow Internet connection). I guess it's just one of those netiquette things that needs to be learned, KIND OF LIKE TYPING IN ALL CAPS. 

".bmp" is a file extension meaning Bitmap (or mor technically, pixmap). It's a common lossless image format that saves RBG information for all pixels without any form of image compression.

Some games, namely Skyrim, spit out bitmaps when you press the screenshot button. Some people don't resize, compress, or convert their images and just post them up on the web when bitmaps aren't really a web-friendly file type for people trying to browse fast-loading images (might be okay to see it on your local computer, but bitmaps over the web is murder for people with web-browsers and possibly slow Internet connection). I guess it's just one of those netiquette things that needs to be learned, KIND OF LIKE TYPING IN ALL CAPS. 

I'm an Adobe Ps and Ai user, so I"m familiar with the formats. :)

When I hit F12 in Skyrim they are automatically captured in JPEG format. So that is why I am trying to understand where these bmp files are coming from? Hardly any app I use these days captures in a .bmp format anymore. Most are retooled to PNG or sometimes JPG.

When I hit F12 in Skyrim they are automatically captured in JPEG format. So that is why I am trying to understand where these bmp files are coming from? Hardly any app I use these days captures in a .bmp format anymore. Most are retooled to PNG or sometimes JPG.

F12 is the steam overlay's function for screenshots; isn't it? At least that one also uses JPEG, but the normal screenshots done by TES-games are in .bmp.

F12 is the steam overlay's function for screenshots; isn't it? At least that one also uses JPEG, but the normal screenshots done by TES-games are in .bmp.

And it's absolutely beautiful. :) lol

I rarely use f12 anymore I now use g12 which is right beside my left hand which makes it faster and easier to take screenshots. I ignore many BMP's when I see them as I don't feel like clicking them then waiting for them to download then clicking them again and waiting for them to load up into photoshop.

I rarely use f12 anymore I now use g12 which is right beside my left hand which makes it faster and easier to take screenshots. I ignore many BMP's when I see them as I don't feel like clicking them then waiting for them to download then clicking them again and waiting for them to load up into photoshop.

Exactly! Although you don't need Ps to load them - you can just use the regular Windows Photo Viewer

if i seen a bmp file and i dnt need open at all (i just open if necessary if its a answer, or a explanation and if i really need that) i just dnt open. Jesus if i can open and convert that with free software like gimp/others why other ppl cant also...

Honestly if people make a big deal about people using another img format than their just stupid >_<

its just a picture. deal with it :P

Because I'm going to look at your images, they should be browser friendly. I don't know any browser that is (out of the box) going to display that image. You are forcing the user to download the images, or at best launch another app to view them. Like what one of the previous posters said - its basic Netiquette. BMP is a very old format and as someone who deals with image formats all day long, its a royal pain in the ass.

Honestly if people make a big deal about people using another img format than their just stupid >_<

its just a picture. deal with it :P

Because I'm going to look at your images, they should be browser friendly. I don't know any browser that is (out of the box) going to display that image. You are forcing the user to download the images, or at best launch another app to view them. Like what one of the previous posters said - its basic Netiquette. BMP is a very old format and as someone who deals with image formats all day long, its a royal pain in the ass.

No, im not forcing anyone to do shit, I'm not there with a gun pointed at your head saying if you dont download my picture ior launch another app i will kill you.

I uploaded it, If you want to see it and i just happen to upload it in BMP. Its your choice rather you download to view or not.

Considering i use IMGUR to upload my pictures. it makes BMPs into JPGs by default so *shrug*.

Archived