Help, new to modding

dokurochan07

Well, im new to the oblivion mods, i watched a few youtube vids and I was really excited to create a character like the ones showed in the vids of fingingfeces, so i donwloaded oblivion, a lot of mods and spent almost 2 days trying to realize how to apply the mods (i take a bunch of mods from a thread created in this forum that was a help for a newbie) the problem is i have one interesting problem, the data folder in my oblivion game, doest have textures, meshes or anything folders, its just a bunch of files with the BSA extension, how can i get the folders to show or should i create them? extract the things inside each of this files, or just donwload a new game. Thanks for reading guys and i hope to spent a long time in this comunity!

Game of the year edition and all following versions of the game don't use folders any more, instead they're using .bsa archives. The only difference is that you'll have to create an Archive Invalidation file, other than that you just copy textures/meshes folders and .esm/.esp files to the Data folder.

If you're unfamiliar with Archive Invalidation (since you're new to modding I assume you are) I suggest you use the Archive Invalidation feature in OBMM (Oblivion Mod Manager). Download OBMM (either from Tesnexus or just do a Google search for it) and install it as is described in the ReadMe. Run it and click the utilities button, then Archive Invalidation, this will open a new, smaller window. In this, select the following settings:

Mode: BSA Alteration

File types to include: Select All.

Other Options: Generate Archive Invalidation entries on hash collision.

Then click "Update Now".

I've also selected "Autoupdate on Exit", as this will update the Archive Invalidation file each time you close OBMM. I only install mods with OBMM, so this is quite useful for me. If you want a full explanation of what the different settings do, click HERE.

Let me know if you have any further questions ;)

Regards,

GRC

Game of the year edition and all following versions of the game don't use folders any more' date=' instead they're using .bsa archives. The only difference is that you'll have to create an Archive Invalidation file, other than that you just copy textures/meshes folders and .esm/.esp files to the Data folder.

If you're unfamiliar with Archive Invalidation (since you're new to modding I assume you are) I suggest you use the Archive Invalidation feature in OBMM (Oblivion Mod Manager). Download OBMM (either from Tesnexus or just do a Google search for it) and install it as is described in the ReadMe. Run it and click the utilities button, then Archive Invalidation, this will open a new, smaller window. In this, select the following settings:

Mode: BSA Alteration

File types to include: Select All.

Other Options: Generate Archive Invalidation entries on hash collision.

Then click "Update Now".

I've also selected "Autoupdate on Exit", as this will update the Archive Invalidation file each time you close OBMM. I only install mods with OBMM, so this is quite useful for me. If you want a full explanation of what the different settings do, click HERE.

Let me know if you have any further questions ;)

Regards,

GRC

HO! thanks, I'll try that right away, i'll post if it worked or not.

I came into the oblivion world slowly, but now I realize... using a complete set of Oblivion to play mods and modding, is one of the more complex things I've done to play videogames. All errors, incompatibilities, needed tools, many problems... But worth it. For me, no doubt.

dokurochan07, good luck.

No mods seem to be working' date=' I was triying the cute orcs one and a texture mod, i installed the two of them and there was no change in the game, :/ could someone give me a mod easier to install or more basic? thanks to all.

[/quote']

Just as Gregathit said, if you've followed those tutorials we'll need a little more information to help you further.

Err' date=' I just use "Archive Invalidation-Invalidated" with goty and it seems to work fine...

[/quote']

I haven't used AI-Invalidated in several years, mostly because I don't think I ever got it to work properly, instead I wrote it by hand. I was happily surprised when I discovered OBMM has the same function, one which actually worked (for me). Now I convert all the mods I use to OBMM mods before installing them, makes uninstallations much easier and smoother, the conflict detection is also a nice bonus.

Archived