Oh my... TES5Edit is FOSS?

prideslayer

Not sure when that happened or why I didn't notice, but I've been pining away for the FNVEdit source for quite a while. Then ElminsterAU "retired" I sent a PM asking if he'd release it and did not get a response.

There was an update to FNVEdit in October, with a link to (and thanks from) the TES5Edit team for their contributions so I thought this meant the source was now available. It's not, but the TES5Edit source is, and I'm wondering how much work would be required to backport it to a new FNVEdit.

The source for TES5Dump is available, and IIRC, it understands all the formats including FO3/FONV, not just TES5, so things may not be as difficult as they first appeared.

Bad news for all (or most) of you but good news for me, it's Delphi code. Before I was paid to be a halfassed programmer writing in scripting languages like PHP and Perl, Delphi and x86 asm were how I earned my living. I don't really actually know C# or C/C++, the languages of FOMM and NVSE/NX -- just enough to get by and help everyone's game crash a bit more often.

Has anyone else poked around with these tools or their source? It's here: http://code.google.com/p/skyrim-plugin-decoding-project/source/browse/#svn%2FTES5Edit%2Ftrunk

FOSS as Fallout BOSS ? No absolutly not :)

And by the way TES5Edit sources ARE FNVEdit sources ! Switching game is done by renaming or parameter passing.

For the released FNVEdit there is still a dependency on a commercial product, but you can build the 'LiteVersion' that uses Jedi component as replacement and is otherwise identical.

FOSS as in "Free and Open Source Softare".

In other words, TES5Edit and View are released under the MPL, meaning you can take the sourcecode and do whatever you like with it.

Been a while since I visted JEDI but I don't mind, and may be willing to buy whatever the commercial component is (or may already have it).

Archived