(Resolved) Is it okay to ask for commissions?

milku

Sorry to ask, but the rules weren't really clear. Is it okay to try to find quotes from mod artists here who might take a commission for a custom mod on this forum? I mean, I'd just request it like anyone else, but what I really want is really niche and probably only desired by me. I feel like I might be dead and rotting in a grave before someone actually gets around to doing it. And since this is a community of talented people, I want to be generous and give some of my money to those talented people while getting some of their amazing craft back.

Obviously, if the consensus on that is no, I will be compliant and take my query elsewhere without a peep. I promise. I'm just curious.

Edit: Ashal has answered my question as follows:

Or you can just read the rules which clearly state what you can and cannot do  :P

Rule 12
We are a free and open community; members requiring payment for mods, support, or putting anything behind a paywall will be removed without warning. Donation buttons/links to support an author is fine, so long as nothing is promised, given, or rewarded other than a sense of satisfaction for supporting an author or owner of content. 

So you can commission a modder to do something for you BUT YOU CANNOT PAY THEM for it. Except with your undying love, hugs and kisses  :)

That just means you can't require payment for content. If somebody wants to commission a modder/artist to make something, that's their business and they are free to do as such, so long as they don't then take that content once finished and require payment from others to use it. 

So yeah. Commissions. They're awesome. Everyone should commission an artist when they have the cash to spare.

I guess before offerering money and saying you probably are the only one requesting a certain kind of mod, it is better by far to simply post your idea/reguest. Maybe you'll get surprised and there are others wanting exactly the same thing or maybe even actually create  such a thing already.

I guess before offerering money and saying you probably are the only one requesting a certain kind of mod, it is better by far to simply post your idea/reguest. Maybe you'll get surprised and there are others wanting exactly the same thing or maybe even actually create  such a thing already.

You say that as though 'offering money' and funding artists isn't a good thing! haha. (well as the case may be, the residents here might not want money... such is the point of my thread I suppose)

I definitely believe in 'asking first', and you're right: it can produce surprising results. But I'm confident that this is one thing that I'm just going to have to buckle up and try and get made myself by the local talent. I've poked around in other communities, and left my humble request here and there, but there haven't been takers.

To reiterate, I don't want to wait for years for this to get made. So! I'm going to take initiative and try to fund it myself using the spare money I have. [frytakemymoney.jpg] 

But nothing can stop you to PM your favorite modder for confidential businesses. Away from public and the tyranny of majority.

Very true!  :)

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I'm guessing from the widely positive feedback, and lack of divine intervention, that I could probably get away with asking about custom commissions if I moseyed over to the FNV board, but I guess I'll hold out until a mod actually posts and confirms it for real.

Or you can just read the rules which clearly state what you can and cannot do :P

Rule 12

We are a free and open community; members requiring payment for mods, support, or putting anything behind a paywall will be removed without warning. Donation buttons/links to support an author is fine, so long as nothing is promised, given, or rewarded other than a sense of satisfaction for supporting an author or owner of content. 

So you can commission a modder to do something for you BUT YOU CANNOT PAY THEM for it. Except with your undying love, hugs and kisses :)

Or you can just read the rules which clearly state what you can and cannot do :P

Rule 12

So you can commission a modder to do something for you BUT YOU CANNOT PAY THEM for it. Except with your undying love, hugs and kisses :)

Or donation.

Rule 12

That just means you can't require payment for content. If somebody wants to commission a modder/artist to make something, that's their business and they are free to do as such, so long as they don't then take that content once finished and require payment from others to use it. 

Rule 12

That just means you can't require payment for content. If somebody wants to commission a modder/artist to make something, that's their business and they are free to do as such, so long as they don't then take that content once finished and require payment from others to use it. 

Word of god! Thank you very much Ashal; I assumed this was the case, but the wording of that rule confused me. I had hoped this wouldn't be some weird community where artists have to offer mods for free forever and can't even think about getting fiscal compensation for their work haha.

Having cleared that up, I'm going to scoot my butt right on over to the FNV board and cast my lure. :) Thanks again guys.

Oh just a tip :)

It would be best if you leave the title as it was amd place [Resolved] in front of it. That way people can find the answer again in the future.

You don't have to but its an idea as this question will most likely appear again :)

That's a good idea. I will edit it, thanks!

Archived