New computer, new problems.

koocamunga

Got a new comp and threw in the HD from my old one in as a secondary. Try to run Oblivion from the 2nd HD and it runs...somewhat. OBMM deactivated all the mods and reactivating them causes instant CTD through OBSE. disable all cept the Oblivion.ESM and the game runs, but as soon as you go into the world it C'sTD. The launcher does not detect any data files and when i try to uninstall, i get this.

This has me stumped as I've never seen this happen before, and the files were not altered in any way as far as I know. Any ideas? TY

Did you reinstall oblivion? If not then it isn't set in your current registry and won't work correctly.

If you have a bunch of mods and you don't want to go through the painful process of reinstalling then just rename your existing oblivion folder to oblivion1 and then install oblivion again to your 2nd hd. Once it has finished installing then you can rename it to oblivion2 and change the oblivion1 folder (your old install) back to oblivion and you should be good to go.

If everything works then you can delete oblivion2.

EDIT: be sure to run oblivion one time after installing before changing the folder names so it will generate the oblivion.ini in you documents\mygames\oblivion folder

Did you reinstall oblivion? If not then it isn't set in your current registry and won't work correctly.

If you have a bunch of mods and you don't want to go through the painful process of reinstalling then just rename your existing oblivion folder to oblivion1 and then install oblivion again to your 2nd hd. Once it has finished installing then you can rename it to oblivion2 and change the oblivion1 folder (your old install) back to oblivion and you should be good to go.

If everything works then you can delete oblivion2.

EDIT: be sure to run oblivion one time after installing before changing the folder names so it will generate the oblivion.ini in you documents\mygames\oblivion folder

Tried and it didn't work. At least this time it saw the Oblivion.ESM but did not see any other mods. Running the game crashes mid loading of a saved game. Would it be possible to reinstall to my new HD, then dump my backup of the data folder into it? I don't see why it would not work but I could be wrong.

*Also, I noticed something strange. When I looked into the new folder Oblivion installed, the meshes, textures, music, etc. folders were not folders. They were instead .BSA files. In fact, all of my Skyrim files are in .BSA format as well...is this normal or is windows 7 premium doing funky stuff?

Nope, bsa is normal for Beth. This is their compressed format version for all the meshes\textures\sounds. :)

As to dumping your old oblivion into your new - yea that should work fine, but no guarantees so use the copy function and not move. But remember if you are running Vista or Win7 DON'T install oblivion into the default directory (the programs file) as UAC will give you fits!!!! :(

Nope' date=' bsa is normal for Beth. This is their compressed format version for all the meshes\textures\sounds. :)

As to dumping your old oblivion into your new - yea that should work fine, but no guarantees so use the copy function and not move. But remember if you are running Vista or Win7 DON'T install oblivion into the default directory (the programs file) as UAC will give you fits!!!! :(

[/quote']

I'll try it out in a bit, as far as the BSA files I thought it was odd because upon my previous installations of Oblivion all of the files were folders and not in the BSA format.

Archived