Possible confluence of FNIS, SEXLAB and/or NMM issues preventing installation

Golgo13

I originally posted something about my problem installing the Sexlab framework without FNIS returning an "ERROR(57): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" message in that mod's technical support thread.  I apologize if this is some breach of protocol-- I don't want two threads up for the same issue, but, I don't believe that I have the authority to take down my other one, and I wanted to open this up to people who might not just be looking at Sexlab-- this might be a problem with FNIS or even NMM.  With my now suspecting that the problem may be caused by any one, a combination of two, or all three mods conspiring together, I wanted to ask here.

NMM is the only program/mod I haven't scrubbed from my computer 5+ times since Friday trying to resolve this issue: I deleted all of my Cloud saves and Skyrim directories, emptied my Recycle Bin, and cleaned and reformatted my registry 5-6 times since then.  I tried uninstalling and substituting other miscellaneous mods many other times in addition to that (including adopting the body model I'm currently using in place of the BBP UNP Bodyslide body I used in previous games).  I even tried following the literal instructions of dumping the Sexlab files directly into the Data folder without NMM-- which meant that I had to painstakingly remove each file, individually, when I received the same error message after running FNIS, thereafter.   NMM isn't returning any error messages, however, and seems to be working normally, as far I know how to determine.  So, it seems rather far fetched that I should need to uninstall/reinstall NMM.  I'd do it, anyway, like I'm trying everything else, except that I've had bad luck in the past with mod managers uninstalling cleanly, so, I won't try that unless someone actually advises it.

In more detail, the FNIS installation instructions direct one to "Download with Manager."  But, with the first file, when I click on that button, the NMM window comes to the fore as if something is going to be downloaded there; but, nothing is.  I didn't have that problem when I used version 3.5.0-- just with this new "experimental" version (which, albeit "experimental," is still required to run the latest incarnation of Sexlab).  With no other way around it, I went down to the "extended manual installation instructions" and followed those.

The installation was apparently successful, and comes back with:

FNIS Behavior V4.1 Experimental   11/25/2013 10:59:31 PM
Skyrim: 1.9.32.0 - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim (Steam)
Generator: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users
Skeleton female: XPMS (242 bones)   male: XPMS (242 bones)
Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix"

Reading FNIS ...
Reading FNISBase ...
Reading FNISCreatureVersion ...
Reading FNISSpells ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files...
Converting Behavior Files (.xml to .hkx) ...

Create Creature Behaviors ...

459 animations for 4 mods successfully included (characters)

When I install Sexlab, however, it comes back with this:

FNIS Behavior V4.1 Experimental   11/25/2013 11:03:49 PM
Generator: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users

Reading FNIS ...
Reading FNISBase ...
Reading FNISSpells ...
Reading SexLab ...
Reading SexLabCreature ...

ERROR(57): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

Although the manual FNIS installation appeared to be successful, something screwy is going on here, and I have no idea what.  Whatever caused the first file to refuse to "Download with Manager" may be causing my current problem-- although that could be FNIS or even NMM. 

I'm just completely out of ideas, and thoroughly exasperated.  I started a new game to try the different mods, and they're all dependent upon Sexlab installing without error messages from FNIS.  At least I had SD working in my old game.

For purposes of completion, this was the load order when I gave up (I can't figure out where the "spoiler" button went, so I don't appear able to "hide" it):

GameMode=Skyrim

Skyrim.esm=1
Update.esm=1
Dawnguard.esm=1
HearthFires.esm=1
Dragonborn.esm=1
ApachiiHair.esm=1
ApachiiHairMales.esm=1
ApachiiHairFemales.esm=1
SPIKE.esm=1
HighResTexturePack01.esp=1
HighResTexturePack02.esp=1
HighResTexturePack03.esp=1
FNISspells.esp=1
Auto Unequip Ammo.esp=1
SkyUI.esp=1
RaceMenu.esp=1
RaceMenuPlugin.esp=1
DraugrSkirts.esp=1
Better Dynamic Snow.esp=1
When Vampires Attack.esp=1
Qasmoke Travel Spell.esp=1
Angelic_Demonic.esp=1
calyps-animal-ears.esp=1
StarExpandedJewelry.esp=1
NewmillerPiercings2.esp=1
NewmillerPiercings3.esp=1
RingOFNighteye.esp=1
hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp=1
Field Mage FX117.esp=1
Earrings Set1.esp=1
daedric_phelm.esp=1
SuccubusByNausicaa.esp=1
Marriable Serana.esp=1
Marriable Serana HF.esp=1
DudestiaOutfitChanger.esp=1
mslVampiricThirst.esp=1
Remove Interior Fog V2 - Full Version.esp=1
Run For Your Lives.esp=1

There aren't any in-game errors to report, since I never even get through the installation stage of a brand new game.  Hence, I don't believe that I have anything else I can provide.

Again, I feel stupid having two threads up in two different locations; but, I don't know how to get rid of the other one now that I suspect that Sexlab may not even be the actual issue (not that I understand enough of this to create an informed opinion). 

Did you install FNIS Behaviors 4.0.2 first then install FNIS Behavior 4.1 Experimental on top of that? If you installed the 4.1 experimental on top of an earlier version of FNIS it would probably cause this code. 4.1 is a patch and is supposed to be installed after 4.0.2 it sounds like it may be possible that you installed 4.1 patch to 3.5 version instead.

Edit: If you are still having problems the current version of SexLab only requires version 4.0.2 to work. The 4.1 patch is to solve problems with some users having CTD's issues.

I installed 4.1 when 4.02 kept giving me the error, so-- grasping at straws-- I thought that 4.1 might help.

I installed 4.02 over absolutely nothing.

My post-3.5.0 install was absolutely clean, from no Skyrim folders and a clean registry.

I should clarify that the file that I couldn't "Download with Manager" was the 4.02 FNIS Behavior Files, in case that helps, which it may, since it was the reason I had to do the manual installation in the first place.

[i'm getting punchy editing this post, and all of my typing, lately-- I'm compulsive about completing tasks, and getting this program to work properly has been interrupting my sleep since Friday.]

I installed 4.1 when 4.02 kept giving me the error, so-- grasping at straws-- I thought that 4.1 might help.

I installed 4.02 over absolutely nothing.

Oh well thats all I have fore is pretty good with support give him some time and he will probably run across this post if no one else is able to give you a good answer.

Well for starters, you shouldn't install Skyrim into your Program Files folder. That's just bad all around. Install Steam to C:\ and that's it. Get it out of your Program Files, cause that will cause you issues regardless. Never install your games to Program Files. Any games that don't use Steam, install to your C:\Games\ folder. And keep Steam installed in C:\Steam\. Or if you use an external drive, install Steam there if you want. Just don't install your games in Program Files. Windows is a jerk about that.

But back to the main issue, FNIS should always be installed manually to avoid any issues. I never use the Download with Manager button as that can sometimes mess up your mods. Download everything manually, save it to a folder, and install it yourself. You're probably going to need to do an entire reinstall of Steam any ways to get it out of Program Files, so make sure when you install FNIS, you get the main file and the creature addon. Don't worry about the beta as it is not necessary at the moment.

Hope that helps. I know I just gave you some bad news, but in the end it is worth it. :P

@ TnTTnT:  In all other cases (and, ultimately, I had to do so in this one, as well), I do download to my Mod archive-- it saves me time waiting for downloads when I do my frequent, complete overhauls of hopelessly f***-ed up games.  With most mods, I then either install with NMM, install them by dropping their component parts into the proper locations, or use their components to make other mods work, as the occasion requires. 

FNIS is the only program I've ever "Downloaded with Manager," since, unlike most mods, it actually appears to recommend against manual installation, is rather finicky in my experience and, if something went wrong, I didn't intend to let it be for something as basic as my inability to follow the plainest, simplest instructions.  But, when that installation method didn't work, I fell back on the manual installation instructions.  It appeared to cause the mod to work, but, obviously, it prevents NMM from recognizing it among my installed mods and, when things began going maddeningly wrong, I wasn't sure if that might not somehow be involved.

@ SpyderArachnid:  Actually, any news that really gets things to work would be good news-- I have no problems doing whatever I need to do to get something done; it just pisses me off when I do everything I can think of and I still can't get it to work.  But, I'll be bitterly disappointed if, after all of this, I still get this f***ing error. 

I'd let Steam install itself to the location it chose by default when I was installing it for the first time since, unless anyone advises me otherwise, I'm usually apprehensive that there might be an issue of which I could be unaware that might arise from installing programs I don't thoroughly understand in locations other than their default.  Moreover, whenever one sees installation descriptions in mods (as in FNIS, for instance: "Drag and drop the <temp_dir>/Data folder into your Skyrim installation directory (usually C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/skyrim)."), the installation location is where I currently have it.  But, if you advise me to move it, it obviously must be safe to do so, and I'm trying anything at this point, so I will.

This also means moving my perfectly-functioning, thoroughly modded-out FONV game out of the Steam folder, then into the relocated Steam folder when I'm done.  Please tell me that this isn't going to f*** up the way that anything is currently functioning....

FNIS is the only program I've ever "Downloaded with Manager," since, unlike most mods, it actually appears to recommend against manual installation, is rather finicky in my experience and, if something went wrong, I didn't intend to let it be for something as basic as my inability to follow the plainest,

For me, installation using NMM whether using "Downloaded with Manager" or manually download are considered mod manager installation - not manual installation.

FYI, I never has any problem with installation or upgrade FNIS with NMM.

FNIS is the only program I've ever "Downloaded with Manager," since, unlike most mods, it actually appears to recommend against manual installation, is rather finicky in my experience and, if something went wrong, I didn't intend to let it be for something as basic as my inability to follow the plainest,

For me, installation using NMM whether using "Downloaded with Manager" or manually download are considered mod manager installation - not manual installation.

FYI, I never has any problem with installation or upgrade FNIS with NMM.

NMM has worked for everything I have installed so far, FNIS included.

@TnTTnT:  For FNIS, the manual installation method is to extract all three files, merge them into a single Data folder, and manually drop that into the Skyrim directory without using NMM.

* That is, if one explicitly follows the directions, which I have, to avoid issues beyond my ken.

It hadn't even occurred to me to install the mod in a manner contrary to the explicit instructions... although, I suppose that it couldn't hurt to try that....

**  *Sigh*  I installed it all through NMM; but, I still receive the exact, same error.

FNIS Behavior V4.0.2   11/27/2013 2:38:01 AM

Reading FNIS ...
Reading FNISBase ...
Reading FNISSpells ...
Reading SexLab ...

ERROR(57): The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

[Obviously, I haven't tried moving things directly to the C: drive, yet.  I have a bad migraine from being so over-tired, so I'm not feeling overly ambitious. atm.  I wish I could stop obssessing over solving this so I could get some decent sleep. :dodgy: ]

Hope you can solve the problem soon.  I never have such strange issue.

I think you may try this already but this is what I can think about now.

1. Check that you have administrator rights

2. Start generateFNIS after reboot (to ensure no other program access the file)

3. Disable antivirus

4. Use task manager to view the process list when such problem occur

@TnTTnT:  Thanks.   It actually cheered me up a bit to read your post, just to see the encouragement.  :)

The only thing I really haven't tried on your list is disabling the antivirus, although I'm not sure why that would interfere with the creature files.

Since the error message appears to indicate that another process, apart from FNIS, is using Sexlab Creature, what do you think I should look for on the Task Manager process list?  What, other than FNIS, could POSSIBLY want access to it?  I always closed NMM before running FNIS, just in case it could be interpreted as "using" it.  I still do, but, I overlooked that, once (it was hiding behind some other windows), and it didn't appear to change a blessed thing; so, I'm pretty sure that I can rule it out as the culprit, anyway. 

Is there anywhere that any process that could want access to Sexlab Creature could be concealed, avoiding deletion all of these times?  If I delete all saves from the Cloud, all Skyrim folders, empty the Recycle Bin and clean the registry, is there anywhere else for one of these processes to hide?

Tell me how much sense this makes:

I'd followed every instruction, including moving my steam directory directly to C:\, and I was still getting:

FNIS Behavior V4.0.2   11/28/2013 8:32:45 PM
Skyrim: 1.9.32.0 - c:\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim (Steam)
Generator: C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users

Reading FNIS ...
Reading FNISBase ...
Reading FNISSpells ...
Reading SexLab ...

I felt like killing somebody, if it would do any good... but, it was just happening, for no reason.  Even though it was basically impossible to tell what was going on, I just started hitting the "Update FNIS" button over and over with the Task Manager open, trying to see if I could spot what processes would sprout inside the columns of incomprehensible characters during the brief moments during which the mod executed.  After about the twentieth time I clicked "Update FNIS," it actually came back with:

Skyrim: 1.9.32.0 - c:\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim (Steam)
Generator: C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users

Reading FNIS ...
Reading FNISBase ...
Reading FNISSpells ...
Reading SexLab ...

1135 animations for 6 mods successfully included (characters)
 225 animations for 1 mods and 16 creatures successfully included.

It never would have occurred to me to just spam the button until it worked.  Could anyone please tell me what could be wrong with this damned computer to cause such unreliable behavior?

Hhmmm, at work we've run into issues where the OS would lock files.  Turns out it was Windows locking the file during the indexing process.  With indexing turned on, anytime a file was added (like NMM downloading the file), moved, etc, the indexing would lock the file for an extended period, preventing opening or further moving of the file.  Maybe it's something in your windows OS (like indexing) locking the file for an extended period.  Also, someone mentioned that your virus scanner might be doing it as well (just like I did in the other thread you posted about the same thing).  In a previous you noted that you haven't tried disabling the virus scanner yet - did you ever give that a try?

Archived