First time modding NV & using MO2 too. Need some understanding.

I'm used to modding Skyrim LE/SE & Fallout 4 with Nexus Mod Manager & Oblivion with OBMM. But now I'm trying my hand at New Vegas & by using Mod Organizer 2 for the first time since I'd like to try transitioning away from NMM for future games & will never attempt Vortex. My goal here is to fix up the classic Bethesda-ness of its games as well as add all the lewd shiet this site great for that my other games already got. 

Problem is MO2 really weird for me, like not having physical files in the game folder to start with. I'm following this guide to get Sexout stuff working since apparently the pinned one in the Sexout section is supposedly older & people have warned me away from FOMM unlike when I got to Oblivion with OBMM. I would like someone to confirm for me I'm doing this right & answer some questions about stuff I'm having issues with.

1. To make mods overwrite each other, is it as simple as making sure the load order priority is correct similar to NMM or are there extra steps? I've simply been installing the mods simply through the manager & checking them active in the left window & leaving it at that, it has not say popped up a window asking me to confirm any overwrites like NMM does. So far mods like MCM & others are working, but not sure how it will work for mods that need to overwrite each other like body mods, texture mods, etc. (Yes Archive Invalidation from MO2 is active)

2. If I want to manually overwrite a specific file from a mod with something else like I do with the physical files in my Skyrims (example: a different creature body than Skyrim's MNC or a different body for a custom NPC besides what it came with), is that possible with MO2 despite it all being virtual files?

3. Some mods like New Vegas Anti Crash say to check if it installed properly by checking for a log file it generates but it doesn't generate one for me in either the mod folder MO2 has or the game's folder. Game played fine for an hour of screwing around though so not sure what to do about it.

4. Is the Nexus API stuff MO2 has necessary? It keeps popping out errors about me not doing that stuff yet but I download all mods manually anyways before chucking them into managers so I just don't see the need.

^So far the only questions I can come up with right now as I haven't gotten to Sexout stuff, body & texture mods or anything else game changing yet. Would appreciate any help I can get as MO2 is making me feel like a baby modder again lmao

Current load order: modlist.txt (weird its in reverse lmao)

Edited by LesboIsBesto

1: On the left pane you can see overwriting and being overwritten (virtually). the mods at the bottom overwrite the mods above it, if they have the exact same folder/file

MO2 overwriting stuff.jpg

(hope the image works)

If you change the order on the left pane, you can make the previously overwritten mod, overwrite the other mod instead, without having to uninstall-reinstall

2. See above

3. Files generated by running the game, will by default place the files in the red 'Overwrite' folder in the left pane.

4. If enabled, whenever you download a mod 'through manager' from the nexussite, MO2 will download it in the downloads tab on the right side. Also in MO2, when checking for updates, it will check Nexusmods for updates for mods. Lastly if you rightclick a mod from NexusMods in the left pane, you can choose to 'Visit Nexuspage' and it will bring you straight to the download page.

-----------

Modlist review:

I don't know what MLF is, but  otherwise it looks great so far. Your next step would be getting the nude bodies and Skeleton. Just make sure in the left pane thatNOTHING overwrites the skeleton.  ie. place/move the skeleton mod to the bottom each time you add mods.

---------

PS. thank you for using my guide

PPS. If anybody wonders why I have disabled mods and mods that are completely overwritten by stuff. This is my test-profile and I sometimes test my mods for older versions of TaleOfTwoWastelands etc.

Edited by dborg2
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, dborg2 said:

1: On the left pane you can see overwriting and being overwritten (virtually). the mods at the bottom overwrite the mods above it, if they have the exact same folder/file

MO2 overwriting stuff.jpg

(hope the image works)

If you change the order on the left pane, you can make the previously overwritten mod, overwrite the other mod instead, without having to uninstall-reinstall

2. See above

3. Files generated by running the game, will by default place the files in the red 'Overwrite' folder in the left pane.

4. If enabled, whenever you download a mod 'through manager' from the nexussite, MO2 will download it in the downloads tab on the right side. Also in MO2, when checking for updates, it will check Nexusmods for updates for mods. Lastly if you rightclick a mod from NexusMods in the left pane, you can choose to 'Visit Nexuspage' and it will bring you straight to the download page.

-----------

Modlist review:

I don't know what MLF is, but  otherwise it looks great so far. Your next step would be getting the nude bodies and Skeleton. Just make sure in the left pane thatNOTHING overwrites the skeleton.  ie. place/move the skeleton mod to the bottom each time you add mods.

---------

PS. thank you for using my guide

PPS. If anybody wonders why I have disabled mods and mods that are completely overwritten by stuff. This is my test-profile and I sometimes test my mods for older versions of TaleOfTwoWastelands etc.

1. image is working, im just not seeing that "partially overwritten" message so i have no clue if its working or not & how to make sure it is.

2. just to specify, i mean like for example if I want all the files of mod "A" EXCEPT for say a body nif so I can use the body nif of mod  "B", how doable is it? I see partially overwritten in the image but no clue how to do it

3. i dont have a red folder. prolly cuz of all dat^ with overwrite options not appearing.

MLF is Mod Limit Fix, to fix some bug involving the plugin limit for NV. And yea I heard bout the skeleton, im putting it off til i get this overwrite stuff more clear. am also checking out the Viva New Vegas guide since it has some of these mods I already got plus more before I get into Sexout & stuff (cant believe BodySlide & CBBE compatible with dis game lmao)

EDIT: k im dumb its just cuz I havent actually installed anything that can overwrite each other until I got BNB & NV Compatible Skeleton so now the overwrite stuff appears (no red folder doe). still would like to know how to set mods to only partially overwrite, especially if I wanna do it via a specific loose file

Edited by LesboIsBesto
6 hours ago, LesboIsBesto said:

1. image is working, im just not seeing that "partially overwritten" message so i have no clue if its working or not & how to make sure it is.

2. just to specify, i mean like for example if I want all the files of mod "A" EXCEPT for say a body nif so I can use the body nif of mod  "B", how doable is it? I see partially overwritten in the image but no clue how to do it

3. i dont have a red folder. prolly cuz of all dat^ with overwrite options not appearing.

MLF is Mod Limit Fix, to fix some bug involving the plugin limit for NV. And yea I heard bout the skeleton, im putting it off til i get this overwrite stuff more clear. am also checking out the Viva New Vegas guide since it has some of these mods I already got plus more before I get into Sexout & stuff (cant believe BodySlide & CBBE compatible with dis game lmao)

EDIT: k im dumb its just cuz I havent actually installed anything that can overwrite each other until I got BNB & NV Compatible Skeleton so now the overwrite stuff appears (no red folder doe). still would like to know how to set mods to only partially overwrite, especially if I wanna do it via a specific loose file

1. It's the lightning bolt icons.  since it's virtual, no files are actually overwritten, but the files that are the same in the mods, only the lowest mod in the installation order will load it's file.

2. Place mod 'B' lower in the installation list as mod 'A'. if both mods follow the same folder structure "A"'s body file will not be loaded, only "B"s.

3. "Overwrite" is always the mod at the bottom of the installation order, so it overwrites everything.

4. OK. didn't know it was shortened to MLF. I use that mod too, though not needing it for a while. Mod limit without  MLF is 135-ish plugins,  with MLF is <how much the script/animation engines can handle>. Unless using really small mods, you won't reach the maximum of 254 plugins, before one of the engines poops.

5. See image belowimage.png

you can double click it, to see it's contents. it can also have the 'overwrites something' lightning bolt.

You can also rightclick Overwrite and tell MO2 to make it's content a new 'official' mod.

- it will ask a name and create a folder, and dump the current content into that folder

- Usefull when using mod altering tools, like Bodyslide (to create meshes), MergePlugins (to merge mods <-- don't use unless expert) etc.

Explanation of 'Partially overwrite'. I wasn't clear in this and caused confusion.

Example. We have 3 mods: A adds body textures : B adds body textures and a skeleton : C adds a skeleton

A has a lightningbolt-red minus or grey lightningbolt -- is overwritten  (A is overwritten by B.)

B: has a lightningbolt-red minus and green plus - it overwrites A but C overwrites B      <---- partially overwritten

C has a lightningbolt-green plus as it overwrites B

---Result. I use the body of B and the skeleton of C

in my previous image

Maternity Pack Overkill Update is overwritten by TTW3.2 (and perhaps more mods)

TTW 3.2 is overwritten by TTW 3.2.1

TTW 3.2.1 is overwritten by TTW 3.2.2

And the JIP LN NVSE Plugin is completely overwritten by a mod lower in the installation order (Not in image).

Edited by dborg2