Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, vaultbait said:

However, placing impassable objects in the middle of a navmesh without making cutouts can cause navigation problems for NPCs (and altering navmeshes to add cutouts can result in conflicts with other mods that alter the same navmeshes). Users tend to not care as much about that though.

I did place all of the furniture next to walls or edges and tried my best not to interfere with patrol markers of npcs, that being said if someone will encounter buggy places - please report them, I will fix them 

Edited by HeavyYoungHeathens
10 minutes ago, HeavyYoungHeathens said:

I did place all of the furniture next to walls or edges and tried my best not to interfere with patrol markers of npcs, that being sad if someone will encounter buggy places - please report them, I will fix them 

Good to know, thanks! And yes, hand-placement is the best you can hope for without opting into navmesh conflicts (which also aren't the end of the world, but better avoided when at all possible).

It's all cleverly placed to avoid navigation problems in almost its entirety. I've been testing it and it's great, in the future I'd like to make a compatibility patch with Commonwealth Slavers and I'll take care of putting slaves occupying the furnitures.

Unfortunately, it would only be compatible with my mod, as I have specific conditions (slaves cannot be released unless the player gets the True Ending, in which case all slaves will disappear). 

By the way, I read "milk stations", but I'm not sure if these are in Fallout. What would that furniture be? 

7 hours ago, JB. said:

It's all cleverly placed to avoid navigation problems in almost its entirety. I've been testing it and it's great, in the future I'd like to make a compatibility patch with Commonwealth Slavers and I'll take care of putting slaves occupying the furnitures.

Unfortunately, it would only be compatible with my mod, as I have specific conditions (slaves cannot be released unless the player gets the True Ending, in which case all slaves will disappear). 

By the way, I read "milk stations", but I'm not sure if these are in Fallout. What would that furniture be? 

If you are asking what are milk stations, I mean sucker chairs from torture devices, they are quite rare but you can find them at Shamrock  Taphouse, Laytown Towers, Kendall Hospital, Poseidon Energy plant, DB Tech Highschool and Federal Ration stockpile, usually they have a table or boxes with empty milk bottles next to them 

If you are asking if its lore-fiendly then absolutely not) Thats why i used them rather sparingly in comparison to other furniture

1 hour ago, HeavyYoungHeathens said:

If you are asking what are milk stations, I mean sucker chairs from torture devices, they are quite rare but you can find them at Shamrock  Taphouse, Laytown Towers, Kendall Hospital, Poseidon Energy plant, DB Tech Highschool and Federal Ration stockpile, usually they have a table or boxes with empty milk bottles next to them 

Oh, I'm interested in using them in the future, that's why I was asking. Thanks. I must say that even with all these years there are things I didn't know about, like Crazy furniture, which I'm discovering with your mod.

On 3/12/2024 at 3:52 PM, vaultbait said:

However, placing impassable objects in the middle of a navmesh without making cutouts can cause navigation problems for NPCs (and altering navmeshes to add cutouts can result in conflicts with other mods that alter the same navmeshes). Users tend to not care as much about that though.

Now that the cause of the interior navcut bug has finally been identified and fixed, it should be safe to use navcut boxes rather than manually editing the navmesh in these areas.

13 minutes ago, vaultbait said:

Great point! I should remember to stop avoiding them in my mods now.

Its probably still a good idea to link the fix on any mods that use them, at least for the near future. I know the Sim Settlements guys are pushing awareness of the fix but I'm sure lots of people don't know about it yet.

On 3/12/2024 at 12:10 PM, HeavyYoungHeathens said:

Ideally it would be nice to see a patch for commonwealth captives in the future, i will message EgoBallistic after he will be done with the massive project he is working on to see if something like this will be possible. For now you can use the Commonwealth Captives mod, it will add some NPCs next to raiders, however they will be bound in their own furniture you allowed in MCM. 

I will take a look at doing this.  A while back I played around with putting tied up captives on any existing beds that were in the location where the captives spawn; the logic for this would be similar.  I'll need to tweak the code so that CC doesn't try to disable the devices after they despawn the way it does with its own devices, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I also second the recommendation to use navcut boxes around any large items you add to these cells.  It obviously helps with NPC navigation, and mods like CC that use GetSafePosition() to spawn large objects will benefit.  GetSafePosition() looks at the navmesh to find open spaces, so if your mod places objects without updating the navmesh then there's a risk CC might spawn a device in the same spot.

I have added code to Commonwealth Captives to populate these devices.  Testing looks good so far:

20240315165847_1.jpg

The new code looks for any existing devices and will spawn captives in them.  Once it has run out of existing devices it uses the original logic, which is to try to find a spot for a new device and put the captive in that, and if that fails just place the captive on the ground.  Spawning behavior is the same as before: only as many captives will spawn as there are enemies in the location, and captives will disappear when the area unloads.  This means you won't see captives in locations that have been cleared.

22 minutes ago, EgoBallistic said:

The new code looks for any existing devices and will spawn captives in them.

Awesome! I guess it occupies the furniture too so that it won't get doubly-used by NPC sandboxing packages? Did you end up including beds in the search?

1 hour ago, vaultbait said:

Awesome! I guess it occupies the furniture too so that it won't get doubly-used by NPC sandboxing packages? Did you end up including beds in the search?

When I was playtesting raiders constantly were hopping into those crosses out of boredom, so I’ve fixed by adding “Ignored by Sandbox” check to all of the added furniture, so in theory NPC using them shouldn’t be possible :) 

4 minutes ago, georgechalkias said:

Sort of like Autonomy enhanced but for captives in your mod.

NPC to NPC scenes is one of the weaknesses of AAF imo, primarily because of how sounds are bound to specific animations -  everyone will sound the same which can lead to some weirdness. Secondly, if you shoot NOC while he is in scene it can lead to some problems as well, so I doubt that it is a priority 

27 minutes ago, georgechalkias said:

You think you could make it so that raiders automatically 'violate' the captives in your mod (once the compatibility patch comes out)? Sort of like Autonomy enhanced but for captives in your mod. 

What's the problem with autonomy? It still works great now. If you want, you can use a sniper rifle to monitor the raider camp. In the settings, you can set a long distance and a short time and observe. In Flashy's mod "Crime and Punishment" there is an opportunity to disguise yourself as a raider, and then you can safely walk around the camp.

What I think would be more immersive is more replicas of the raiders and captives. Knowing how modders hate being told what they should or shouldn't do, I'll keep quiet. ...But I have an idea... aren't there already mods that change raider lines? Possibly, the replicas of those you want can be changed in them. I do this sometimes, instead of translating from English to Bulgarian, I put completely different subtitles. The problem here is that captives have no lines until they are released.

The mod is very nice, just wonderful and thank you for it.
Thank you for not including violence, blood, dismembered bodies. Personally, I (and I guess others) don't like it. I prefer to think of this place as a slave market rather than a torture chamber.

22 minutes ago, vranina said:

The mod is very nice, just wonderful and thank you for it.
Thank you for not including violence, blood, dismembered bodies. Personally, I (and I guess others) don't like it. I prefer to think of this place as a slave market rather than a torture chamber.

Thank you! :) 

2 hours ago, georgechalkias said:

You think you could make it so that raiders automatically 'violate' the captives in your mod (once the compatibility patch comes out)? Sort of like Autonomy enhanced but for captives in your mod. 

Autonomy already allows raiders to violate Commonwealth Captives.  

17 hours ago, vaultbait said:

Yeah the furniture is occupied like normal so other NPCs won't use it.  I also kept the behavior that marks the furniture as "destroyed" when you free the captive so it won't get used by their sandbox packages, I hate that.

I haven't done beds, I might do that later on though.

I need to do a little more testing then I'll release the CC update.

I uploaded a new version of Commonwealth Captives that includes the compatibility feature I described above.  I ended up not marking furniture "destroyed" if it wasn't placed by CC, to avoid problems if you revisit the cell later.

If you encounter problems with CC and this mod's devices, please post about it in my thread.

7 hours ago, vranina said:

Exactly.

Just don't go to Hardware Town. 

It's the wildest thing I've encountered so far.  😬

Spoiler

Photo560.png.a21628b19c894f60b65a482244398e2b.png