Has there been any official announcement of this? I've been looking and I can't find anything other than a few unsourced rumours.

I mean, if they stick to the six week schedule, we can probably expect something to go beta in about the end of the month, but this makes it sound a lot more imminent and specific.

The way I read that post by Mephitic is that it is possible at some time that an update and bug fix is going to require we start a new game for it to work properly. A not unreasonable prospect given the nature for the formID bug.

Some people are going to be extremely reluctant to start again. Not me though. I am very used to starting new games/play throughs with BGS games. I don't get all that vested into my characters. This is obviously more appealing when we have alternate start mods etc.

A matter of time.

Yeah. Likewise not too worried about that. I've played Frank Henstyne now for longer than I think I have any character in any previous Bethesda game. If I have to go back to level one, that won't bother me too much. I had a whole raft of character ideas I wanted to try out, back before the game released.  I can think of two or three of them could stand some attention.