Dumb Question.

viquipy

Ok, so... I feel a little stupid for asking this, did some searching on the forum, didn't exactly find an answer, did some googling, still no straight answer.

I've been waiting to mess with any mods on skyrim until i had gotten very far through the main storylines/content, and some decent body replacers started coming out. Finally decided it was time to go ahead.

I am familiar with manual installs on the non-steam version of Oblivion. Drag to data, overwrite texture files, the standard procedure for most mods.

Took a little bit of looking to find where the Skyrim files were located:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data

Please correct me if I'm in the wrong place.

Upon opening the data folder I find 3 folders "Interface" "String" and "Video"

And then BSA files. No standard "Textures" "Meshes" folders like I was used to in Oblivion.

My question is, am I going to need to use a BSA extractor, change the files, and then repack them? Or am I on the wrong track? I have no experience in messing with BSA files, and just wanna make sure I'm not being dumb before I go mucking around in my skyrim folder trying to figure things out.

Manual install on Skyrim is almost exactly the same really, just directories are a little different. You're definitely in the right data folder. To add textures/meshes manually, all you gotta do is make the folders, although finding the exact directory might take a little searching depending on the mod. A quick example would be the Enhanced Blood Texture mod is located at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\Data\Textures\Blood

All I had to do to install the was make the Textures and Blood folder, then drop the .DSS files into the blood folder.

Another example would be the iWash mod that makes the men cleaner:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\skyrim\Data\Textures\Actors\Character\Male

Again, all you gotta do is make the proper folders to fit the path and drop in your files.

Sorry if I'm stating things you already know. If you still have a problem, post what mod you're trying to use and maybe I ( or someone else) could help further. :D

I wet ahead and extracted everything anyway in my version. It just makes things run a little smoother,(not having to de compress the items before using them) if you have the Hard drive space to waste.

but yes the file structure is almost identical to Oblivion, as far as textures, meshes, sound, and so on, but whats inside each of these is not the same. although it is very close, and in some case's exactly the same.

Archived