WTH!?! My launcher button just disappeared?

ok So i clicked on the SKSE icon I play with and my free avast antivirus shot me a warning and deleted my desktop SKSE icon?! I still see SKSE stuff in the Skyrim folder though? There is a file there that says SKSE 1.9.32.dll?  I am in a state of paralysis over here please someone tell me how to fix it.

I am crazy new to computers in general.  What do I do to get it back properly?

Please no conversations about which AV is the best or not. This ends nowhere, as fan boys are lurking everywhere.

if the installed AV becomes troublesome, just deactivate it's real-time scanner, for the time of playing Skyrim.
And, as already mentioned, add Skyrims folder and/or executables to the AVs exclude list(s).

Guest carywinton

Ok here is what you do, right click inside the Skyrim folder on the skse_loader.exe or if you are using the Steam version , skse_steam_loader.exe , slide your mouse down to "send to" a new window will open with various options, pick "Desktop" . This will recreate the desktop shortcut for you. Once you have the desktop Icon back you will want to follow some of the advice given above by adding this file to the list of "Exceptions" for your particular antivirus program. In this case you are using Avast , so I will help you with setting an exception for Avast . Click on Avast in the system tray, this is in the bottom right side of your screen near the clock, when the program opens go to "Settings" , select "Exclusions", then click on the "Add" button. Click on "Browse" to find the skse_loader.exe or skse_steam_loader.exe file in your Skyrim directory, once you browse to it, just click "OK" and that should be it. :D

Here is a Youtube video on how to do it as well. I hope this helps you get your game going again. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGpd9lc4CCE

I think I may have found a fix.

So whenever Avast! blocks the exe, it changes the file into something like T1afw.tmp (locacted in the same folder I tryed to extract it to), so I just remained the file to it's original name, and then made an exception for it.

My problem before was that I couldn't even extract the exe so I could tell Avast! to leave it alone in the first place.

Guest airdance

Any executable that redirects your computer to another site then tries to access data on your computer is in essence a virus or classified as spyware.

These software programs that are designed to protect your computer do just as advertised.

So it appears that in order to run our games we must effectively turn off our virus protection.

If you are going to play skyrim or other games you really need to switch off any programs that could be interfering in the background anyway. And anitvirus are such programs.

Just make sure to pull out you internet cable first. you do not want internet to be on when playing offline games anyway.

If you are going to play skyrim or other games you really need to switch off any programs that could be interfering in the background anyway. And anitvirus are such programs.

You don't even need to do that.

Just add the game folder to the exceptions list its not hard and it works, if you do it right.

if the AV has this functionality, that is.
Some have only file/folder exclude functionality and other only process exclude functionality.
AVs that have whitelists for both and are known to me, are MSE, Avast and Avira.

So if an AV has no exclude list for processes, it's best to disable the background scanner, while playing games.

Ok here is what you do, right click inside the Skyrim folder on the skse_loader.exe or if you are using the Steam version , skse_steam_loader.exe , slide your mouse down to "send to" a new window will open with various options, pick "Desktop" . This will recreate the desktop shortcut for you. Once you have the desktop Icon back you will want to follow some of the advice given above by adding this file to the list of "Exceptions" for your particular antivirus program. In this case you are using Avast , so I will help you with setting an exception for Avast . Click on Avast in the system tray, this is in the bottom right side of your screen near the clock, when the program opens go to "Settings" , select "Exclusions", then click on the "Add" button. Click on "Browse" to find the skse_loader.exe or skse_steam_loader.exe file in your Skyrim directory, once you browse to it, just click "OK" and that should be it. :D

Here is a Youtube video on how to do it as well. I hope this helps you get your game going again. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGpd9lc4CCE

CaryWinton I love you! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! 

Thank you everyone! I am going to go see if this works for me. 

I appreciate the AV suggestions, yes I should pay for a decent AV but the cost of living in Florida is no joke. Even though shamefully, I am considering setting something aside every week because the guy at avast just told me if I pay 175, I could get assistance through rdp for a year, even with mods?! This sounds like a dream to me, I am always secretly hoping and pleading for rdp offers and of course nobody wants anything to do with it. lol. I better start saving up now!

Thank you everyone for your brilliant advice. It is all priceless to me!

EDIT- CaryWinton it worked! I checked my SKSE version and its all there. Did I mention that I love you?!!!  Of course I did :) 

I am sorry to open this thread back up! 

I cant upgrade to version 131026-2, which fixes the problem for the long term.

Avast phone support was unable to tell me how to.  

I updated the program and the virus definitions, however Avast will not update further than Program version 2014.9.0.2006  Virus definition 131027-0.

SKSE is still in my quarantine and I still have the entire Skyrim folder in exclusions.

If someone would be so kind as to lend some advice?

Are there any other free antivirus that might play nice with SKSE?

For the time being, it is considered safe to DL any mods off of the Nexus and LL without virus protection on my Skyrim folder?  

Uninstall Avast it's shit anyway.

Avast! work fine.

If you are going to remove Avast! then use AVG.

Hey, Ark of Truth! :)

May I ask if MSE is ok in your opinion? Considering I did not know the difference, I went with MSE, as the little blue castle and banner icon was just too "lore friendly" for me to turn down. Is AVG better in your opinion or are they just about the same?

Archived