How to install Skyrim SE correctly. It's confusing...

Hi,

Actually, I solved my installation problem by using google, by checking some tutorials.

However, I'm still not sure if I used correct mods, settings, etc...

If you can clarify about what I did correctly or wrong, it'll be great.

I wanted to install Skyrim SE by using Steam in my F drive, in "Steam" folder.

I did. I wanted to install Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch - USSEP 4.2.9a

It says that it requires Skyrim Special Edition 1.6.629 or greater.

I downloaded SKSE Current Special Edition build 2.0.20 (game version 1.5.97).

I installed LOOT and SSEEdit.

I use NMM - Community Edition as the mod manager.

I installed SSE Engine Fixes (skse64 plugin)

After cleaning files, installing all necessary mods, I ran LOOT.

It said my Skyrim is AE version, not SE.

Because of that, some of the mods were incompatible with the AE version.

I have to remember you that I didn't by AE, and I didn't installed AE.

Then, I tried the start the game by using SKSE.

I got error from EngineFixes.dll

REL/Relocation.h(567) failed to open

It's because of different version SKSE, which is 1.5.97 that I use.

I wanted to use SE, not AE, SKSE for SE, not AE version.

So, I installed Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher.

As I know, using "Best of Both" version is better. Because, Full Patcher deletes also, instead of just downgrading only game code.

If you use a mod as Alternate Start - Live Another Life - SSE, needs these main updates that deleted by full patcher.

First of all, I uninstalled Unofficial SKyrim Special Edition Patch 4.2.9a.

Then, I found two older version.

Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch 1.5.97.0.8

Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch-266-4-2-5b-1623727189

I used 1.5.97.0.8 version.

After using older version USSEP, and Best of Both version downgrade patch mod, LOOT showed the game as it's Skyrim SE, not AE.

When I ran the game by using SKSE 64 for SE (2.0.20), I got no problem.

After all these problems that I had, I understood that version 1.6.629 is for AE, not for SE, and doesn't compatible with SKSE SE 2.0.20.

Instead of using the last version of USSEP, using older version of it that is compatible with 1.5.97 is better.

I don't know if USSEP 4.2.5b is compatible with SKSE 2.0.20.

I don't know if there is a better way/solution to avoid such problems during installation SE.

Why Steam downloaded and installed AE, instead of SE at first?

If you can give some information about this issue, it would be great. So, I won't have any problem in future.

Thank you in advance...

13 hours ago, nehaberlan said:

Why Steam downloaded and installed AE, instead of SE at first?

Because they're the exact same thing. AE is the name for anything Skyrim related that came after November 2021. Technically it's a paid DLC, but it's also the name of the update. And everyone gets the game update, regardless of you buying the DLC or not. AE is not a separate game, it's just the more recent content. And if you install the game now you get the most recent version.

13 hours ago, nehaberlan said:

After all these problems that I had, I understood that version 1.6.629 is for AE, not for SE, and doesn't compatible with SKSE SE 2.0.20.

Yes, if you use 1.5.97 you can't use mods for 1.6.629 or any versions above 1.6+ (any AE related content/updates). Keep in mind that if you do stay in 1.5.97 you'll have to constantly look for 1.5.97 versions of mods with SKSE plugins (mods with a dll). Any other file type is fine, except if you want to use content that specifically requires CC files (like the latest versions of the Unofficial patch that now require the 4 free CC that were added in the 1.6+ updates).

Edited by Just Don't
5 hours ago, Just Don't said:

Because they're the exact same thing. AE is the name for anything Skyrim related that came after November 2021. Technically it's a paid DLC, but it's also the name of the update. And everyone gets the game update, regardless of you buying the DLC or not. AE is not a separate game, it's just the more recent content. And if you install the game now you get the most recent version.

Yes, if you use 1.5.97 you can't use mods for 1.6.629 or any versions above 1.6+ (any AE related content/updates). Keep in mind that if you do stay in 1.5.97 you'll have to constantly look for 1.5.97 versions of mods with SKSE plugins (mods with a dll). Any other file type is fine, except if you want to use content that specifically requires CC files (like the latest versions of the Unofficial patch that now require the 4 free CC that were added in the 1.6+ updates).

Thank you for your information.

I didn't know those things.