Computer is down, hardware issues

Computer won't start, windows is not booting up 

Computer is 9+ years old, everything original minus pcu and I have windows 7

I was giving warning a drive was not working. I tried checking and installing updates. 3 out 5 worked, still got error that drive was dorked. Checked driver connections, looked good.

I have a primary hard drive and an SSD. I lost access to some folders on the SSD drive and this where I get confused. Not sure the operating system was on SSD. 

I'm leaning towards replacing cheaper hard drive and trying to install windows 10 with it, probably would try that process without SSD connected.

Any good info that keeps me from wasting money would be great, priority now is getting back online

A disk check might be good. Could just be a damaged file system, in which case it's probably repairable.

I don't suppose you have a bootable USB or similar? System Rescue can be very handy at times like this, both for getting online to search for solutions and for doing things like disc checks without needing the discs mounted.