Overclocking CPU by 500MHz for Skyrim Performance (safe?)

afro-herbalist

I'm already pretty comfortable with overclocking my HD4870 1GB, because its a pretty simple process, and I've never really had any problems with it. Although I DID once overclock to the max for Skyrim, but forgot to lock the fan at 100% speed, then ran the game at maxed out settings. Within two hours, I was starting to see weird artifacts like little red squares, green blotches, and strange geometry spikes. I checked the temp of my card, and it was just above 90*C. I know thats a lot, but I've thats quite normal for this card, however it still worries me. How can such a high temperature be normal!? I even get temps of 70* when my computer is idling, as in displaying nothing more than the desktop, but thats another story.

So with that, I was just wondering if anyone could give me any helpful/constructive advice in regards to overclocking my CPU, which Im NOT too confident about, since I've never done it before, and I dont want to fry it.

I dont know how long, OR how far its safe to overclock CPU's by. I was thinking just an extra 500MHz maybe, but this isn't my field.

All I want is to minimise lag in Skyrim, and I've read that the shadows/lighting system is actually handled by the CPU instead of the GPU for some reason, so clocking my CPU seems to be the answer. The performance enhancing mods dont make a lick of difference (one even made it worse) and I dont have £400 to splash on another ridiculously expensive upgrade, amounting to a ridiculously shortlived period of being upto-date. I might be futureproof for like 2 months, max, then have to spend another £200 on top. (the one thing I hate about PC's lol). So right now, overclocking seems to be my only option, but if its known to be less stable/safe than overclocking your GFX card, then I think I'll give it a miss.

My H/W specs are:-

-XFX Radeon HD4870 1GB

-4GB of RAM (knocked down to 3.12 thanks to XP 32bit)

-Dual Core CPU at 3.0GHz, capable of 64bit, but using 32bit.

Hope somebody can help! I wanna enjoy Skyrim as it was intended. Thanks!

If your CPU is default 3 Ghz you should be able to pump it to 3.2 safely. If you have an aftermarket cooler you could probably take it to 3.5 Ghz+. The best way to test if it is stable is to get a program called Prime95 and run it. It will stress the CPU at 100% and if none of the workers crash and you get no BSODS your build is stable. Keep in mind you have to let Prime95 run for a long time....some people even do 24 hours. The most I have done is 10. Just make sure your temps are good if you do leave Prime95 running.

CPU max temp should be no more than 65. GPU can go to 100+ but thats pushing it, 80 - 90 is alright but you might want to tone it down a bit.

If your stuff doesn't get too hot it should have a fairly long lifespan. I run a i5 2500K at 4.2 Ghz while turbo boosting and at 100% load it's only around 50 Celsius which is fantastic (aftermarket cooler). Still, If your CPU temp stays at 65+ all the time that will probably lower the lifespan significantly over time.

Archived