[ SOLVED] I accidentally selected the Resource Config file to open with Microsoft Visual Studio. How do I change it back to just be the white paper looking blank file icon?

Like the title says, I accidentally opened a config (.cfg) file with Microsoft Visual Studio due to a misclick when I was trying to organize the Mods folder. Now all .cfg files think they are Microsoft Visual Studio which messes with my OCD as well is somewhat problematic seeing as I actually can't even use Microsoft Visual Studio since I don't have a product code for it. Remember the days that all the extra Microsoft Apps that came with your computer like Microsoft Word and all that just let you use them without needing to buy anything or input a code? Yeah, I miss those days... Anyways can someone walk me through how to switch it back to the blank looking paper shaped icon? Please and thank you.

Current Look

Capture.PNG

What I want to change it back to

Capture.PNG.18772374114831c2bf2a95a8385b194a.PNG

Edited by 破壊神ビルス
17 minutes ago, mcromance said:

Option 4 here:

https://techcult.com/how-to-remove-file-type-associations-in-windows-10/

I used this method to remove association for package files before.

The first method I already tried and it didn't fix the issue. The second method is a little too complicated for me to trust myself with. The third method I am in the process of trying, but I can't find the .cfg folder in the registry editor, only options starting with .c are .cr and .crw. I'm going to attempt the forth method now.

Edited by 破壊神ビルス
20 minutes ago, mcromance said:

Option 4 here:

https://techcult.com/how-to-remove-file-type-associations-in-windows-10/

I used this method to remove association for package files before.

Got it using method four "Remove File Association for a particular app manually". Thank you so much for your help.

Edited by 破壊神ビルス
3 minutes ago, 破壊神ビルス said:

The first method I already tried and it didn't fix the issue. The second method is a little too complicated for me to trust myself with. The third method am in the process of trying, but I can't find the .cfg folder in the registry editor, only options starting with .c are .cr and .crw. I'm going to attempt the forth method now.

Don't mess with the registry.  Right click on the file, select "Open with".  Check the box at the bottom of the file list that says "always use when opening files of this type", then select Notepad from the list and hit OK.

• 破壊神ビルス changed the title to [ SOLVED] I accidentally selected the Resource Config file to open with Microsoft Visual Studio. How do I change it back to just be the white paper looking blank file icon?

Windows still comes with Wordpad and Notepad... I think. It just isn't at the forefront like it used to be. You can search for it, though.

I use Wordpad to open .cfg files. Would that be preferable to Visual Studio?

If so, just right click a .cfg file, select "Open With...", and find Wordpad and click "always".