Editing university townies?

I've started getting into the habit of pre-editing lots and townies and making a save of these edits so that I can start from there on new games, rather than having to redo everything every time. This works fine for regular worlds, and I know you can edit the lots of the Sims University world, but what about the townies there? With the regular worlds I can just play as the household I want to edit, but this isn't the case with the university or vacation worlds. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Edited by Omicr0n
  • Omicr0n changed the title to Editing university townies?
10 hours ago, Omicr0n said:

I've started getting into the habit of pre-editing lots and townies and making a save of these edits so that I can start from there on new games, rather than having to redo everything every time. This works fine for regular worlds, and I know you can edit the lots of the Sims University world, but what about the townies there? With the regular worlds I can just play as the household I want to edit, but this isn't the case with the university or vacation worlds. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Not sure if this will help you or no, but there are several threads on editing world on MTS.

https://modthesims.info/f/616/

I'm not sure if one needs a particular mod from NRaas to do this, so I'll just share some information.

1st: Like any world, the Uni town will be created when first used. If one doesn't want to pause the game once at University and do all their modifications at that time, they may be able to do it sooner.  When I open my edit town menu, in the upper left hand I have icons for each world officially recognized by the game as a travel location. In my case these would be the 3 World Adventure towns and the Uni town.  While I haven't done it, I understand these should load that world in edit mode just like the hometown, but when you leave the edit screen it should load you back into your original hometown and this information will be added to the next save made of that game just as if you had gone there.

Remember the files are a blueprint that is used for the save/game being played and any changes one make in that save will not affect other save/games or future use of said worlds.

I use Master Controller to edit most all Sims in any game I play - potato face default Sims make me cringe. At least many of the 'story' Sims created by the developers for each world are acceptable.

18 minutes ago, landess said:

I'm not sure if one needs a particular mod from NRaas to do this, so I'll just share some information.

1st: Like any world, the Uni town will be created when first used. If one doesn't want to pause the game once at University and do all their modifications at that time, they may be able to do it sooner.  When I open my edit town menu, in the upper left hand I have icons for each world officially recognized by the game as a travel location. In my case these would be the 3 World Adventure towns and the Uni town.  While I haven't done it, I understand these should load that world in edit mode just like the hometown, but when you leave the edit screen it should load you back into your original hometown and this information will be added to the next save made of that game just as if you had gone there.

Remember the files are a blueprint that is used for the save/game being played and any changes one make in that save will not affect other save/games or future use of said worlds.

I use Master Controller to edit most all Sims in any game I play - potato face default Sims make me cringe. At least many of the 'story' Sims created by the developers for each world are acceptable.

Yes, that is usually what I do. I have a bloated saved sims folder, full of MY remades, that I pop in... usually, as I encounter them when visiting that world. ) Almost sounds that OP wants what I have long been TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lazy to do, and edit the town files, similar to what was done with the "Fixed" Isla Paradiso. Not completely fixed, but more than I can do!!!

I actually should go thru that link and see what it might take to "permanently" edit the .world file, and possibly "permanetly" edit townies

And yes, you can edit the towns in edit mode, but do not think you can edit the Sims.

An FYI, I have used KW populate town from city hall, and most Sims seem not too bad in my experience. Of course the down side is that this tends to bloat a save file.

I haven't gone quite as far as using Create a World yet. Basically what I'm doing is just starting a new game, picking the world I want, editing the various households and lots that I want to, and then making a save that I can then use as a future starting point. The issue with the university world is while you can switch there to edit the lots, you're unable to load any of the households or access MasterController in order to edit any of the sims there. I'd like to be able to edit them before actually starting a game so that they're already set when my sim goes to university, but it doesn't seem like this is possible with the way I'm doing things. Seems like CAW might be the only option for fully editing the university world.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm also scared to use CAW ever since I read about the corruption issues it has. That's why none of the fixed worlds are included in The Sims 3 Performance & Bug Fix Guide on Steam

Q: Why are the world fixes not included into this guide?

A: Some of the world fixes have corrupted data, they have a lot of good routing fixes but worlds with ghosts sims, mummies and simbots in them seems to have corrupted data. This is due to the Create a World Tool Having a bug were saving a world with ghosts, mummies or simbots in it will corrupt those sims data which can lead to save game corruption/errors, and these worlds were fixed using the CAW tool. More info can be read HERE[www.moreawesomethanyou.com] at moreawesomethenyou under "Drawbacks".

Edited by Omicr0n
1 hour ago, Omicr0n said:

Which sent me to a moreawesome post from 12 years ago. You might look for more recent stuff, as CAW has been updated several times since that was posted. I have never used CAW, but others have, without issues. Either way, what you are doing is the same as I, and landess at this point, only you want to edit everything before your Sim actually goes. Not much difference to go, save and edit, as it will take the same amount of time to edit anyway, and the world will still only be as you made it for that single save series.

On 8/23/2022 at 9:23 PM, TheLadysGhost said:

Which sent me to a moreawesome post from 12 years ago. You might look for more recent stuff, as CAW has been updated several times since that was posted. I have never used CAW, but others have, without issues.

Not sure if the information about CAW is still accurate, but I have seen it quoted on several other sites. I guess it's not a problem if you're making a world that doesn't include ghosts/mummies/simbots, but I think many of the EA worlds include ghosts, so I guess to avoid corruption issues you'd have to delete them before resaving the world with CAW.

You do not need CAW for what you're asking and frankly it's kind of overkill. What you want to do can be easily achieved by sending any sim to the destination, performing whatever edits to the populace and lots that you want, performing a "reset everything" on the town through nraas master controller just to get everyone off the street and in a safe place, then immediately traveling back home and doing one final save. Within the folder of this save will be an NHD file for the world in question. This will be your "master" file. Plop this file into any save folder before traveling to the destination and it will load from this.

36 minutes ago, mint-waxed said:

You do not need CAW for what you're asking and frankly it's kind of overkill. What you want to do can be easily achieved by sending any sim to the destination, performing whatever edits to the populace and lots that you want, performing a "reset everything" on the town through nraas master controller just to get everyone off the street and in a safe place, then immediately traveling back home and doing one final save. Within the folder of this save will be an NHD file for the world in question. This will be your "master" file. Plop this file into any save folder before traveling to the destination and it will load from this.

Interesting. Where do you store the NHD's? Just a folder in Documents, I guess??? Either way, I will try this myself.

7 hours ago, mint-waxed said:

I was actually experimenting with this earlier today before I read your post. I was having issues though with this method but I wasn't following the exact steps you specified.

What I tried was to travel to the university, edit a sim, switch to another sim in the  same dorm/household, delete my original sim, save, and then copy the university NHD into the save folder I wanted to start from. The problem I noticed though is when I travelled to the university again from my starting save, while the edits I made did carry over, some of the sims that were living in the dorm where I originally made the edits from had disappeared from the world. Not sure if doing the total reset and making the final save outside of the university world will solve this. I'll have to give it a try.

Edited by Omicr0n
13 minutes ago, TheLadysGhost said:

As did @Omicr0n, I tried this and may have messed up a step, as when I placed the edited NHD in my current save, my KW settings did not work, as if it were a new save series. Also, not sure if the problem is that I tried it on Dragon Valley.

It doesn't matter what type of world it is, I run modified NHDs of store worlds all the time as travel or moving destinations. Just reimport your settings when you do these things. I always have to whenever my sims go some other place anyway, even though allegedly nraas mod settings are supposed to be inherited. It's never happened for me.

I wouldn't be as ballsy to load a master NHD into a save where that is my active world though. I feel like too many things can break and I believe you run the risk of the game creating clones of sims. When I was figuring this stuff out, some stuff broke like this. This is why I always leave the world I am making masters of before I set it aside and use a sim I throw away after so the game has no reason to become confused lol

• 2 weeks later...

I made another attempt at the NHD method again. This time when I sent a sim to the university to make the edits, I moved them into one of the empty rental houses instead. I also did the town reset after making the edits, and made the final save after having the sim drop out of university and move back home. I copied the university NHD over into my other save folder, and had my sim go to university. While the prior edits I made did carry over once again, I'm still encountering the weird issue of sims from random households disappearing from the world. They're not listed as members of the household that they should be, and if I try to find them using MasterController, they're nowhere to be found in the list of sims.

Not sure what's causing the issue, but it seems for me at least, this method of pre-editing the university world sims isn't reliable.

Edit: The disappearing sim issue might also just be a me problem, or some weird bug with the university world. I just sent my sim there normally without a pre-generated NHD, and I ended up with a sim missing from the dorm I chose to live in. I had to retry going to university 2 times before I could get all 7 of the other dorm sims to show up as part of the household.

Edited by Omicr0n