Creation Kit Compiler Ignoring Script Changes Including Errors?

dkatryl

For modders out there, particularly ones that have experience with the papyrus compiler.

So, I've been developming my mod for about 2 month, everything cruising along just fine.

Tonight, I go to make a small edit to one of my main scripts that handles the bulk of my stuff, and then I notice that one of the variable declarations that I had deleted was still listed under the properties.

I open the actual source the check it, and it's not there, despite showing up on the properties list.

Then I go to add a custom spell property... and this one does NOT show up on the list so I can link the specific spell.

Then I realize that I can get a "successful" compile no matter what I put in there.  I can put junk, bad syntax, junk in the wrong locations, it doesn't matter, the compiler acts like everything is fine.

Yet, any other script I try it on, it acts like normal, giving me a big old error if something is wrong.

Now, while I can say the script in question here is indeed my biggest one, we're only talking 32kb, so I can't imagine it is *that* big, especially when I know other mods, such as Sexlab Framework, have a script or two that is even bigger.  Yet, for some reason, tonight, the compiler is treating this script very oddly.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Have you tried compiling outside of the creationkit?

Honestly if you're doing heavy enough scripting to have a script that size you're doing yourself a huge disservice by trying to do it all in creationkit. Would strongly recommend getting Sublime Text 2/3 with the Papyrus plugin. Or Notepad++ and it's papyrus plugin if that strikes your fancy more.

Have you tried compiling outside of the creationkit?

Honestly if you're doing heavy enough scripting to have a script that size you're doing yourself a huge disservice by trying to do it all in creationkit. Would strongly recommend getting Sublime Text 2/3 with the Papyrus plugin. Or Notepad++ and it's papyrus plugin if that strikes your fancy more.

No I haven't.  I do everything in the CK because I like doing it the hard way!

I'll go check out those other ones.

Was just weird I've been using the CK and this particular script for ~2 months without a hitch, then suddenly, it's like it just ignores this one while happily compiling any other one properly.

Was just weird I've been using the CK and this particular script for ~2 months without a hitch, then suddenly, it's like it just ignores this one while happily compiling any other one properly.

No clue honestly, I've never used the CK for scripting, as soon as I started scripting I went straight to the plugin for Sublime Text. Doing it all in the CK sounds like a nightmare though.

There's guides on creationkit.com for setting up both:

Sublime Text: http://www.creationkit.com/Sublime_Text_Setup

Notepad++: http://www.creationkit.com/Notepad%2B%2B_Setup

Found the issue.  I had made a backup copy of the script and put it in my default Skyrim folder.  Did this last night.  For some reason, the Creation Kit was referencing THAT copy of the source when it went to compile, despite the source file inside the source file was physically being changed by the Creation Kit...

There was over an hour wasted for what should have been a ~2 minute edit. :dodgy:

I was actually trying to find where the hell the Notepad++ spat out the compiled script when I stumbled across the copy that was the problem.  Least I think it compiled, the little cmd window popped up and closed so fast I couldn't tell if it did.

Still have no clue where the Notepad++ version went, but at least for now, I was able to make my 2 minute edit in what I'm at least familiar with. :P

Archived