Creation Kit Render Window Flicker

I had to reset Windross 10 a couple of days ago, on my PC. After picking up the pieces, I see the Creation Kit Render Window is black and flickers/flashes constantly. It's almost like the refresh rate has gone out of the (ahem) window.  If I click on a world object, it will appear OK. But before long it will start flickering again.

I use an Intel/Nvidia system that is all up to date. I usually have refresh at 144MHz. I tried a different rate but this didn't affect the Render Window. I also tried replacing the CK with a backup copy.

Both Skyrim and Creation Kit are not on the C drive, they are away on an SSD.

Has anyone any ideas what's going on here?  

Many thanks for any help!

Edited by Bluegunk

The only time I've ever had any remotely similar issue with CK was when I had a really heavy reshade preset for skyrim. If you are using reshade in the skyrim directory and creation kit is also saved there it will apply the preset to both. This probably isn't your problem, but I thought I'd mention it to make sure.

Thanks! That was an interesting find.

OK, I tried a few things along those lines, including seeing if the new grass collisions were causing it, but the flashing stubbornly remains the same.

I'm bereft of ideas but I'll keep thinking!

I've run sfc /scannow, I've reintalled .NET 5.0 and 6.0, I've reinstalled latest Microsoft Visual C++, It doesn't work. I think it's maybe a driver or OS update that is incompatible. The only thing for now that might work is a system recover from at least a week.

Killer Wireless AC 1535 and 1435 Bluetooth Driver
URGENT Network, Ethernet & Wireless 08 Mar 2022
Add Alienware Aurora R7 System BIOS to the download list
Alienware Aurora R7 System BIOS
URGENT BIOS 09 Feb 2022
Add Intel Management Engine Components Installer to the download list
Intel Management Engine Components Installer
URGENT Chipset 30 Jul 2021
Add Intel UHD/Iris Plus Graphics Driver to the download list
Intel UHD/Iris Plus Graphics Driver
URGENT Video 30 Jul 2021
Add Killer Wireless 1435/1535 Wi-Fi Driver to the download list
Killer Wireless 1435/1535 Wi-Fi Driver
URGENT Network, Ethernet & Wireless 26 Jul 2021
Add Intel Serial IO Driver to the download list
Intel Serial IO Driver
URGENT Chipset 19 Jul 2021
Add Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver to the download list
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver
URGENT Storage 09 Jun 2021
Add NVIDIA GeForce GT 7xx/GT 10xx/GTX 10xx/GTX 16xx/RTX 20xx Desktop DC Graphics Driver to the download list
NVIDIA GeForce GT 7xx/GT 10xx/GTX 10xx/GTX 16xx/RTX 20xx Desktop DC Graphics Driver

Driver version 512.77 from Nvidia -- I had no problems. After updating to 516.40 I had problems. You can get 512.77 (and any of the other versions) here from the big Nvidia Driver list provided by Guru3d:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/videocards-nvidia-geforce-vista-|-7.html?fbclid=IwAR0ENYWkHY-kdCR0qIS4EFrHVE8SJIY8avtDtzRJ0eLP14nVEvxZpb1Ufvc

Need help doing clean-uninstall? Guru3d has DDU software (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html?fbclid=IwAR3YKYnJuXkLeinvUPFxtIsEP2Dat4UU_XA-iESUz6Fevx_uJnGzZbS3ROo) that will simplify the process. After you run it by allowing it to restart pc, it will have generic drivers installed. You then install the 512.77 drivers and once installed, open up device manager and ensure your monitor drivers were not rolled back to generic monitor drivers -- if they have then you'll need to install those again too. It fixed this problem for me and I've been posting about it for a few days now on what it could be, just now confirming it works since I was able to finally "roll back" and have no more flickers in Skyrim SE's Steam Creation Kit's Render window.

ps. If you have a GeForce Graphics Card then do the above else IDK how to help you but the DDU tool does help clean-uninstall l AMD drivers too.
Also, even the new 516.59 is giving problems so, at this point, I would say do a clean driver uninstall then install 512.77 -- just make sure you select the right download (notebook/desktop).

Edited by outlaw124

Interesting. Thank you! In the UK, I am on the NVidia 516.40, which must be an offending driver.  Am updating.  But if that fails I'll roll back.

And yes, the latest, 516.59 still shows the same problem.

I can absolutely confirm the 512.77 resolves the problem. 

Well done!!

I have reported this to Nvidia.

Edited by Bluegunk
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/5/2022 at 6:06 PM, vrublin said:

LOOOOOLLLLLL Tried everything from above messages. Was too lazy to dawngrade GP drivers. But not so lazy to simple upgrage thought geforce experience. It solve this problem. Greetings NVidia. I think all others could free upgrage drivers too.

Indeed, the latest set of NVidia drivers has finally sorted this flickering out! Pop the champagne corks, folks!